Axiom Home Page
Posted By: avian Can Subwoofer Be Eliminated? - 04/04/03 03:47 PM
If I get the M60 or M80, the VP150 and the QS8s, can I do without a subwoofer in a home theater set up? Since the M60s and the M80s have dual woofers with reasonably low frequency responses would that not suffice? Will a subwoofer make a significant contribution to the overall movie experience? Also, are low frequencies output via the sub while playing CDs?

Thanks.
Posted By: alan Re: Can Subwoofer Be Eliminated? - 04/04/03 05:10 PM
Hi avian,

Of course you can do without a sub with either the M60s or M80s. You'll give up some startling impact on some movie soundtrack effects, as well as some added deep bass foundation on orchestral double bass, bass drum, synth pop, pipe organ and the like.

You can set the A/V receiver menu to "No subwoofer" and "Large" for the main left and right, or, if you get a sub, you'd set it to "Subwoofer On" (or "Off" if you prefer) when you select the stereo mode for CD playback.

Regards,

Posted By: jbzngowest Re: Can Subwoofer Be Eliminated? - 04/04/03 08:31 PM
You'll miss plenty of effects on the movie side of things. For example, it's just not the same when the sub is off and the dinosaurs are doing their dinosaur thing in the Jurrassic Park Trilogy. Find a friend with a sub and borrow it for a test. I'm betting you'll hear the difference in a big way.
© Axiom Message Boards