Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Rookie Questionsssss - 01/13/09 08:23 PM
I'm 21 years old won't be moving out with the girl for about 3 years but I'm looking into getting a head start on things I'll want in my house now! I came across the Epic 80-600 Home Theatre System and I'm In Love. Now I don't have anything for starters well a 46' Samsung 1080p 25 000:1 TV I bought it a year ago and I'm gonna buy a bigger tv when I move out, I'm not worried about that...what I need advice on is this.
I've never had a receiver because I never wanted one I was fine with a couple of loud speakers my big tv and my ps3...Now I'm into the highest end of things and if I bought this epic 80-600 HTS I'd be happy but I still need a receiver...I was wondering if the Yamaha HTR6290B would be able to handle this massive speaker system or should I go another way. I also read about people having AMPS but I don't think I'd need one if I only have one sub and this big receiver right?
Posted By: alan Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 08:35 PM
Hi Rookie and welcome,

If your room isn't huge (5000 to 8000 cu. ft.), then most well-designed AV receivers will have ample power (100 to 120 watts per channel) to drive the 4-ohm M80 towers (part of the Epic 80-600 system) to very loud clean levels.

However, don't pick the Yamaha as some models in the past overheat or shut down driving the 4-ohm load of the M80s. The brands of AV receivers that have no problems driving the M80s are: Denon, Sherwood Newcastle (Axiom sells Sherwoods on our site), Rotel, NAD, and Outlaw Audio.

One subwoofer isn't a factor in terms of driving a system, as all subwoofers have their own internal power amplifiers. The AV receiver just supplies a small 2-volt signal to the subwoofer and you can add additional subwoofers later on if you wish, driven by the same AV receiver.

Regards,
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 08:38 PM
Ok I'll look into Denon I've heard plenty good about them, also the room I'm planning is going to be the basement in my house that I build in 3-4 years so it'll a good sized living room type area with couches carpeting that kind of thing. My only question with the Amp is I've seen other people on this site with set ups that included a massively expensive amplifier and I was hoping I wouldn't need it to be honest. the system should be able to run on it's own full power with a Denon receiver correct!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 08:39 PM
The m80's can sometimes not play nice with certain receivers because of their ability to play speakers rated at 4ohm. In the past some of the Yamaha and Onkyo's would play fine until you started to crank them up, they would then go into protection mode because of the current being drawn.

The newer models out have been more compatible. Axiom suggests using Denon, HK, NAD, Sherwood Newcastle, and a few others that have proven through the years to have no issues with 4ohm speakers. If your looking to spend that kind of money on a receiver, you have lots of options like the newer Denons with Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction built in.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 08:43 PM
If you look at the specs on the 60's or 80's, they will play around 95dB's (very loud) by only using 1 (one) watt, at a distance of 1 meter(3 ft).

So most of the time you will only be using 1-2 watts with peaks upto 80-100 during dynamic parts in music and movies. I do have extra amps for my 80's, however, my 5yr old Denon can drive them all by itself to levels most people would not listen. My room is like the batcave, 900 sq ft.

Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 08:54 PM
Hmmm so what you're saying is I don't need to buy some over expensive receiver so let's say I go with Denon, is something like the AVR-2809CI good it's got 115 watts per channel it costs 1200 american and it has the Audyssey MultEQ XT in-room acoustic correction system. I like what I read but what I need to know is if I bought just the Denon receiver I just listed and the 80-600 set-up would that be a sweet home theatre setup and would I need anything else. I'm 21 years old and that stuff would cost me 6 grand easy and I'm not blushing I want a sweet Home Theatre Set Up \:\)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:03 PM
The Epic 60-500 and an Onkyo TX-SR706 would be a sweet setup for significantly less money.

Sometimes, you can get the Denon 3808CI for about that same price if you CALL 6ave.com.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:05 PM
As long as the receiver has the bells & whistles your looking for, you don't have to break the bank. Also, don't get all hung up on watts either. The difference between a receiver with 100 versus 200 watts is 3dB, not a lot. Also, the price you list is MSRP, you may be able to shop around locally, or watch online and get it much cheaper.

Are you considering a 5.1 or 7.1 system, just wondering since you mentioned 6grand. It would be a lot nicer than what most can afford.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:05 PM
Yeah, lots of Axiomites have the Denon 280X (X=7, 9, etc). In fact, when I did a poll a couple of years ago, asking forum viewers which receiver or pre-amp/amp combo they used for their Axioms, of the over 200 responders, Denon was the brand that was mentioned the most. The overwhelming majority used just a receiver. Amps are not required, generally speaking.
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:08 PM
If I bought that Denon 3808CI is it that much better then the 2809CI what's the better bang for the buck?
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:10 PM
and I'm looking at 7.1 that's why I want a good receiver that can handle the system ! and by what I've learned I've come between two Denons....
Posted By: Adrian Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:37 PM
Rookie, you should be able to find that 2809 much, much cheaper than $1200 US. I'm new to this forum myself, you may want to ask some of the senior members here if you really NEED 7.1 over 5.1. Maybe the extra $$ is better spent on the receiver vs the extra surrounds...just a thought.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:40 PM
If you go to the Denon website you can do comparisons between thwe models to see exactly what the differences are. You can also call Denon Tech support. I found them very helpful and courteous. I believe the 3808 can get software upgrades off the computer.
I purchased a 2309 and plan on running the Epic 80-350. (I'm buying in pieces. Just ordered a pair of M9o's and an EP350) I'm planning on this sounding awesome. I probably would have gone for the 2809 if I had a few more bucks.)

What led you to Axiom?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:42 PM
The Force
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:43 PM
My opinion is that any improvement from 5.1 to 7.1 is heavily dependent upon your room configuration, and may not be worth it for many people.

72% of JP's statistics are totally made-up.

The 3808 has a nicer user interface and built-in ethernet streaming. If you have many computer-based audio files and will not have a computer co-located with the theatre system, it might be a good way to access that content.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:44 PM
With Bluray and the new HD DTS and Dolby, I wonder if that is still true? It has got to be better then PLIIx which I use all the time.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:46 PM
Yes, it is still true that 72% of JP's statistics are totally made-up.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:47 PM
Who's JP?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:49 PM
Me! (My real name).

My Secret Service code name is Anaconda.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:50 PM
Gee, I made it all the way to Veteran status without Alan answering any of my posts. How about if I say that I want to spend 6 grand? \:o
Posted By: Adrian Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:54 PM
Alan will fly you to Dwight, roll out the Red Carpet for you, bring out all the Axiom workers and present you with an Axiom Pen. That's what I heard anyway. ;\)
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:55 PM
I have this dream, of never going to the movies again and laying on my sweet furniture in my sweet basement with my girl watching movies with the 7.1 surround sound and the huge TV and my head spinning and well this Axiom 80-600 HTS caught my eye I want it badly in 7.1 and with a good 7.1 Denon receiver my dream can come true !
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:58 PM
I say forget the huge TV and get a projector and huge 130" screen like me, then you will never ever go to the movies again.

Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Questionsssss - 01/13/09 09:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
I say forget the huge TV and get a projector and huge 130" screen like me, then you will never ever go to the movies again.

Boy I wish I had the room to put in something like that!
Posted By: dewd Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 12:19 AM
Rookie, are you planning on buying this stuff now before you have the house? Are you planning to use it or pack it away?

The reason I ask is things change all the time. The speakers are a good investment since good speakers today will still be good in 3 years. However, a good AVR today will be outdated tomorrow. Plus, if you are not using them now, the warranty will be wasted in storage.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 02:48 AM
Rook, welcome. That Yamaha should be fine with the Epic 80-600 in the vast majority of setups. As is true of all amplifiers, including those in receivers, if they get driven hard enough and long enough their protective circuits will shut them down, but generally there's no problem when they're used sensibly. Note that the "massive speaker system", as you called it doesn't necessarily require massive power; in fact very often the bigger speakers in a line are more sensitive than the smaller ones and require less power. This is the case with the M80s, which require less power than many smaller speakers.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 03:41 AM
My vote is for Denon 3808. I don't know the specs on the 2900 series of Denon's, but 3808 has MultEQ XT (Audyssey). Having tried both MultEQ and MultEQ XT, the extra filters on the XT version made a big difference for me.

I just started using Internet radio on the Denon and it worked really well. I was pretty surprised how well it worked. I was able to listen to Korean stations with no issues whatever.

The ability to save off configs via the builtin web server should not be overlooked (if you like to tinker).

You can configure just about anything you'd like on the 3808 and it's a nice system.

But if you're not going to buy it for another 8 months or so, wait and see what comes out. If nothing else, the 3808's will be that much cheaper.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 03:41 AM
Oh, and don't forget to include a nice remote (URC MX900 is the one I have and *LOVE* it).
Posted By: Hansang Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 05:52 AM
I just saw this thread over at AVS: "Denon 2809CI vs 3808CI differences" It's pretty comprehensive.
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 01:19 PM
My idea revolves around the fact that at the end of the summer I get the basement when my sister moves out...meaning a bedroom and the basement living room so I was thinking it'd be nice if I bought the receiver and epic 80-600 set up and had it on me when I move out in 3 years...however im starting to think maybe I should just wait until I move out because in 3 years everything will change...hopefully in a less expensive direction lol
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 01:26 PM
Good speakers will remain good for years and years, heck I still have my 80's Pioneer 4-ways. \:\)

Receiver, DVD, etc. technology is always changing. Maybe buy a lower end receiver for 3-400 bucks for now, and get something later, that way you can enjoy the Axioms NOW>>>>>>
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 01:55 PM
I was just looking at more of the set ups people have and the giant pull down screens like a 92' elite screen is absolutely BEAUTIFUL omg omg omg lol this isnt fair i want everything...I want epic 80-600 plus that screen plus a 1500 receiver plus whatever else id need im thinking a projector for the screen eeeeee
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 02:03 PM
ok nevermind projectors are two expensive effff that
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 02:44 PM
Ok me and the girl decided were gonna sit tight for now because buying a house is gonna cost enough money in 3 years lol SO when I come back in 3 years I'm gonna ask you guys questions but I do know I want a project and an elite screen now...take care everyone till next time
Posted By: RickF Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 02:53 PM
Later.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 03:06 PM
Ah, the magic of reality...
Posted By: Listener Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 03:54 PM
You can get the denon 2809ci for less than 800 on ebay. I got mine during the 25% microsoft cashback and only paid 600 for it.
Posted By: Listener Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 04:05 PM
nevermind i just read the last posts.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 04:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: Rookie
My idea revolves around the fact that at the end of the summer I get the basement when my sister moves out...meaning a bedroom and the basement living room so I was thinking it'd be nice if I bought the receiver and epic 80-600 set up and had it on me when I move out in 3 years...however im starting to think maybe I should just wait until I move out because in 3 years everything will change...hopefully in a less expensive direction lol

Waiting will mean you'll go 3 years without the joy of a home theater. Things may change in 3 years, but no so drastically that you'll wish you never bought the system.

The speakers will last you MANY years. You already have a TV, so that's something you won't need for 3 years. You can get a good receiver for about $800 that will run the system and keep you happy for at least 3 years....maybe you'll want to replace it in 3 years, maybe not.

And as far as projectors go? If you got one of the best LCD's out there now (Samsung 55"), you'll pay almost $5000. You can get a GREAT projector (Epson 6500UB) AND a 103" screen for about $3500-4000.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 05:10 PM
I want a refund.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 05:45 PM
I know who wears the tie in Rookie's family. ;\)
Posted By: HAY Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 06:13 PM
It's a better idea to save the $$ for the house. Unless you make some good $'s once you get the house the entertainment (H/T) budget will most likely be put towards other furnishings, bills, closing costs and all that fun stuff. So maybe you should buy some stuff now ;\)
Posted By: Rookie Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 08:35 PM
Although i agree with most stuff lol I do have to say I'm the kind of person that wants the best and I have about 10 thousand to spend right now which I'd rather keep in my pocket because in three-four years when I move out and build my own living room based on a home theatre system I'm going to want the NEWEST and TOP equipment ladies and gentleman thats just how it goes for me!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 08:41 PM
Don't forget when you buy a new/used house, there are always unexpected costs that arise....from lawyer fees, repairs, possible hidden taxes, home insurance, decorating/furniture ect. Just something to keep in mind ;\)
Posted By: RickF Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 09:36 PM
Although i agree with most stuff lol I do have to say I'm the kind of person that wants the best and I have about 10 thousand to spend right now which I'd rather keep in my pocket because in three-four years when I move out and build my own living room based on a home theatre system I'm going to want the NEWEST and TOP equipment ladies and gentleman thats just how it goes for me!

Well alrighty junior, we'll see you in 3 to 4.
Posted By: lhulls Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 09:57 PM
Hello Rookie

Forget the theater system and the house in three years, go to school and get a REAL education if your not already doing so.

Good luck and be educated.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 10:12 PM

The minute the ring goes on her finger, her priorities will change. Your $10K will instantly get sucked into all the house hold items (which imo is a good thing).

Hell, if you open a 529 with that $10K you'll be LIGHT years ahead of people (for your future children's college needs)
Posted By: dewd Re: Questionsssss - 01/14/09 11:46 PM
Reality Bites!

On the list of priorities, a home theater should be near the bottom. Make sure everything else is in order first. If you have $10k now, don't waste it on things you don't need. If you still have the money after your bills are paid and the house is finished, go ahead and spend SOME of it. Never get you self in a position where you rely on the next paycheck.

Man, I must be getting old. I sound like my parents. Somebody help me!!!
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Questionsssss - 01/15/09 12:14 AM
I guess that's why I'm just getting a system after 26 years of marriage!
Posted By: RickF Re: Questionsssss - 01/15/09 01:34 AM
Only took me 23 Bob.
Posted By: fredk Re: Questionsssss - 01/15/09 01:38 AM
It took me a divorce so I guess you guys are doing ok.
© Axiom Message Boards