Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BoB/335 QS4 vs QS8 - 01/21/09 02:57 AM
I don't remember seeing a direct comparison and I've looked through the forum.
Anyone do a direct comparison?
Posted By: doormat Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/21/09 04:00 AM
Check out danmagicman's comps:

QS4 vs QS8

Scroll around to find the relevant posts (photos a couple down, review about 8-10 or so down).
Posted By: RickF Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/21/09 04:07 AM
Here's the specifications comparison ... QS8-QS4 Comparison Chart.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/21/09 09:40 AM
Thanks guys. Both of your posts about says it all for me!
Posted By: Adrian Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/21/09 04:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: doormat
Check out danmagicman's comps:

QS4 vs QS8

Scroll around to find the relevant posts (photos a couple down, review about 8-10 or so down).

Wow, Dan's comparo made for some good reading. That was quite the informative comparison on all the speakers/subs he tested.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/22/09 09:49 AM
See Adrian. With comparisons like these, who needs to go hear them in person.
Posted By: Adrian Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/22/09 04:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335

I placed my order today, Bob!
Posted By: vassillios Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/22/09 07:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335

I placed my order today, Bob!

aaaaannnd?
Posted By: Adrian Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/22/09 07:28 PM
I need a hug.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/26/09 12:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I need a hug.

Sorry! I never gave you a hug.

So to add to my numerous uninformative posts, I just want to make this clear one more time.

I was reading the add for the Full Metal Bracket Wall Mount. I just noticed that the description doesn't mention surrounds at all. Yet the picture shown for application shows a QS speaker. Every time I look at that picture I try to imagine how much, if any, that will help my livingroom situation (couch and loveseat right against the back and side walls) where my QS8's will be over my head and just off the left side of loveseat and right side of couch. I planned on getting these brackets but I don't frrl I will gain much with that angle. I don't think I will hear much tweeter with the stock bracket. The stands might be best but will never do between WAF and costs.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/26/09 03:22 PM
I think we need a photo. What's blocking the tweeters with the standard mount? If it's just that they're not pointing at you, they're not really supposed to.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/26/09 05:16 PM
If they were on stands to the sides or low on the walls wouldn't they be pointing at me?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/26/09 05:31 PM
You don't really want the tweeters pointing at you. Perhaps the blank face of the surround, but they're meant for diffuse sound. Alan actually generally recommends they be above your head; that's where mine are (although I'm the first to admit mine aren't ideally placed).
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/26/09 05:33 PM
Thanks Calvin ;\)

I'll save myself 80 bucks to put towards some Monster Cables.
Posted By: RickF Re: QS4 vs QS8 - 01/26/09 05:41 PM
From Alan's 'Essential Guide to Home Theatre Layout' article...

'As you are reviewing the diagrams, remember that the goal of all speaker placement for movie soundtrack playback and multichannel music reproduction—even stereo -- is a smooth, consistent and unbroken soundstage across the front, coupled with a sense of envelopment in the ambient surround effects. In other words, you're after a sense of location, whether that is suggested by what's on-screen, by the recording venue or even the dry, intimate acoustic of many pop/rock studio recordings.

As you experiment with speaker locations, think back on a really great Dolby Digital movie presentation in a big cinema when you had a good seat in the central part of the auditorium. You are not constantly looking up at the surround speakers on the side walls or at the back of the theater. The same applies to a home installation. You don't want to “hear” the location of specific surround speakers or, for that matter, your main left and right front speakers. Involvement in the movie or music (whether multichannel or not), is everything . That is the goal.

Click here for the article

© Axiom Message Boards