Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Parin W22's in HT - 02/09/09 10:34 PM
1) I plan to have a large screen with a width of about 108" (120" diagonal), and place the W22's (only want on-wall or in-wall speakers, although I know most people will try to convince me otherwise) on each side of the wall, which would be about 10' apart from each other. We are looking to sit about 12-15' back from the wall. For HT purposes, are those speakers going to be too spread out from each other for this sitting format?
Isn't it better to have the speakers aimed straight at you?
These speakers stick out too much from the wall to place them behind a mounted screen, right?
2) And is the on-wall center channel directional or does it need to be? Do I need to have it placed on the wall at ear level? I think that would be at 4' or so.

Thanks!
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 12:24 AM
My opinion is not to have speakers behind a screen. I did some research here and found that you will sacrfice picture quality and sound quality. As tempting as it is to do it this way.

I love the look of the W series. The are very clean and you can make them blend with your decor. The only problem I see with them is that you can't angle them or move them. Once you place them you are pretty much stuck.

I have a 136 inch screen and here is how I set up mine only with the M80's, EP500 and VP150. It sounds great and at the same time I have some flex. on speaker placement Tweaking.

Posted By: Adrian Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 12:37 AM
Wow! nice HT. Do you charge admission? \:D
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:00 AM
Here are the rest of the pics of it. Hmmm, charge admission, there is an idea for a 2nd income.

paul
Posted By: Parin Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:15 AM
wow...nice set up man!

I may have to revert to the m80's or m60's.

We have 2 sofas, placed in an L shaped configuration....and one of them (loveseat) will start at about 5' from the screen. The larger sofa is 15' back from the screen. If I ditch the loveseat, then I will have have less seating but could place a tower on the sides....tough choice!
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:33 AM
Thanks, I used to fly airplanes for a hobby. My wife likes this one much better, it's not nearly as expensive and she always knows where i am. LOL.

I think M22's would work really well if you have them matched with a great sub like the EP500.

I am considering the W series for my living room in the future. They have great "wife approval factor" and sound great, and I am not going to be a critical about their location. For me that is where I see the W series fits best, living rooms (2nd media room), bedrooms, kitchens, etc.

The great thing is what ever you decide, I am sure you will be very pleased with the Axiom lineup.

Happy shopping!

paul
Posted By: merchman Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:34 AM
Very nice set up Paul.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:37 AM
Hey Adrian,

What are we doing wrong?
Posted By: Wid Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:38 AM

Pretty slick set up Paul.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:52 AM
I like the Star Wars posters, I have some form the original movies back in the 70's I need to put on the walls. ;\)
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:59 AM
I got lucky with a few things here.

My wife and I moved back to the London area from the GTA and found a 1 acre lot where we could build a custom home. I kid people that the HT room was the room I designed first. That is actually not so far from the truth. Imagine if you had a clean slate for a new home, design an custom floorplan, anything you want, what room would you start with???

The bedrooms are on the other side of the house, by design. You will also notice this room has no windows. That also was by design. Also, the builder we used digs the basements with a 9 foot ceiling. That really helped to get the height needed for a larger screen and the risers in the back.

paul
Posted By: RickF Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 02:02 AM
Very nice Paul, I really like the colors. That looks like a very nice sized room, what are the dimensions?

Are you still doing any flying at all?
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 02:23 AM
Room dims are 17 x 25 x 9
Posted By: SRoode Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 02:51 AM
Paul,

I love that room! Very nice! It looks like you could sink into those seats.
Posted By: Adrian Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 03:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335
Hey Adrian,

What are we doing wrong?
Ummmmm, guys, just one question, if I may interject here for a minute....what are the first symptoms of upgradeitis? I'm either starting to come down with that or possibly the less rare malady known as greenwithenviotitus. Can't some of you guys with "crappy" HT's post some pictures to make us feel better?
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 03:19 AM
Thanks, ya, the seats are pretty comfy, I have caught my self nodding off a few times.

The real kicker is the projector tells me how many hours are on the bulb. Currently 914 hours in just over 2 years.

That is a sobbering thought when you consider how much time I actually spend in that room watching movies, sporting events or playing Xbox360. I think to my self, I could have been doing something much more productive in that time. Then I think, na, this was time well wasted!

paul
Posted By: Parin Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 03:33 AM
I talked to a guy at crutchfield, and he said if I have a good reciever with Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ room calibration system or something similar, than I should be OK with the speakers being that far apart.

Is that true?

again..nice pics man.
Posted By: JohnK Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 03:47 AM
Parin, that separation is by no means "far apart". A general suggestion is that speakers should be separated by about as much as your distance from them, which would even justify a couple more feet of separation in your setup.

As to the Crutchfield rep, although Audyssey has been found to be beneficial by most users, the separation isn't a factor which is corrected for.
Posted By: Parin Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 04:01 AM
Thanks man....W22's here I come!!!! woohooo!
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 05:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: Worfzara
I got lucky with a few things here.

My wife and I moved back to the London area from the GTA and found a 1 acre lot where we could build a custom home. I kid people that the HT room was the room I designed first. That is actually not so far from the truth. Imagine if you had a clean slate for a new home, design an custom floorplan, anything you want, what room would you start with???

The bedrooms are on the other side of the house, by design. You will also notice this room has no windows. That also was by design. Also, the builder we used digs the basements with a 9 foot ceiling. That really helped to get the height needed for a larger screen and the risers in the back.

paul

As little as a month ago I NEVER would have thought to design a house with a HT! Actually I don't think my wife is fond of a dedicated HT room. I sure would definitely plan a better livingroom than I now have. I've said for years that my next home would have a NON WALK-THROUGH livingroom. Meaning you can't get to ANY other part of the house going through the room.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 05:41 AM
If you look through the gallery, you'll see my living room a couple of times. It ain't nothing special, other than the Axioms and the cabinet I built myself.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Very nice Paul, I really like the colors. That looks like a very nice sized room, what are the dimensions?

Are you still doing any flying at all?

Rick, I only fly today on commercial airliners, usually for work, sometimes for vacation. I am still facinated with avaition. My dream was always to be an airline pilot, but due to my eyesite, I can't pass the commercial physical. Only the private.

I got my private licence in 1997 pretty much to proove to myself that had I could have gone on to this career.

Flying today is simply too expensive. At over $100 / hour for plane rental, I just can't afford to to do it anymore. Maybe be once my house is payed off and kids are out of college, I might take it up again.

No regrets on getting it though, actually next to my wife and kids, one of the most proudest moments of my life. Passing the exam and flight test.

paul
Posted By: DaveG Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 01:10 PM
Nice set-up Paul.
Posted By: Ajax Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 02:36 PM
I HATE you, Paul (HATE, in this case, should be translated as envy with admiration). Your room looks so nice, uncluttered, and attractive. I'm one of those unfortunate people that perceives any open space as a vacuum which MUST be filled. Consequently, in most of my home, there is no open wall space or floor space, except that which is necessary to navigate through the room. UGH! Makes it a pain to keep clean (ya gotta move stuff just to vacuum thoroughly) and looks messy and clogged.

Congrats on a really nice job!!! \:\)

Posted By: RickF Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 03:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: Worfzara
Flying today is simply too expensive. At over $100 / hour for plane rental, I just can't afford to to do it anymore.

Yep, I hear you there Paul.

I really like the 16' wide dimension of your room, ours is 14' wide by 25' long and I really wish there was a couple of more feet in width for better seating, yours looks ideal with plenty of room from the sidewalls to the seats. Very nice setup!
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 03:46 PM
Hey Adrian,

Make a note! When you (we) get to build a HT make sure the minimum room size is 16' x 15'.
Posted By: Adrian Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 04:06 PM
That's close to my family room size (19x13), I just have a few obstacles within that, namely glass doors, fireplace, open hallway adjoining one side, breakfast nook on the other, hardwood floor...yadda, yadda....nothing an "audiopile" can't work with.
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 07:06 PM
It's funny when you design a house floorplan from scratch. I did it using AutoCAD and 8-1/2 x 11 sheets of paper. The first question is how many square feet of living space are we going to have / can we afford. Then it becomes how many bedrooms do we need / want. So you figure that out, then lets make sure the place is functional. Only then did I started organizing the basment and defining where the HT room would go and it's size. However when you are working on a computer screen and small paper you have no real concept of size. And for every sq. foot you increase, the cost around $100 to $150. That can add up very quicly. Although using AutoCAD it's really easy to do. LOL

So the process is simply this; I spend an hour comming up with a floorplan, print it, take it to my wife, she says, "No Paul, that's no good", I then go back to the computer, make changes and the process repeats itself about a million times.

Then after they frame the house, we do it all over again. This closet is too small, the door way is too big, etc.

It's fun, in a stressful kind of way.

paul
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 07:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
I HATE you, Paul (HATE, in this case, should be translated as envy with admiration). Your room looks so nice, uncluttered, and attractive. I'm one of those unfortunate people that perceives any open space as a vacuum which MUST be filled. Consequently, in most of my home, there is no open wall space or floor space, except that which is necessary to navigate through the room. UGH! Makes it a pain to keep clean (ya gotta move stuff just to vacuum thoroughly) and looks messy and clogged.

You know that I did a little staging for these pics. I have a 3 and 5 yearold. I have a "no toys" rule in the HT room. It usually gets followed.

Thanks again, I try really hard to keep it neat and tidy.

paul
Posted By: jakewash Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 07:27 PM
A dedicated HT should be a Toy Free Zone.....<<<<<wakes up>>>>> Where'd my room go!!!??
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 07:51 PM
Does that mean no Toy Story?
Posted By: Worfzara Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 07:52 PM
LOL!
Posted By: jakewash Re: W22's in HT - 02/10/09 08:35 PM
As long as the toys can put themselves away like they do in Toy Story, I would allow them in.
© Axiom Message Boards