Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ghost271 Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 02:22 AM
I recently sent my Klipsch RF82s, RC62, and RB61s back to Future Shop after realizing some of the speakers where 'returns' and sold again as new. In my search to support the little Mom and Pop shops and a Canadian made speaker, i happened to audition the PSB Image 45s. They were OK but I wasnt thrilled. I then listened to the Imagine T and was blown away. However just the front 3 speakers alone will cost $2500. That was almost double what my Klipsch fronts cost but i was impressesd enough to hold out and save the money.
That was until two days ago when i started reading about the Axioms. Im dumbfounded by the fact that i can get a M60 set, a pair of QS8s, and a 150 center channel for $500 less than the Imagines !!!!!

That being said, im a bit gun shy with buying speakers without hearing them first. I understand the 30 day trial but the return shipping of a set that large has got to cost a couple hundred to ship back if im not happy. So im coming here to ask people who have heard the PSB Imagines how the Axiom M60s compare. I like a clean bright sound, but not as ear piercing as the Klipsches. The one thing that i loved with the Klipsches was their engulfing soundstage and that made me feel like i was in the movie and not just watching.
Ill be using my system 90/10 for movies/music. I have a sub already and am in a 14x12' room.
I really appreciate anyones input.

- Joel
Posted By: Adrian Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 02:31 AM
Hi Joel, if you go to the "hearing things" thread you might find someone who lives near you who could give you an audition, or if you're in Ontario, you could go to Dwight and hear them at the factory.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 09:03 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Another thing you can do is CALL Axiom and see if there is anyone nearby they could contact on your behalf to get an audition from. Auditions are great fun and this means you get to hear some Axioms with no moneyrequired for return shipping just in case you don't like them, although if you liked Klipsch I think you will still like Axiom.

If you are in my area I am more than willing to give auditions.
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I live in Surrey,BC and by looking at the list nobody has what im looking at except for a couple people on the Island.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 04:12 PM
Call Axiom, there a few more people in the Vancouver area than those on the list with what you are looking at, and as I mentioned, you really do not need to listen to exactly the same setup, M22/M60/M80 VP100 or Vp150 are all very similar, most unfamiliar with each individual sound wouldn't know the difference with blind testing.
Posted By: onn Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 04:25 PM
Have you checked in Washington state?
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 06:13 PM
Thanks a ton guys. Ill call Axiom again today. Are their speakers actually made in Canada? I know PSB are made in China but Engineered in Canada. Big differance and i want to support Canadian jobs as best i can.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 06:20 PM
Drivers and XO(?) I know are made in China then shipped here for the final assembly, I would say they are made/assembled in Canada with Chinese made parts \:\) You would be supporting many Canadian jobs.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 06:36 PM
I don't have the PSB Imagine T, but I have the Image T55. Assuming the technology has only gotten better over time, and by the look of the speakers, they are likely worth the price. I have not been able to compare my towers to M80 or M60, but have paid attention to those that have. I have never heard much distinction mentioned between the sound of the PSB towers and the Axioms, only a price difference. Now, the Imagine is new, so who knows, but they wont' top the High end PSBs, which have been compared favorably to the Axioms. So, some comfort, but you probably need a listen.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/13/09 06:38 PM
Check your messages, Ghost.
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/14/09 05:15 AM
Kruncher, thanks for the invite !
However after talking to Axiom again, if i didn't like the speakers at all it would only cost me $125 to have them all shipped back. So tommorow I am going to place my order. I am stoked beyond belief!!

The last time I made a purchase site unseen was for a $1800 paintball gun back in 2004. I wasn't disappointed at all. I'm hoping this choice will be just as good.
In addition, I will then be able to let others audition my system if they want to. I'll be sure to take pics of my man caveonce they arrive and are set up, and give an overview of how I like them. In financial times such as these, being able to save $1000, get an additional two surrounds, AND support my Canadian brothers and sisters when people are being laid off, really made this leap of faith a no brainer.
If these sound as good as the older Energy C500s I'll be very pleased.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/14/09 08:32 AM
Congrats and here's hoping \:\)

You could still take Kruncher up on his invite anyway, it is a good way to meet other 'Speaker Geeks' as my wife calls us. Then you could still cancel if they are not for you and save the $125.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Need Experianced Owners Opinion - 03/14/09 12:23 PM
Those M60's should rock that room! Anxious to hear your feedback once they are a rocking.. Make sure you recalibrate everything once the new speakers arrive. Do you have a Radio Shack SPL meter?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/14/09 03:42 PM
take pictures!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/14/09 03:56 PM
Welcome ghost271,

Congrats on your purchase! I hope you enjoy your Axiom speakers as much as I do.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/14/09 04:23 PM
No worries. As we all know, what's most important is what you hear in your room anyway, and what better way than to order and try them out?

We know that you're not likely to be disappointed, though it does happen on rare occasion. I'm sure that you'll be enjoying boo-tiful music, Ghost. \:D
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/14/09 06:47 PM
I like the tight knit group you guys have here. Just finished reading a ton more reviews during my break on my iPhone, and another old school HiFi coworker of mine was telling me how good Axiom are. That meant a lot to me considering he's been an audiophile probably since i was born.
So like a kid at Christmas, im eagerly awaiting my shift to end so i can go home and place my order. Thanks Again guys!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/14/09 08:45 PM
Are you going to order A stock or B stock from the factory outlet (10% off)? If you go with the B stock from the factory outlet there is usually a wait period involved (2-3 weeks approx).

Good luck! \:\)
Posted By: davekro Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/15/09 01:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: ghost271
I like the tight knit group you guys have here.

Ghost,
Yes, there are a couple 'tightly wound' folks here, but most are more loosely wound, with a few even a few channels short of full surround if you get my meaning. \:D

My myriad, inane queries often put me into the latter category, though I do appreciate everyone's patience. ;\)
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/15/09 03:04 AM
Well I was going to order A Stock, but as I was trying to finish my payment method via Paypal, I get this message

'This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow.'

I cut up my Visa awhile ago to prevent minial spending and have all my info except I forgot to write down my CVD number, so I can't just pay directly with my card now. Hopefully its just a Paypal error and I'll try again tommorow. Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to order another card and then wait another few weeks >:(
Posted By: JohnK Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/15/09 03:17 AM
Joel, congrats on your buy decision. If it became necessary, I'd think that by supplying your full i.d. information to your credit card issuer that they would give you the CVD number.
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/15/09 03:22 AM
Thanks John. I'll probably try that tommorow morning. Good idea.
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/15/09 11:51 PM
Called Visa and they have to issue me a new card as they have no idea what the CVD number is. I emailed Brent this morning and forwarded my email to their webmaster. Hopefully it'll be fixed tommorow. Otherwise I'll have to wait another 2 weeks for my new card to arrive.
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/17/09 07:52 PM
Placed my order today straight thru Paypal. Now im just waiting for my order confirmation and for Santa er... Purolator to deliver my presents !
Posted By: Adrian Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/17/09 08:01 PM
A toast to ghost!! hey, that's catchy....Congratulations!!
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/17/09 10:23 PM
Confirmation and tracking received ! Hopefully they get here by the weekend \:\)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/17/09 10:25 PM
Sweet!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/17/09 10:41 PM
Warm up your Happy Dance.
Posted By: LRA Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/18/09 03:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: ghost271
Confirmation and tracking received ! Hopefully they get here by the weekend \:\)

I'm wondering if you will feel the need for a power amp! keep us posted
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/18/09 09:06 AM
If you are very, very lucky you will get them on Friday, otherwise Monday and pray the weather holds up.
Posted By: LRA Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/18/09 12:22 PM
keep us posted with accurate shipping details so we can intercept the shipment! :-)

lol
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/18/09 03:37 PM
LOL !!!!
I think it ships ground in Canada so im not expecting it till Fri \:\) or Mon \:\( .
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/18/09 04:18 PM
Yup, they go ground.
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/20/09 06:35 PM
No shipping updates in three days now. Anybody know if they deliver on Saturdays?
Posted By: Murph Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/20/09 07:16 PM
I don't know of any courier who does, at least not without special pricing.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/20/09 07:39 PM
Purolator, will deliver on Saturday but it has to be shipped for "Saturday delivery" and as Murph said it costs more. If the tracking hasn't been updated then they are still on their way to you, unless they were missed during the off load scans.
Posted By: ghost271 Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/20/09 09:45 PM
Well on the plus side i guess it gives me time to hang my rears and move some things around in preperation for their arrival.
Posted By: doormat Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/21/09 01:53 AM
I got my M80s on a Saturday from Purolator. Had to pick em up at the "warehouse", though (warehouse being the underused bays of a car detailing place).
Posted By: davekro Re: Need Experienced Owners Opinion - 03/22/09 09:05 PM
Doormat,
Your my kinda guy! Calling the delivery co. to find out where your shipment is, find out it is at the local depot awaiting Monday delivery and driving on down to get your stuff on Saturday. A most Excellent reminder to us all. The only time I have ever done that when there was a part I could not wait for for my business. I never thought to call to make a week end pickup just when my 'itis' got out of control! Works way better than any topical cream. \:D
© Axiom Message Boards