Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 04:51 PM
24k gold-plated fuses.

http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowProduct.asp?hProduct=37

That's right, not only are the contacts plated in 24k Gold, but they are slow-blow for the best sound, and they're directional, too. (Check out the arrows on the glass.)
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 05:20 PM
\:\)

"* all fuses are slow blow version for best quality sound"

That is just the most amazing statement. So what, like the best quality sound while the fuse is blowing????

Too bad they don't make an automotive version. I'd replace all of my OEM fuses with these, I bet I'd get at least a 20-30 mpg improvement. ;\)
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 05:26 PM
Wow, if this catches on, there might be also a market for my patent-pending gold plated volume knobs after all
Posted By: hietpas Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 08:12 PM
At least gold plated knobs would service an aesthetic purpose. I mean...some people gotta have that bling!
Posted By: hietpas Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 08:17 PM
Wow. If you follow the link to here:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10210164-47.html?tag=mncol;title

Steve Gutenburg from the Audiphilliac on cnet "reviewed" them and said "To cut to the chase, yes, the fuses did make a difference. The sound was fuller, weightier, and the stereo imaging was more 3D with the fuses in the speakers. Was it a jaw-dropping improvement? No, but it was there."

I cannot imaaagine what kind of setup you would need in order to produce these types of results. haha
Posted By: bridgman Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 08:20 PM
I guess the added inductance from the slow-blow fuses could conceivably alter the sound a bit, but I wouldn't expect it to be "weightier".

Oh well, golden fuses for golden ears I guess.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 08:23 PM
"Steve Gutenburg" -- is that the guy from Cocoon? :-)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 08:41 PM
I think the setup would include a ...tobacco water pipe.
Posted By: alan Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 10:53 PM
No, but the same name. I've known Steve Guttenberg, the audio reviewer (he spells it with two "t"s) for years. He actually believes this stuff and won't do double-blind comparisons. I think reviewers like Steve prefer to believe they have certain other-worldly powers to discern differences that no one else can hear (differences that can't be heard or proven using rigorous double-blind comparisons). If I'm being more cynical, if they did do careful A/B/X comparisons, in most cases, they'd have nothing to write about!

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/13/09 11:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko

That's right, not only are the contacts plated in 24k Gold, but they are slow-blow for the best sound, and they're directional, too. (Check out the arrows on the glass.)

Directional in that they point to the idiot that buys them?
Posted By: RickF Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/14/09 12:14 AM
Yea, and if you look real close you can actually read the "I'M WITH STUPID" text printed under the arrow.
Posted By: fredk Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/14/09 12:58 AM
 Quote:
..."I'M WITH STUPID"...

I think thats an upgrade. Another grand or so...
Posted By: davekro Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/15/09 06:28 AM
Man, I'm gonna go search for a 24k solid gold volume dial. Hell, at least then you can 'SEE' the bling. Like a rapper's gold front tooth. Nothing says high end audio like bling! \:D
Posted By: davekro Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/15/09 06:29 AM
 Originally Posted By: JaimeG
Wow, if this catches on, there might be also a market for my patent-pending gold plated volume knobs after all

Hah, I just read your vol. knob post. similar minds,,,, scary. ;\)
Posted By: davekro Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/15/09 06:32 AM
I used to respect Cnet reviews. What is this crap review.

Have I been less than astute by thinking CNET was a reliable source of reviews?
Posted By: alan Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/15/09 02:01 PM
Hi Davekro,

It depends on the type of product. I think Cnet is fine for video displays, camera, computer, laptop, GPS, DVD player, AV receivers and similar products.

Because their style of loudspeaker reviewing is anecdotal, with no controlled blind listening, immediate comarisons or careful measurements, I wouldn't rely on them for nuanced judgments of loudspeaker sound quality.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/15/09 02:04 PM
I disagree. CNET reviews are almost always pretty biased. They rely heavily on advertising, and there's some editorial bias as well, particularly against Apple products. (Yes, I may be biased the other way. maybe).
Posted By: davekro Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/15/09 04:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I disagree. CNET reviews are almost always pretty biased. They rely heavily on advertising, and there's some editorial bias as well, particularly against Apple products. (Yes, I may be biased the other way. maybe).

Ken,
You are not 'biased' towards Apple. You are simply a believer in speaking truth to power in this all to politically correct (PC ;o) world. OS X, Yea, baby!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/15/09 04:11 PM
Eh... while I might have typed that on my MBP, I spend most of my day on a PC. And I rather like Vista. Not as much as OS X, but Vista's pretty good, and Server08 is excellent. For the most part.
Posted By: davekro Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/15/09 04:36 PM
Well, then OK. I still like your speakers! ;\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/22/09 07:35 PM
Might as well continue the thread. I just saw that Denon makes a ridiculously expensive ethernet cable.

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3429.asp?x=0
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/22/09 07:40 PM
The amazon reviews on that thing are great.
Posted By: fredk Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/22/09 08:44 PM
Not impressed. Its not with extra more and its DEFINATELY not made by a deaf monk.
Posted By: Ascension Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/23/09 01:21 PM
But it's made with high purity copper and high performance connection parts that will bring out the nuances in digital audio! \:D
Posted By: Zimm Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/23/09 04:00 PM
It does take a special relationship with the wire to get the nuances of the 1 v 0 pattern.
Posted By: 80'sMan Re: Yet another ridiculous upgrade - 04/23/09 10:09 PM
If the gold fuses make such a big difference, then I'm swapping out my entire home's electrical with gold contacts!!! Everything from the main panel to the outlets! ;\)
I wonder if I can convince the electric company to switch their meter to gold contacts as well? \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards