Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 1pha HELP! - immediate? - 04/26/03 02:30 PM
I just got a phone call from a friend who works for Sears here in Canada, they've got a discontinued SONY: STR-DE885 for what he 'says' is a very good price ($400 Cdn).
Anyone have any experience with these? I've got to let him know in the next two hours, but I don't want to get burned.

I really wanted a H/K AVR325 but they're pricey, and I'd rather put my money into some Axiom's. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: OGS20 Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/26/03 03:58 PM
Reading some reviews here:
Audioreview

Looks like:
1. CAD 400 + taxes is just a "good" price, not that spectacular for a discontinued model.
2. 100x5 really is 50x5, but you would normally expect that with a consumer grade A/V receiver anyways
3. Lots of inputs and outputs and electronic gadgets

I don't know, I see Futureshop has these inexpensive Panasonic or Sony receivers for less than 300, I don't know how they compare, but this one doesn't really look like the deal like your friend made it out to be.

Good luck.
Posted By: Marc_in_Ottawa Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/26/03 06:04 PM
Our shop in Ottawa has the Yamaha RXV430 on sale today at $350.00CAN.
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the Sony but has a higher current amplifier which will sound better and have alot more dynamic headroom than the Sony.
http://www.audioshop.on.ca/specials.htm
Posted By: 1pha Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/26/03 06:30 PM
Hey Marc & OGS20, thanks for the replies!

I just got back from looking at that Sony 885 (2hrs driving return!), and it's not bad, but not what I'm looking for. Your right Marc, it's not such a hot deal. Your Yamaha looks much better.
While at Sears I compared the Sony to a JVC RX-8020VBK they also had on special (same price), and the JVC was MUCH better.
Now, do I go for the JVC 8020 ($400)?, or hold out for the Har/Kar AVR-325 ($750-$1,100)? Driving to Ottawa is out of the question.
Posted By: cdrakejr Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/26/03 08:48 PM
If you are open to buying refurbished gear, then the Marantz SR4200 can be found in your price range; the newer SR4300 is a little more. Most reviews rate Marantz receivers very favorably, far ahead of JVC.
Not having lots of "disposable" income, over the past three years I have bought the Denon AVR-3801, Denon AVR-3802, Denon DVM-3700, and Denon DRW-585 all as refurbished gear (can you tell that I favor Denon?). My experience has been very positive with no problems whatsoever with any of the gear.

Here are a few links that may be of help:
http://accessories4less.com
http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/marantz_sr4200.htm
http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest_print.asp?GroupID=2363&ArticleID=2360
Posted By: fhw Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/26/03 11:49 PM
1pha,

Audioshop does do mail order. But that aside, where do you live? There are quite a few Canadians on these boards that might be able to help you find better deals. I live in Halifax, but I'm from Toronto (moved 2 years ago), and know Hamilton, Mississauga, Thunder Bay, and Saint John NB pretty well.
Posted By: 1pha Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/27/03 01:05 AM
I'm in Napanee, between Belleville & Kingston, (and no, I don't know Avril Levigne - thankfully!).
Sorry for all these postings, but I'm in "information overload" now and getting totally confused, but I simply can't afford to get burned.
I wish buying a receiver were as simple as it was picking speakers (Axiom)!
I had seriously considered the Denon line but thought they were a little pricey (as if H/K isn't), and I haven't done any research at all on Marantz.
Any help on a deal (fairly close to me?) would be more than greatly appreciated.

Thanks everybody, you guys are great!
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/27/03 01:54 AM
I think you ought to take Marc's offer and buy that Yamaha for 350$ CAD. You're not likely to get a better offer anywhere else. The power out of a Yamaha is far better than the power out of a low end sony.
Posted By: Semi_On Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/27/03 04:33 AM
I haven't owned a single piece of Sony gear other than their TV's that I was happy with. Either their proprietary lameness screws up functionality or the machine dies. Buyer beware.
Posted By: polara Re: HELP! - immediate? - 04/27/03 11:19 AM
i sold my jvc 8010 a few months ago-paid 200$ usd new off u-bid.
very good sounding amps, decent tuner -but it had a clipping problem at high levels so i sold it, my friend bought one also when i did he had the same problems till one day his caught fire, since it was fixed it doesnt clipp any more-kinda wierd.
now i have a yamaha
© Axiom Message Boards