Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Stormin New System - 05/07/09 12:56 AM
Hi Guys, I've been lurking for some time and have now decided to make my purchase. We've just moved into a new home and I hope to build a dedicated HT in the basement when funds allow but for now I'm retrofitting a dining room into a temporary home theatre. Just ordered M80's, VP 150, QS8's, and an EP600 all from the outlet to save cost. Ordered stands as well so there's no retrofit. I purchased the Denon 3808 as it seems to be well received and pairs well with axioms according to these forums. Panasonic AE 3000 order going in tonight and still looking for a good reasonably priced screen. I have a few questions that I hope you may answer. Regarding speaker wire I wonder if others have used the axiom flat speaker cable and their thoughts? Also banana plugs vs. no plugs? If money allows is there a big difference between the EP600 vs. EP800 ie. will I be "missing" much for settling on the EP600 or should I just bite the bullet and get the 800? This will be my first move into a reasonable HT system having used a sony HT-in-a-box system up to this point. Comments, criticism, suggestions all appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: New System - 05/07/09 01:29 AM
Welcome to the forum Stormin,

Congratulations on your purchase. Going from a sony HTIB to your current Axiom system is quite a big upgrade. I think you will be blown away with this system. The Denon 3808 is also a very popular receiver around here.

For speaker wire and banana plugs I would look at online stores such as http://www.bluejeanscable.com and http://www.monoprice.com. I prefer the locking banana plugs from blue jeans cable over the standard monoprice banana plugs and indifferent between the speaker wire. I like using locking banana plugs because it is much easier to hook up the speaker wire to the conjested area on the back of my receiver. The locking portion also makes the connection very secure. I use this connection method for all my speakers expect for my wall mounted QS4 (t-bracket) which I just use a bare wire termination to the speakers binding posts.

Cheers!
Posted By: CV Re: New System - 05/07/09 04:07 AM
 Originally Posted By: Stormin
If money allows is there a big difference between the EP600 vs. EP800 ie. will I be "missing" much for settling on the EP600 or should I just bite the bullet and get the 800?

First off, that's a great system you're putting together. Way to go. I can't wait to get a projector.

As for EP600 vs. EP800, I didn't do any direct comparisons, but I owned an EP600 before getting my EP800s. The 600 was my first quality subwoofer. The other ones I've had have been nowhere near the same league, so the 600 was a major jump. There was a lot of stuff I was feeling that I just wasn't feeling before, and it made me smile every time. Still, I knew I wanted to get dual subwoofers at some point, and for a while I was even contemplating getting four of the HSU ULS-15s. Then Axiom announced the EP800. I liked what I read about it, as it seemed pretty close to my ideal: great output, low extension, sealed design, and almost comically linear output across its frequency range. For a while I did just have one of the EP800s hooked up. Even though it wasn't a direct comparison to the EP600, I'm fairly confident saying I could tell the difference. There was just that much more impact and texture on material I was familiar with. If the money isn't going to be an issue, I would certainly recommend the EP800.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: New System - 05/11/09 02:02 PM
Did you end up switching to the EP800?
Posted By: Stormin Re: New System - 05/12/09 01:58 AM
No... I got the 600 through the outlet and buying the 800 would mean no 10% discount and thus an extra $900. Since this is my first nice sub I'm not sure the gains in going deeper and louder will be noticeable to me. So many people seem very content with their 500's and 600's that I figured I'd just give this a go first. I'd be interested in others opinions.. is the difference between the 600 and 800 worth another $900?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New System - 05/12/09 02:15 AM
Stormin the 600 is a monster, and keep in mind has been the king of the hill for many years, the 800 is the new kid on the block and needs to prove itself.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New System - 05/12/09 04:53 PM
Only 'cause you don't have one... :-P
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New System - 05/12/09 05:14 PM
True, if Axiom would have told me it was in development when I got the 600, I probably would have waited. \:\)
Posted By: Stormin Re: New System - 05/15/09 12:43 AM
Well thanks to Micah's post I called in and had my order changed to EP800 from the factory outlet. Amazing how saving 10% makes it easier to swallow the additional $500 in cost.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: New System - 05/15/09 02:08 AM
Well thanks to Micah's post I called in and had my order changed to EP800 from the factory outlet.

Posted By: Potatohead Re: New System - 05/15/09 02:47 AM
That 800 is a freakin monster
Posted By: Skin Re: New System - 05/15/09 04:05 AM
Hello guys!!! I received my order of M80s, VP150, QS8s and EP800 sub a week ago. I would like to put everyone's mind to rest regarding the EP800 as a comparison to other Axiom subs. It is a literal beast!!! It has the deepest, smoothest, clearest and clean sounding bass I have ever heard. And I have heard plenty. The sound is unbelievable. In my opinion, the EP800 is ahead of its time.

If your budget can handle the extra cost or if you can delay your purchase and save the extra cash to get the EP800, you will thank yourself a million times over. This sub will add sound to your audio system that will leave you, your family and friends with their mouths wide open.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: New System - 05/15/09 12:07 PM
Welcome Skin!

That is an awesome setup, congrats! If you are interested in taking any photos there is a gallery section at the bottom of the forum and will be showed in the Wall`O`Fame.

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: New System - 05/15/09 02:56 PM
Wow! That's quite a system; sound AND that projector!
Posted By: Stormin Re: New System - 05/15/09 10:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Wow! That's quite a system; sound AND that projector!
Thanks. Any input on where to buy screens in Canada? I live in Grand Bend (near London).
Posted By: fredk Re: New System - 05/16/09 01:25 AM
Thats going to be one heck of a system. Hmm... Grand Bend is only 1.5 hours from me. EP800... Hmm...
Posted By: Stormin Re: New System - 05/16/09 02:42 AM
When everything arrives perhaps you'll have to make a visit to our beautiful beach town. A summer evening in Grand Bend, you could do alot worse. In fact, if there's anyone who gets their kicks and is a master at setting up home theatre, are versed in the denon 3808/audyssey setup and in programming the logitech 890 pro and want to spend a nice day in our home 2 minutes to a private beach, I'm willing to trade a day in said home and a dinner from our best local restaurant for their services. In fact, if there's enough interest maybe a little summer axiomite gathering for socializing and fun with a little HT setup on the side...
Posted By: Micah Re: New System - 05/16/09 08:08 AM
Well thanks to Micah's post I called in and had my order changed to EP800 from the factory outlet. Amazing how saving 10% makes it easier to swallow the additional $500 in cost.

Well Stormin I'm glad I could be of service. I was in the same boat as you actually, I was really close to ordering the EP600 from the Factory Outlet when I didn't see the EP800 listed anywhere in there. I figured that being brand new and all they probably only made the 800 when someone special ordered it, and thus there probably weren't any 'odd' EP800's to discount through the Outlet. But then JC came to my (our) rescue in my other thread and told me to call him direct to order the 800 through the Outlet. THANK GOD!!!

Although I'm quite sure the both of us would have been more than happy with our EP600's, I know I would have always had that little tick in the back of me head everytime I watched a movie, or listened to my favorite CD that the sound could have been 'that much better' with the EP800! Well now we won't have to worry about any of that. You're right, that 10% (+ the additional 5% for the HT purchase) truely does make all the difference. It makes it a no-brainer to go with the 800, where as if we couldn't get the discount the 600 starts looking a whole lot more attractive!

It seems we aren't in such a minority anymore though. EP800 owners are popping up left and right anymore! I guess if we truely want to separate ourselves from the norm, we're going to have to purchase a SECOND EP800. Only two in that club so far (right?). Well.... I may have to wait another year or three before I can justify caughing up another $2000 dollars for another bass speaker. There are plenty of other things on my list for now.

In the mean time, me and my 'single' EP800 will get aquainted with each other!
Posted By: CV Re: New System - 05/16/09 09:15 AM
I really wish I could have swung four EP800s. Ha ha.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New System - 05/16/09 06:04 PM
Damn. You'd be really, really strong.
© Axiom Message Boards