Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Potatohead Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 05:06 AM
Well guys, after your help last week with selecting which speakers to use, I now can't figure out what colour/finish I want. I realize things like this are completely subjective, but it's nice to get opinions. I really want to get a medium to darkish wood of some kind, but I don't know that it's going to flow with the room colours, seen below. The screen wall and ceiling will be the top (black) colour, and I am undecided on the rest of the room, but it will be one of the other two. The conservative side of me says go with black, but I'd like to match the baseboards/mouldings with the speakers and those being black might look weird. I'm considering the Mansfield Beech or Boston Cherry standard finish, or the Vermont Maple or Cinnamon Beach vinyl finish.

Ideas?

Posted By: Jc Re: Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 02:04 PM
Hi,

Have you considered a paintable version which is the same price as a custom vinyl finish ? You could match excatly what you want over and over again. Even the speaker grille can be spray painted with a light coat of latex paint. Order the eggshell white grille if you want to paint the grille.
Posted By: fredk Re: Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 03:43 PM
I would go with a darker richer colour like Boston Cherry. I think a light colour would contrast a little too much.
Posted By: davekro Re: Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 06:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Jc
Hi,

Have you considered a paintable version which is the same price as a custom vinyl finish ? You could match excatly what you want over and over again. Even the speaker grille can be spray painted with a light coat of latex paint. Order the eggshell white grille if you want to paint the grille.

JC
You can paint over speaker cloth? If so, why eggshell as starting color? I have some black (speaker cloth) grills I would like to make white. I'd think paint on the cloth would make them less audibly transparent. Am I wrong?

I was thinking of buying white speaker cloth to use on these speakers.
Posted By: fredk Re: Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 06:20 PM
I think it would take more than a light coat of latex to change black to white.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 07:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
I would go with a darker richer colour like Boston Cherry. I think a light colour would contrast a little too much.

I really like the BC, but I don't know if it will flow with the blue because it looks to have a hint of red in it. If I do mouldings and baseboards in a match, it may be too much red.

Arggh, decisions :-p
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 07:15 PM
Take the easy way out and go with the standard black, it goes with anything and for an HT room will not offer any reflections.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 08:56 PM
Why not go with the black, and ask Axiom if they can make a grill cover to match your decor? Depends if you want to "match" colours, or "contrast" colours.
Posted By: fredk Re: Need help with speaker colour - 05/21/09 11:09 PM
 Quote:
I really like the BC, but I don't know if it will flow with the blue

From what I see of your samples there is no noticable blue. That might just be how my display is adjusted though.

In general, unless it is primary colours, you won't have an issue with a redish brown in a room. It will be a nice colour accent when you have the lights on. I think HG cherry would look stunning in your room.
© Axiom Message Boards