Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dapman Buying a Panasonic 54v10 - 07/31/09 02:36 AM
Hi

Im finaly making the plunge to HDTV I have a deal in place with Best Buy to purchase a Panisonic 54v10 plazma They talked me into getting the 4year warrantee for $329 Im not a big on paying for extended warrantee but I feel I should protect my investment. Is it worth the extra cash They also sold me on the calibration for $299 ( does this make a difference in the TV performance)

Thanks

Larry
Posted By: Micah Re: Buying a Panasonic 54v10 - 07/31/09 03:09 AM
What exactly does the calibration do?
Posted By: Hansang Re: Buying a Panasonic 54v10 - 07/31/09 03:19 AM
I imagine it's an ISF calibration. Before you spend the $300, check out http://www.tweaktv.com.

If you like it, maybe you can think about spending the extra dime.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Buying a Panasonic 54v10 - 07/31/09 03:36 AM
Larry, the stats show that both LCD and Plasma TVs(especially a brand as good as Panasonic)have been very reliable and that the purchase of an extended warranty is usually a losing proposition(except to the store, of course, where it's far more profitable than the TV itself). If you can cancel, do so.
Posted By: thefwam Re: Buying a Panasonic 54v10 - 07/31/09 06:21 AM
Best buy generally doesn't do ISF calibrations from my experience. I honestly wouldn't trust them to tell the truth. Before I paid them to do the calibration I would look locally to try to find a real deal ISF calibrator, as that's usually what they charge for a full calibration. Make sure to put at least 100 hours on your set before you do that though, as the TV changes the most during those beginning hours.
Posted By: Murph Re: Buying a Panasonic 54v10 - 07/31/09 12:19 PM
After performing the adjustments via the Avia HT DVD with the color lenses to look through, I did notice a very noticeable adjustment in picture quality.

Color can be a bit subjective. However, one concrete thing it did for me is get rid of the fuzzies in large, light colored areas such as a sky scene. Until I did the calibration a couple of times and got it right, my sky scenes and such looked like fuzzy SD even in the best, most detailed HD content.
© Axiom Message Boards