Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Joebob FNG - 08/13/09 06:24 PM
Hi. I'm new. My name is Joe and I am an axiomoholic. \:D

Fed ex brought my M80's, VP 150 and and 2 QS 8's yesterday about 5 o'clock and I quickly whipped 'em into place. I can't get over how good these speakers sound. I've been either playing music or movies non stop since (except for sleeping). I figured out real quick that they aren't going back.

After making an idiot out of my self on the shout box last night, merchman said I should start a thread; so I have.
Posted By: CV Re: FNG - 08/13/09 06:30 PM
Welcome. Congratulations on the purchase. Let us know what material you find the most impressive as you listen.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: FNG - 08/13/09 06:36 PM
Welcome aboard!
The fun is just beginning!
Posted By: Adrian Re: FNG - 08/13/09 06:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: jollo
Hi. I'm new. My name is Joe and I am an axiomoholic. \:D
\:D You have just taken your first step.

Congrats on the new system, Joe! enjoy.
Posted By: Murph Re: FNG - 08/13/09 06:46 PM
Congratulations and welcome.
Sounds like you need to cut back on the sleeping. it's interfering with enjoying your new system.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: FNG - 08/13/09 09:22 PM
That is awesome Joe, welcome aboard! \:\) If anyone tries to steer you to the skiing ninja website, ignore any BS articles on the m80's. \:\) long story...
Posted By: merchman Re: FNG - 08/13/09 09:30 PM
Congrats Joe. I saw your pics in the gallery. Looks fantastic. Welcome to the M80 club. I know you are in for many, many hours of sonic bliss. Enjoy and post more as you "break in" to your new speakers. ;\)
Posted By: Joebob Re: FNG - 08/14/09 01:22 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I wish I had known about these speakers a few years ago. I've been lurking for a bit, so I've read the tobogganing kung fu panda thread. I don't need no steenkin' after market crossover. Glue... blah, blah, blah; bracing ... blah, blah, blah. The M80's sure do sound good for having all these problems

I've been listening all day. One thing I didn't expect from these speakers is the fast hard slam you get from drums. They just punch you in the chest; me likee. I listened to the DVD-A of Steeley Dan's Goucho today and was just blown away.

I just finished watching the Return to Forever Live at Montreux Blu-ray and except for the weird surround mix, it was like being at the concert.

What I find weird is Auddssey really screws up the sound of these speakers. I ran Auddssey a couple of times today and everything sounds better with it off. It does do a good job on setting up the distances and levels though. It kind of speaks to how flat a response the m80's have that eq-ing them makes them sound worse.
Posted By: Micah Re: FNG - 08/14/09 02:40 AM
Well the biggest problem is that 3 of the 5 speakers you bought are completely unsalvagable. But never fear, Bbigwires shall come to all of our rescue...

...I see you've already seen that thread and are still enjoying your system dispite finding out how bad they sound. It's weird how good these horrible sounding speakers can play eh! ;\)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: FNG - 08/14/09 02:52 AM
Welcome to the forum jollo.

Congrats! It sounds like you have been having a lot of fun with your new system. ENJOY!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: FNG - 08/14/09 03:18 AM
If Audyssey is run correctly following the steps in the Official Audyssey post over at AVSforum, I think you will have a different opinion. It is night and day difference with Audyssey and Dynamic EQ on or off, and the graphs don't lie either.
Posted By: JohnK Re: FNG - 08/14/09 03:56 AM
Joe, welcome and enjoy(of course it's clear that you already are!). As to the room equalization part of Audyssey, keep in mind that all speakers, even the best ones, are affected by room problems. As Randy pointed out, although this is nominally an "automatic" process, for best results you have to follow correct procedures. It's unlikely that you've had time the first day to work with this in detail, but later on when you do have the time to experiment you may find a significant benefit.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: FNG - 08/14/09 04:45 AM
Or you could just leave it off and be happy without it! Some people (certainly not including SirQ or JohnK!) just don't like it.
Posted By: grunt Re: FNG - 08/14/09 07:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Or you could just leave it off and be happy without it! Some people (certainly not including SirQ or JohnK!) just don't like it.

Agreed. By all means try the checklist on AVS but don’t kill yourself trying to make it work better. I’ve run it more times than I can count in 3 different rooms and in all cases found my system sounded better with it off. No A/B comparison needed either, it flat out makes my speakers sound like crap.

For something that sounds like you're at the concert I like “Roger Waters The Wall Live in Berlin.” If you like Jethro Tull their Live at Montreux 2003 has both great sound and picture quality and I’ve only seen the standard def DVD.

BTW welcome to the forum Joe. Don’t be a drive-by poster stick around and have a beer.

Cheers,
Dean
Posted By: fredk Re: FNG - 08/14/09 09:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: jollo
I've been lurking for a bit, so I've read the tobogganing kung fu panda thread.

I like this guy already! You're gonna fit right in to this nuthou... um, forum.

Nice avatar by the way.
Posted By: Murph Re: FNG - 08/14/09 11:34 AM
I fall in the camp where Audessey always make my particular system sound 'flat', no matter how many times I run it and how careful I am. I'm not ruling out that something isn't wrong in my usage or maybe even the mike, as it often takes several attempts to recognize all speakers, but I'm so Extremely happy with it off, I just don't feel the need to keep trying.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: FNG - 08/14/09 12:27 PM
Welcome and congrats on the purchase!
Posted By: Micah Re: FNG - 08/14/09 02:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
...but I'm so Extremely happy with it off, I just don't feel the need to keep trying.

And isn't that what matters anyway? Audysey is a 'room correction' program yes? So logically if you have everything set up correctly and your room is fairly good dynamically speaking, then Audysey should be of little to no value right?

SRoode played his system with it turned on and turned off and it was noticably more pleasing to listen to turned off. But of course there are few rooms out there as well set up as Steve's room, just using his for this example. Anyhow if JohnK and others set theirs up and are delighted with the way it performs then that's great. If you set yours up and feel it's at all inferior to the normal settings, then by all means turn it off and enjoy your entertainment 'all natural'.

I'm planning on moving up to a reciever with HDMI capabilities. If it has Audyssey I will certainly set it up to the best of my abilities and try it out. But I won't treat it as something that's supposedly 'superior' to the normal set-up, I will just pick which ever one I prefer and roll with it. Heck I never did like Pro-Logic when Pro-Logic was supposedly the greatest thing since vinyl. I always thought it made the dialog sound like it was being played out of a tin can. Could have been my 'less than stellar' speakers. But either way I tried it on several occasions and just plain hated it.

But who knows, Audyssey may just knock my socks off in this room of mine. I do intend on giving it a chance.
Posted By: Joebob Re: FNG - 08/14/09 05:46 PM
Ooops... I didn't mean to start anything with the Auddssey comment. I've read most of the Auddssey thread on AVS and I know how to run it. I even have one of those elastic shock mounts for the calibration mic and I use a boom stand.

I've played guitar and bass in rock bands for 30 years and I have a pretty good idea of what music in a room sounds like and for me, Auddssey aint it. I can hear what it is trying to do and I get the concept. I just think that because my room is so weird (20 foot ceilings, totally asymmetrical layout and an open floor plan to the rest of the house) that Auddssey in my older Denon doesn't have enough processing power to do the job correctly.

Anyway... it's all about personal preference, isn't it? Whatever sounds good to you in your room is what is right. \:\) I know that in my room the bass is a little bloated and the mids are probably too muddy but Auddssey just sucks the life out of these great speakers (for me).
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: FNG - 08/14/09 06:44 PM
You nailed it Jollo. If it ain't broke way fix it. By the way I enjoy reading your posts. Hopefully you decide to stick around these parts.
Posted By: Joebob Re: FNG - 08/14/09 09:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
For something that sounds like you're at the concert I like “Roger Waters The Wall Live in Berlin.” If you like Jethro Tull their Live at Montreux 2003 has both great sound and picture quality and I’ve only seen the standard def DVD.

Cheers,
Dean

I forgot to say thanks Dean. I have the Jethro Tull because I'm a fan but I haven't seen the Roger Waters, so I'll check it out. I don't know how I missed that one because I have Pulse and a couple David Gilmour concerts.

And thanks Dr. House, I plan to hang out here some more.
Posted By: Murph Re: FNG - 08/17/09 03:22 PM
And no worries about "starting anything". This is the best board I have ever seen for the regulars keeping differences of opinion at professional levels with some friendly jibing thrown in for fun.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: FNG - 08/17/09 04:01 PM
You suck, Murph.
Posted By: Murph Re: FNG - 08/17/09 05:34 PM
Well, except for the guy who looks like Commander Riker from Startrek. You can never trust those Trekie Dress Up Guys.
Posted By: RickF Re: FNG - 08/18/09 01:23 AM
Nice pics in your gallery Joe, I really like your setup ... welcome aboard!
Posted By: Joebob Re: FNG - 08/18/09 02:20 AM
Thanks Rick. I really admire the setup you have for your HT. I see you are a big SRV fan. I got to see him in a small theater in Jacksonville with the Thunderbirds as the opening band. For the encore Jimmy and Stevie played together. Good times... \:\)
Posted By: mullhead Re: FNG - 08/18/09 04:17 PM
congrats on the new system!

and very nice choices of music to test it out! I'm still kicking myself for not getting to see RTF when they came to Chicago last year. did you hear what Steely Dan is doing for their tour? at least in Chicago, they're performing Royal Scam, Aja, and Gaucho, on 3 consecutive nights and a 4th night of audience online requests

enjoy your new stuff!
© Axiom Message Boards