Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dapman Blue Ray Players - 08/20/09 02:51 AM
Hi

I am looking for blue ray player for under $300 what would you recomend.

I will be getting my panasonic 54v10 next week and
I have decided to go with the denon 3310 I hope it will work well with my m80's I couldnot find an authorized dealer with 3808 available

Thanks
Larry
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/20/09 02:59 AM
Panasonic! Any of their models.
Posted By: dewd Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/20/09 04:05 AM
Check out the LG models (I think its the 370). It includes the ability to stream NetFlix and others. It is also one of the fastest on the market today. This WILL be my next purchase.

BTW - I currently own a Panasonic BD30 and I'm extremely happy with it.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/21/09 09:30 PM
The BD players from Sony and Samsung should fit well within your needs as well.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/21/09 11:08 PM
Panasonic!
Posted By: Argon Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 04:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: dewd
Check out the LG models (I think its the 370). It includes the ability to stream NetFlix and others. It is also one of the fastest on the market today. This WILL be my next purchase.

By fastest - do you mean the load time? I have been teetering on the purchase decision. Have any manufacturers solved the issue if you stop during the movie being able to go back to where you were?
Posted By: Joebob Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 04:51 PM
As long as the player has the resume feature, I think replaying from the stopped point is up to the way the Blu-ray disc is authored. The BD-Java on the disc can prevent it. I have the Oppo BDP-83 and some Blu-rays will resume from where you stopped them and some won't.
Posted By: Murph Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 04:52 PM
Anyone else comment on if this works on a PS3? I've never been able to get it to work after an accidental stoppage.
Posted By: Joebob Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 04:59 PM
Hey Murph:

Here are some links to the PS3 discussions on the AVS forum and the consensus seems to be yes for the PS3, if the disc allows it. The only way to resume a disc with the Java based menus is to make a bookmark if that feature is enabled.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Posted By: Murph Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 05:19 PM
Thanks Jollo!
I'll continue to experiment.

Really what I need to do is break down and invest in an IR device to let my remote work so I stop pressing the wrong buttons on the PS3 controller to pause instead of stop.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 05:23 PM
I love the Lost "Season Play" feature, it auto bookmarks on stop using Java. I wish more discs did that.
Posted By: Joebob Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 05:49 PM
Murph, do you know about the Nyko remote? It's cheap and allows you to use your learning remote if you have one, with the PS3. Use the USB IR receiver part and put away the remote that it comes with. I couldn't find it on Amazon Canada though.
Posted By: Murph Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 06:14 PM
I was aware, but I hadn't noticed that the price was so cheap before. If it's available in Canada for an equivalent price, it would be cheaper than other USB IR solutions I have looked at to work with my URC 300 remote.

If I remember correctly, it doesn't do On/Off controls but I can live with that. If I'm going to watch a movie, I generally have to walk up and load the DVD or BR anyways. I can hit the power button then.

Thanks

[EDIT]
Found it for 18.96 at good ol' TigerDirect.ca.
Ordered!

For $20, I won't feel guilty about using the USB receiver and tossing yet another remote onto the pile inside my coffee table.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Blue Ray Players - 08/26/09 06:21 PM
I have one (don't recall where I bought it, but I had to pay hefty delivery and customs). No on/off, but it works well with my 980.
Posted By: Murph Re: Blue Ray Players - 09/04/09 04:52 PM
Update:
The Nyko Remote arrived Tuesday. Was tried out Wednesday. Used to program my URC remote then discarded into my coffee table Thursday.

It does what it says it will do. It provides access to all of the PS3 controller buttons used for movie playback and more in a much more user friendly remote control.

When used on it's own, I found that you had to be a sharp shooter for the IR to hit the USB sensor. A fairly weak signal for sure.
However,
since using it to teach the codes to my URC Universal Remote coupled with an IR blaster I couldn't be happier. The blaster relays a 'too strong to ignore' signal to the little USB sensor every time and I now happily have returned to having only one remote control to deal with again.

For $20 I don't feel at all guilty about only using half the product delivered to get the convenience it provides.

Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Blue Ray Players - 10/29/09 03:13 PM
Can anyone recommend a good BR player with analog connections that can be had for a decent price? At this point should I spend a little more and purchase a BR player which supports netflix downloads?
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Blue Ray Players - 10/29/09 03:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: Nachosgrande
Can anyone recommend a good BR player with analog connections that can be had for a decent price? At this point should I spend a little more and purchase a BR player which supports netflix downloads?

The panasonic BD80 is a high quality Blu-ray with 7.1 analog connections. However, it does not support netflix. I have no experience with netflix so I can't offer any opinion.
Posted By: mazzum Re: Blue Ray Players - 10/31/09 07:15 PM
Bought the Samsung bd p1600 last week for $179 plus 2 free BR movies (best Buy on line/store pick up) and could not be happier. Read a lot of reviews that complained about it having issues, but I wanted to stream netflix so I figured I would give it a try. It has worked perfectly and firmware upgraded easily when I connected it to my dsl router. Netflix and Pandora are fantastic, easy to use features and work perfectly as well. BR movies look great, load fairly quickly and resume where left off (on the discs I have played).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Blue Ray Players - 10/31/09 08:05 PM
How does it work with DVDs? As well?
Posted By: mazzum Re: Blue Ray Players - 11/01/09 02:05 AM
Upscaling is nice as far as I can tell (a noticeable image improvement with no odd "jaggies"). Really only watched one dvd. Been spending a lot of time using Netflix and BD.
Posted By: BigHonu Re: Blue Ray Players - 11/02/09 06:34 AM
I have a Samsung BDP-3600. Streams Netflix, Pandora, Blockbuster, and Youtube. DVD upconversion is pretty decent IMO. Does NOT play SACD or DVD-A. Only issue is that it is a front loader but the controls are on the top of the player so you can't stack another component directly on top.
© Axiom Message Boards