Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BlueJays1 In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 02:24 AM
This was posted in another thread and thought it deserved its own \:\) . I am interested in your inquiry too.

I don't mean to derail this thread...but I just received my Q4's yesterday. After a thorough exam I'll admit I'm extremely happy with their appearance and overall build quality. I'm planning on doing a side wall mount this weekend and I'll be running my speaker cable in-wall. So my question is this...Can I use basic speaker wire or not? I've got lots of regular 14g wire available but its not in-wall rated.
Thanks for any help on this matter and I didn't want to hi jack someone else's thread.

Regards, Bill...

Posted By: Adrian Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 02:33 AM
There is a coated wire available at the box stores for inwall applications. I'm sure alot of guys are using reg speaker wires inwall but I believe there is a code for such applications, finding the code on the gov't website is similar to reading the Denon Owners Manual(frustrating).
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 02:54 AM
Blue Jeans' "Ten White" and "Twelve White" are NEC rated for in wall use.
Posted By: billy p Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 03:04 AM
If in-wall rated wire meets code, than what exactly is code and by using standard wire would it compromise my installation down the road?

Just wanting to do it right, the first time....

BTW...thanks for moving my original post. I should've known better.

Regards, Bill \:\)
Posted By: JohnK Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 04:12 AM
Bill, there's no question of sound quality involved. It's a fire safety related matter which is covered by national and/or local building codes and may be interpreted in various ways by local inspectors when new construction requiring an inspection is involved. Using regular lamp cord/speaker wire for behind wall runs doesn't create a fire hazard, but if a fire starts otherwise and reaches the wire the ordinary polyvinyl chloride jacket gives off toxic fumes at high temperatures. The wire which meets specifications for behind wall use has an added outer jacket which eliminates/delays the release of fumes during a fire. Have no idea what local requirements, if any, are applicable in your area, but again, there's no audio problem with using regular wire.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 04:12 AM
I believe if you are not "up to code", and there is a fire the insurance company may not have to honor the policy. Also if the building is sold with wire in the walls which is not rated for in-wall use it may fail the inspection.

There are both UL and NEC codes for in-wall use, with the NEC being more strict.

The code has nothing to do with sound quality, it is all about safety.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 04:14 AM
John owes me a Coke.
Posted By: billy p Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 12:34 PM
Wow Thanks ...that certainly helps clear things up for me... . I guess I'll use in-wall rated wire just to be sure.
Now, outside of the usual online retailers, where can I get some cheap in-wall rated wire in a pinch?

Thanks, Bill... \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 12:42 PM
Billy, you should be able to find coated wire at one of the box stores(HD, Rona, Lowes). Check out this link , there's some info of interest here.
Posted By: billy p Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 02:27 PM
Thanks for the link. Heh...I didn't even know about it and its Canadian .

Thanks for all the help guy's!
PS: 5 posts and now I'm a regular...
Posted By: cb919 Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 02:44 PM
Billy,
Another good option is go to a good local audio shop that does installations (you should have lots around TO!). They should be able to sell you a spool of wire for your install. Then just bring the unused portion back and they will refund you for what you did not use. It's way easier just pulling what you need from a spool while installing rather than estimating how long to precut a specific run.

In case it helps I used my local AV Unlimited shop. I see there's one in Newmarket, so not too far from you. Might be worth checking out.
Posted By: michael_d Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 03:45 PM
Don't confuse "in-wall" rated with "plenum or raceway" rated either. They are different.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 03:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
Don't confuse "in-wall" rated with "plenum or raceway" rated either. They are different.

Indeed, and let me stop anyone who is about to say, "plenum cable", that's the wrong phrase, it is "cable rated for installation in a plenum."
Posted By: Potatohead Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 04:15 PM
I just bought 200 feet of in wall 12g from Monoprice for $.28 US per foot, may want to check it out.

edited for price correction
Posted By: billy p Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/27/09 09:07 PM
I didn't know of all the different application involved. AAMOF I did some outdoor speakers this summer and most people agreed that landscape wire was the way to go. I just assumed any indoor application would be cut & dry... :D.
I've ordered from monoprice in the past and it looks like that time again. I'll buy about 100ft and include some wall plates to ensure a neat & tidy finish.

You guy's have really helped... \:\)
Regards, Bill
Posted By: Micah Re: In-wall speaker wire guidelines - 08/28/09 12:30 AM
You're welcome Billy. I think I speak for everyone here when I say that I alone deserve all of the credit.
© Axiom Message Boards