Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sushi 5.1 vs 6.1 vs 7.1 - 05/16/03 04:34 PM
Only after 5-6 weeks of setting up my first 5.1 system, I am already getting VERY curious about 6.1 and 7.1 surrounds. Heh-heh... So, how much of a difference will the 6.1/7.1 make, if I do NOT have any natively 6.1- or 7.1-encoded materials? Does it worth an additional Axiom or two, for just doing matrix decoding?

(FYI, I do not plan to buy an SACD/DVD-A player just yet, until the dust settles a bit more with regard to bass management and other technical details, until I see that they are definitely going to survive as media standards for long-term, and until truly interesting classical music recordings start to appear on them.)
Posted By: JohnK Re: 5.1 vs 6.1 vs 7.1 - 05/16/03 07:27 PM
Sushi, let me throw out a couple ways you can get a "free preview" of some of the surround back effects. First, on your 45TX use the Virtual Back Surround mode on CDs with Neo:6 or even one of the DSP modes to create the virtual back. Second, you could disconnect your VP150 and temporarily use a "phantom" center while connecting the VP150 to the left back surround terminal on the 45TX. If you decide to go with back surround, you really should go with 2 (although there's no 7.1 format as such)to stay away from that psychoacoustic reversal effect with one speaker behind you(although John Ashman might disagree).

As to SACD or DVD-A for classical music, I'm not impressed and I'm not planning to get a player. Classical generally uses ambience in the extra channels rather than putting you in the middle of the orchestra and DPLII already does a fine job with that on stereo CDs. Any supposed benefits strictly from more bits and higher sampling rates are dubious.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: 5.1 vs 6.1 vs 7.1 - 05/16/03 08:12 PM
I"m game for more channels but the effects have to be subtle for me.
Subtle creates that surround effect w/o making it feel overpowering from all sides.
There's nothing like listening to a concert cd and be able to hear the echoes off the side walls and in behind. It really adds to a realistic effect in the way we perceive sound, never just from one direction.
© Axiom Message Boards