Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mazzum Question about rear sorrounds - 10/28/09 10:08 PM
I already own the M3ti's and love them. I would like to add M 50's to my system and use the M3ti's as rear sourrounds in a 5.1 set up. The room size is aproximately 350 sq feet. My question is can the M3ti's be used in this set up? ( I know it is possible) I want some expert opinions on how well it would sound. Thanks for any input.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/28/09 10:32 PM
That is quite a large room, so you should be fine using your M3's as rears as long as they are not too close to your seating position, they are obviously more directional than the Q series. Give them a little room to the seating area so they won't give themselves away.

You might also consider some other options as well as the M50s; you could go with the M22's or if you can spring for a few more $$ go to the M60s(could bring the price down closer to the M50 by going through the Factory outlet).
Posted By: dewd Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/28/09 10:37 PM
Hi mazzum,

I can't comment on the M3's (although I'm sure they will work nicely), I just want to make sure you are aware that with 5.1, there is no such thing as "rear surrounds". Surrounds in a 5.1 system should be on either side (maybe slightly behind) of the listener facing toward each other. They should be a few feet above your ears.

Here's a link to Dolby's speaker setup guide. http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/speaker-setup-guide/index.html
Posted By: mazzum Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/28/09 10:43 PM
Thanks. Actually considering the m60's or 22's as well. Currently using the m3's up front and they do a great job, but with the increased room size (moved) I wanted to step up. Didn't want to get rid of the m3's because I am very happy with them.
Posted By: mazzum Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/28/09 10:45 PM
Thanks dewd, I will be using them about 3 ft behind the listeners and off to the sides of the listening area.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/28/09 10:59 PM
With bookshelf speakers you will have more of a directional sound, so if your in the sweet spot it will be fine. Something like the Q's envelope you in the sound, which is the goal. To answer your question, yes you can use m3's as "side" surrounds, not rears.
Posted By: mazzum Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/29/09 12:39 AM
Thanks quack, Eventually I would like to add the Q's and go 7.1 but not in the budget right now.
Posted By: Murph Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/29/09 11:44 AM
Building in stages is part of the fun.
The man who has everything rarely has happiness.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/29/09 11:47 AM
Then he does not have everything! ;\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/29/09 11:49 AM
Exactly!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/29/09 01:04 PM
I'm willing to test the theory, if anyone would like to send me "everything".
Posted By: Adrian Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/29/09 01:19 PM
I'll start.

Here's my heating bill, Mark. \:D
Posted By: Joebob Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/29/09 01:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I'm willing to test the theory, if anyone would like to send me "everything".

You can't have "everything". Where would you put it?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Question about rear sorrounds - 10/29/09 02:03 PM
Aaaahhh, a fellow Steven Wright fan!

And Adrian, I already have one of those!
© Axiom Message Boards