Axiom Home Page
Posted By: aspicer1 mounting angle of center channel - 10/29/09 04:18 PM
Quite often i see people angle their center speaker up a bit when it is on a floor stand. I assume this is to properly distribute sound to more than one row of seating. What degree angle would be proper?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/29/09 04:26 PM
The ideal location of the tweeters from your left/center/right speaker is "ear" level when seated. This is not always possible in every situation, so people angle the center upwards or downwards a little to "aim" it at the listeners ears as best as possible. There is no magical angle. The VP150 and VP100 have an angle on one side of the cabinet, so when flipped over it may produce desired results. Of course, you have to flip the grill cover over so the Axiom logo is not upside down.
Posted By: aspicer1 Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/29/09 04:31 PM
Thanks, I have the w150 and will need to angle it. I will have to build an angled section in the wall to accomplish this. I guess best way to figure it out is to just have someone hold it in the desired angle, and put a protractor on it to get the measurements. Fun Fun!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/29/09 04:39 PM
Depending on how far below the screen, and how far back you sit, you may find that it will work fine with a normal installation.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/29/09 09:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: aspicer1
Thanks, I have the w150 and will need to angle it. I will have to build an angled section in the wall to accomplish this. I guess best way to figure it out is to just have someone hold it in the desired angle, and put a protractor on it to get the measurements. Fun Fun!

Funny, I did the exact same thing. I also angled the last 14" of the screen wall on each side for the W22's.

I'll try and get some pics tonight, probably make it easier to visualize what you need (or could) to do.

I had to put the W150 upside down as well, otherwise a stud blocked most of the speaker wire access to the posts.

Posted By: casey01 Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/29/09 11:39 PM
Center channel speakers like the 150 have pretty good vertical dispersion so even if you don't get it to the exact angle(up or down) to your ears it will make very little difference in performance. Where the difference in sound can be noticeable is if you are off to the sides at a relatively extreme angle.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 06:58 AM
So, here are the (not very good) pics... Room is getting carpet next week.

Entire screen wall:

And a close up of the W150, along with the little turd who snuck in there What looks like weird paint mismatch to the left of the speaker is the reflection off the gloss finish.

Posted By: Micah Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 08:16 AM
Wow... very, very, very nice!!! Extremely clean look, you've done a great job in there. Is that a false wall? Can you access everything from the back? Where are your electronics located? Can't wait to see it once the carpet is in.

[Austin Powers voice] I like your pussy.......... CAT! [/Austin Powers voice]

\:\)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 09:09 AM
Wow! Judging by the presence of the cat, I guess your subwoofer was not in operation at the time. ;\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 12:35 PM
Potato, I assume you have already enjoyed the theater and speakers with no flooring. You won't believe the difference once you get it carpeted, it will blow you away.
Posted By: Adrian Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 01:26 PM
Nice job, Tater!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 02:48 PM
 Quote:
along with the little turd who snuck in there

I love hearing other people's terms of endearment for their animals. \:\)
Posted By: Nick B Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 06:14 PM
There is a magic angle. Simply, take a laser pointer and place it on the side of the speaker so that it is at the height of the tweeter and facing the listening position. Angle the speaker up so that it will be at where your ear level is when seated. You can have someone hold a blanket right behind the seat in the main listening position (ie the sweet spot) to find this exactly. Now as was mentioned it doesn't make that much of a difference to get it exact due to the very good vertical dispersion of the Axiom center channel speakers. But it doesn't take much effort to get it right either, so why not?

- Nick
Posted By: Potatohead Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 06:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Wow... very, very, very nice!!! Extremely clean look, you've done a great job in there. Is that a false wall? Can you access everything from the back? Where are your electronics located? Can't wait to see it once the carpet is in.

[Austin Powers voice] I like your pussy.......... CAT! [/Austin Powers voice]

\:\)

Yes the wall is false, it is built about 12" in front of the concrete basement wall which was roughly drywalled by the builders. There is actually a window back there as well, I just stuffed the whole window well full of insulation to keep light off the back of the screen There is enough room to reach in there if I need to, I had to hook one of the W22's up from behind as I didn't leave quite enough wire... lol. The electronics will be in the back left corner of the room in a little 22" squared cubby hole... That can't really be set up until the carpet is in, it's killing me waiting.

Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Wow! Judging by the presence of the cat, I guess your subwoofer was not in operation at the time. ;\)

This room is going to be the death of him, I know it.

Originally Posted By: sirquack
Potato, I assume you have already enjoyed the theater and speakers with no flooring. You won't believe the difference once you get it carpeted, it will blow you away.

As above, not yet. I am planning on firing the projector for the first time tonight. Of course the carpet I wanted (black) is not in stock anywhere so it had to be ordered.

Thanks everyone for the comments... I was hoping to help the OP and don't want to derail the thread, I'll get a new thread and some more pics when it is totally complete.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 06:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: nickboros
But it doesn't take much effort to get it right either, so why not?

- Nick

My thoughts exactly
Posted By: jakewash Re: mounting angle of center channel - 10/30/09 06:57 PM
Nicely done so far, makes me wish I could set up a true HT as well \:\(
Posted By: aspicer1 Re: mounting angle of center channel - 11/12/09 08:14 PM
Potatohead. Your set up totally helps me out! I am moving and building a new theater so trying to "learn all that is learnable" (like Vger) before I start. I only have 8 ft ceilings in my new basement and have a support beam just above my screen. this means If i have a decent sized screen say 93 inches or so I will probably have to mount my center at least a few feet below ear level. Since i will have 2 rows i will want to angle to provide proper audio projection for both rows. I like your angled solution and will probably do something like that too. Thanks for the visual. Much easier to see it than understand an explaination.
© Axiom Message Boards