Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Riker Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 08:52 PM
Anyone here use a Monoprice coax cable to connect their subs ? I'm not one who believes in high priced cables by any means, all my cables are from BlueJeans and I love them.. but this Monoprice 25 foot long coax cable is only $3.70 !! I would think the RCA connectors are worth at least a buck each ? Can they actually manufacture and sell a quality 25 foot long cable with connectors under 4 bucks ? The equivalent in Blue Jeans is about $44 which is still pretty good I think.. and no, I'm not the kind of person that thinks expensive cables are better than affordable cables etc..etc.. I just want to know if anyone is using these incredibly, almost unbelievably inexpensive cables with as good of a results.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 09:02 PM
I would trust the Monoprice cable, it is just coax. You could go to Home depot and buy some RG59 or RG6 coax and install some RCA ends or use 'F' terminal to RCA adapters.
Posted By: Riker Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 09:06 PM
Yes, but I probably can't make a home depot cable of 25' with connectors for $3.70 !! that's just insane pricing.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 09:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I do. It seems to work just fine; or at least as well as the old monster video cable that I had before.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 09:13 PM
You are right that price is very cheap, very little overheard to cover I guess.

I have found some nice coax cable from Princess Auto for a few bucks for 15 - 20ft worth and I cut the ends off and install RCA's.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 09:30 PM
yeah, nothing wrong with them. They are not as flexible as the bluejeans cables, which are very flexible.
Posted By: Argon Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 09:31 PM
I am using Monoprice 25' sub cable. I don't remember exactly what I paid - but it is getting the job done.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 09:39 PM
I'm using 35 ft RG6 cable from Monoprice for the last 8-9 months, no probs, excellent deal for the $8 I paid.
Posted By: Riker Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 09:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
yeah, nothing wrong with them. They are not as flexible as the bluejeans cables, which are very flexible.

Is the monoprice cable flexible enough to run along a baseboard and coil any excess ? I remember reading someone having issues with the stiffness of this cable.. as long as it stays on the floor after implementation I don't care, but don't want to fight with it if it does not.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 10:15 PM
The mono is basically RG59 or RG6 I believe, depends on what you order. I have a couple of runs tucked under the baseboard trim and carpet, and excess coiled up behind my EP600 and 350's. It should develop a memory once you get it routed the way you want it... \:\) I think the RG59 is what I used, more flexible than RG6.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 10:44 PM
+ n to what Randy, Ken, Adrian and Argon said.
Posted By: Riker Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/04/09 11:42 PM
Thanks guys for your responses.. I guess I've got my answer !

Cheers,

Steph
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 12:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: Riker
and no, I'm not the kind of person that thinks expensive cables are better than affordable cables etc..etc.. I just want to know if anyone is using these incredibly, almost unbelievably inexpensive cables with as good of a results.

The only real difference i've found between "really" cheap cables and decent quality ones is that the cheap ones fail more often (i.e. solder joints, loose connectors, sheathing splits over time, etc.).
Posted By: Argon Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 12:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
+ n to what Randy, Ken, Adrian and Argon said.

You can call me Rob \:\)
Posted By: JohnK Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 02:27 AM
Stephane, when got my EP500 about three years ago, I of course wanted a good cable to connect it. I got a 12' MonoPrice cable for about $4 at that time(now less than $3). It does this very simple connecting job just fine and there's no good reason to pay a penny more.
Posted By: Riker Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 02:35 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Stephane, when got my EP500 about three years ago, I of course wanted a good cable to connect it. I got a 12' MonoPrice cable for about $4 at that time(now less than $3). It does this very simple connecting job just fine and there's no good reason to pay a penny more.

Thanks John, glad to hear you have been using this cable for 3 years without any issues at all. I just can't figure how they can sell a 25' cable $3.70 and make a profit.. unbelievable ! Ah well, if the product is good which it seems to be, so be it.. more money in our pockets !
Steph

Posted By: myrison Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 03:02 AM
Just one more answer... I have a 50' monoprice sub cable. Been running for a year, no issues
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 03:42 AM
My sub cable came from Blue Jeans Cable. I really like how flexible it is... It lies on the floor nicely. My speaker came from monorpice... it is not as flexible but works great.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 10:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK

Yeah, but don't ya hate it when you pay more for shipping than you do for the product. That's the one thing I hate about monoprice. The products are so damned inexpensive that the cost of shipping actually hurts. Sheesh! ;\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 02:55 PM
It's why I've never bought anything from Parts Express.
Posted By: alan Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 03:42 PM
Hey, I bought a copy of the War of the Worlds (remake)DVD from Amazon for one penny and the shipping was $2.98! (also the terrible sci-fi movie--I can't recall the title--with the ultra-low frequency content). Total purchase was $0.02.

Alan
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 03:47 PM
? wrong thread Alan. \:\)
Posted By: alan Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 03:56 PM
Oops. Hi-jack in progress. "Pulse", that's the name of the sci-fi movie.

Now, back to cable chat. I've gotten DVI/HDMI adapters, coaxial cables, optical digital links, and other stuff from Monoprice. Excellent quality.

Alan
Posted By: jakewash Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/05/09 09:10 PM
We are finally wearing off on him and he is now prone to threadjacking as well \:\)
Posted By: myrison Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/06/09 03:48 AM
Hey Alan, glad to hear it. I'm sure you remember that I've been nagging you for about a year now to try the Pulse out on the EP800. (looks like I need a new pastime) \:\)

Can't wait to hear what you think. I'm pretty sure it's the loudest / lowest frequency bass I've ever heard in a movie. (to the point where it seems like it was mixed in error)

Nevertheless, on a highly capable sub, it is an interesting experience!

Jason
Posted By: Ajax Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/06/09 11:30 AM
I love Parts Express but they cause me pain as well. Both of us are in the state of Ohio so the hit me for state tax. \:\(
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/06/09 11:32 AM
But shipping must be quick?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/06/09 05:07 PM
UPS Ground arrives overnight.
Posted By: Foobarred Re: Anyone using Monoprice Sub cable ? - 11/06/09 09:09 PM
Yes, I am, on 2 different subs. One is a 35' length, and the other is a 15', and both work great. Specifically I'm using:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...&seq=1&format=2
© Axiom Message Boards