Axiom Home Page
Posted By: roar New or used sub? - 12/03/09 04:15 AM
So I kind of hijacked another thread with my own dilema on whether to buy a sub to add to my 5.0 surround sound setup or to purchase an amp for my L/C/R.

After much thought, I believe I have decided to go the route of a new sub. A paradigm 3400 was recommended, as was checking out what the Canadian distributors of svs may have to offer in my price range.

Before I walk down that path though I wanted to bounce something off the group. I did write Axiom to ask their opinion and received a prompt reply, but I thought I'd extend it to you folks.

Given the option of a brand new EP350v3 or a 3 year old EP500v2 that I cannot get any warranty support for, what would you choose? Assume cost is close +/- $100.

My previous criteria was that I'm looking for a sub that will go low, <20Hz, for my theatre where 99% of my usage is movies or rock band \:\)

my theatre is approximatly 19x13x8, with m22's across the front behind an AT screen and some borrowed, older B&W surrounds. Size or look of the sub doesn't concern me much, it's a dedicated space.

I was considering making my own at one point, but I'm not convinced I can construct it well enough to meet my preformance expectations.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New or used sub? - 12/03/09 05:15 AM
That's a tough one. I know there have been several revisions to the EP500 since then. I would check with the owner to see if his sub has been updated and if he's ever encountered any issues with it. If yes/no, then I'd get that.

Otherwise I'd get the EP350v3. I have one, and I love it.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: New or used sub? - 12/03/09 05:25 AM
I keep hearing that Axiom has a trade-up program, where you can buy cheaply now, then trade-up when you can afford it later. I haven't seen anything on this website that officially describes it, but if it exists, then buy the EP350v3 now, then trade up to the EP500 in a year or so if you're not completely satisfied.
Posted By: jakewash Re: New or used sub? - 12/03/09 06:52 AM
Several revisions to the 500v2 in the last 3 years, really? I know the amps took a little different shape and changed some of the wording/switches on the panel but it is essentialy the same sub it was when it came out, as far as I can tell.

The EP350v3 is a great sub it doesn't reach quite as low but only by a few hz difference. The EP500 does have a bit more power to it and it is a noticeable improvement in feel over the 350, IMO.

I am glad I don't have to make this decision. \:\) I think if I could get the EP500 for a little less than the cost of the EP350v3 from the FO, I might be more inclined to get the 500.
Posted By: Wid Re: New or used sub? - 12/03/09 11:59 AM

With all that's been written here about troubles with the EP series of subs I wouldn't touch a used out of warranty one.
Posted By: roar Re: New or used sub? - 12/03/09 01:49 PM
I was told that the sub has had it's amp replaced, I didn't dig too much further, I didn't want to bother the seller a whole lot. The sub does have 2 years of warranty left on it, unfortuntaly the axiom warranty is not transferable.

Decisions, decisions \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: New or used sub? - 12/03/09 06:46 PM
I'd stick with a new one myself(new or FO, or other brand), just for the warranty as Rick pointed out.
© Axiom Message Boards