Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Eric Crowder Home theater with non-Parallel walls? - 12/14/09 05:48 AM
has anyone build a home theater room with non-parallel walls. Such as a room that is shaped like a m60 cabinet? If it works for the loudspeaker, I bet it would work for a room to reduce standing waves and bass hot spots. Seems like a good idea if one is building a new home with a planned home theater.

-Eric
Posted By: grunt Re: Home theater with non-Parallel walls? - 12/14/09 07:27 AM
Most good theaters and auditoriums are shaped that way. It could also allow for more seating. So I guess if you could do it from the ground up or mod a sufficiently large existing room it would be nice.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Home theater with non-Parallel walls? - 12/14/09 07:53 AM
When I get around to finishing the basement (and moving the HT down there) I plan to have significantly non-parallel walls, although the rationale is one part acoustics, one part making best use of available space, and one part simply because I liked the HT room in the following link :

http://www.videophile.info/Screen/Page_01.htm

Yes, it was the constant area screen which first caught my attention. I *really* like constant area screens ;\)
Posted By: grunt Re: Home theater with non-Parallel walls? - 12/14/09 08:24 AM
Interesting idea. When I first started reading it I though hey that’s what I’m going to be doing but then I realized the 3-way masking is designed not to maximize the size of the 2.35:1 and 1.33:1 images on a 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 but to actually make the 1.78:1/1.85:1 image smaller. Sacrilege! ;\)

I guess I’ll have to call my system “Biggest possible image in any ratio screen.”
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Home theater with non-Parallel walls? - 12/14/09 04:19 PM
Constant area screens (when done optically) also benefit from having a constant level of illumination. When going with constant height with an optical, horizontal stretch the same amount of light is spread over a larger area thus there's less to go around.
© Axiom Message Boards