Axiom Home Page
Posted By: duong VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/29/03 08:32 PM
My system consist of M22 for front M2 for surround and EP350 in a 12X10 room? Which center would you choose, VP100 or M2, to go with this system? Assuming price is not a factor.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/29/03 10:27 PM
This is a no-brainer: VP100. Why? Because it won't look as funny sitting on top of your TV.

In all seriousness, though, I've got M22s and and a VP100 and they blend very well, sharing the exact same driver complement. The main difference between the two is the shape and the lack of port on the VP100.

Is there a particular reason you are considering the M2 vs. the VP100?
Posted By: duong Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/29/03 10:42 PM
pmbuko,

Thanks for your response. My particular reason for considering the m2 is because I have tested an inverted m2 as a center and notice that it blend seamlessly with the m22i. Since you own the VP100, Do you feel the VP100 have the same tonality as the M22, or does it sound slightly different?
Posted By: JohnK Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/29/03 10:53 PM
Peter, as I've suggested to duong and others, I prefer a vertical center over the usual MTM arrangement(I haven't heard the VP150 arrangement, which appears to be a significant improvement). Other factors being equal the vertical speaker should have better horizontal dispersion.

The main difference between the M22s and VP100(other than differences in the crossover and enclosure tuning)would appear to be orientation. As an experiment, why don't you set your VP100 vertical(but listen with your eyes shut so that you can't see how funny it looks!).
Posted By: pmbuko Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/30/03 03:14 AM
That's a good idea. I'll give it a try and let you know what I discover. I might even wear a blindfold and have my brother randomly switch the orientation so I can do a blind review.
Posted By: sushi Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/30/03 05:47 AM
Yeah, great idea, John! I am going to experiment with my VP150 placed vertically on its side!
Posted By: asap2006 Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/30/03 06:36 PM
I've tried placing the 150 vertically and found that it sounds better. It's smoother and seemingly more 'open' sounding. But BEST OF ALL, it blends much better with the m22's when positioned this way. Only problem is, I can't place the 150 vertically since I own a tube tv. Wish I had a projector...can't place something that big on top of the tube or in front it.
Posted By: JohnK Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/30/03 07:26 PM
Uh, sushi, asap has no projector; I'm wondering what your suggestion might be?
Posted By: asap2006 Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/30/03 07:54 PM
Lol...no need to preach to me sushi, I know how great a projector is with the right environment. But I'm still undecided on the whole idea. Within 6 months I plan on buying either a rptv or a projector. With the prices of projectors falling they're definately looking a lot more attractive. Especially since the x1 is now available at best buy, where I can get employee discount from a relative. Only Problem is I'm thinking that projectors won't tolerate ambient light as well as a rptv, so normal cable/sattelite tv won't be possible. Of course on a rptv the pricture won't be great but still more tolerable. The best option would probably be buy a larger, nicer 32-36in tube for tv and a projector solely for movies at night. Maybe I'll do that, it's just that a rptv is more convenient. We'll see...
Posted By: JasonG Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/30/03 08:08 PM
If you have reasonably opaque window coverings, then you can watch TV on a projector.
Posted By: sushi Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/30/03 10:03 PM
In reply to:

The best option would probably be buy a larger, nicer 32-36in tube for tv and a projector solely for movies at night.

Yeah, do that! That is exactly what I did, too -- I placed a pulldown screen right in front of the built-in TV shelf, so that we can use both as needed. Incidentally, the image on typical RPTVs are also fairly dim. You will need a decent ambient light control for daytime RPTV viewing anyway.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/31/03 12:35 AM
Since this thread began, i became more curious about actually trying a VP150 in this on edge position.
I took a picture.

It looks kind of out of place and it darn near hits the ceiling.
My wife hates it.
I think the cat would knock it over.
The sound dispersion is definitely different (i'm sure the close ceiling does a ton), but i think overall, our VP150 shall remain on its usual axis.

Posted By: sushi Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/31/03 12:43 AM
Impressive, chess!!! You weren't as civilized or conservative as I thought you were!

And your wife is, well..., sane.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/31/03 01:40 AM
I'm telling you, that VP150 is real tipsy atop that rptv.
The speaker cable for it sits in the middle and pulls down with just enough weight to have it lean to one side...
Posted By: duong Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/31/03 03:52 AM
JohnK,

Other than better horizontal dispersion, does the m2i sound better than the vp100 as a center? Especially for music.
Posted By: JohnK Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/31/03 04:29 AM

Duong, I haven't heard the VP100, but my experience has been that I've never heard a horizontal MTM arrangement that sounded as good overall as a small vertical speaker(such as the M2)as similar as possible to the main speakers in the range above 80-90hz, which the M2 is with respect to the M22s and M60s.

Also worth trying when sitting in the sweet spot equidistant from the mains is no center speaker at all, with the mains creating a "phantom" center.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 05/31/03 09:35 AM
I just can't imagine how the smaller center channel would do Jurassic Park III any justice. Can the M2 handle the roars?
Posted By: JohnK Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 06/01/03 12:51 AM
Jim, the roars on the M2(or similar)would blow you right out of the room. More seriously, that type of speaker has plenty of dynamic capacity for a center channel in all but the largest of rooms, probably quite comparable in that respect to a VP100. If some center channel material would somehow be too much for the center speaker, regardless of how big it is, shut it off and let the mains handle it.
Posted By: jackme Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 06/01/03 01:35 PM
This is an interesting discussion. It never occured to me to try the center channel positioned vertically, instead of horizontally. I am going to experiment with the various possibilities. THANKS!
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 06/01/03 03:27 PM
I haven't heard any center channel material that the VP150 couldn't handle yet. I guess there's always a first time though.
Posted By: someidiot Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 06/04/03 01:16 AM
Are we talking about a single M2, or a pair of 'em? I would imagine horizontal dispersion would not be an isuue with a pair of M2's standing upright ... what do you think JohnK?
Posted By: JohnK Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 06/04/03 03:13 AM
Id, we're talking about one M2. Horizontal dispersion isn't a problem with a single vertical speaker, such as the M2, which has broad dispersion in itself.
Posted By: someidiot Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 06/04/03 06:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification JK.

Does an M2 have the equivalent amount of shielding as the VP100/150 ?
Posted By: foof Re: VP100 VS. M2I FOR CENTER CHANNEL - 06/05/03 09:56 AM
the center channels have better shielding. if i put my m2i right side up with the woofer on the bottom it distorts my tv picture. but with the speaker upside down it is fine. the tweeter magnet isnt as big i guess.
© Axiom Message Boards