Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2xs Question about the EP350 - 05/29/03 08:37 PM
I was hoping one of you experts could help me out =). I am confused about what freq. this sub goes to. There are 2 sets of numbers which one applies?

Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz) 25-120
Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB(Hz) 18-150

Does this sub go to 25 Hz, or 18 Hz? or am I totally reading this wrong? =) Am very new to this HT. Oh BTW I have my Epic 80 home theater speakers hooked up to an Onkyo TXDS989 V2 A/V reciever. Does this receiver pump out enough power, or should I add amps to this set up? Thanks for any info I get! =)

Marty

Posted By: sushi Re: Question about the EP350 - 05/29/03 08:53 PM
The specs simply mean that at 25Hz, the sub plays at -3dB efficiency compared to the average efficiency over, say, 30-80Hz; and at 18Hz, the efficiency goes down to -9dB of average. Efficiency is the sound level for a given signal level. So, the sub "goes" down to 25Hz and to 18Hz but with different efficiencies. Keep in mind that -3dB represents a half physical power of the sound, and -10dB denotes that the sound is about "half as loud subjectively" to human ears.

Another important measure of a sub's performance is the maximum peak sound level it can reproduce at given bass frequencies (for example, 110dB at 25Hz).
© Axiom Message Boards