Axiom Home Page
Posted By: duong SUBWOOFER LEVEL FOR EP350? - 06/03/03 06:18 PM
I have setup all my speakers to 75DB level using an SPL Meter. Now to anyone who has the EP350, where do you set your gain/volume level at to match your speakers level? Should it be at the 10, 11, or 12 O'Clock position? Thanks in advanced for your help.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: SUBWOOFER LEVEL FOR EP350? - 06/03/03 08:49 PM
i tend to put the volume on the sub low and boost it on the receiver so that it sends a stronger signal. This keeps it from falling asleep in a quiet period in movies.
Posted By: JohnK Re: SUBWOOFER LEVEL FOR EP350? - 06/04/03 03:49 AM
Duong, there's no specific best setting for the level control on the sub. Once you've determined either by ear or by meter how loud you want the sub(careful; most setups I've heard had the sub too loud. It shouldn't draw attention to itself)that level can be set by a combination of the settings on the receiver sub output and the control on the sub itself. As Ravi suggested, you should be sure to set the receiver output high enough to reliably "wake up" the sub. If that's no problem, the two controls should be set to a similar amount above their minimum setting.
Posted By: duong Re: SUBWOOFER LEVEL FOR EP350? - 06/04/03 08:09 PM
JohnK,

Since I set all my speakers to 75DB, shouldn't my subwoofer be at 75DB? Thanks for your help.

Posted By: Semi_On Re: SUBWOOFER LEVEL FOR EP350? - 06/05/03 03:43 AM
If you're using a meter, I'd simply try to match it to the other speaker outputs. For me, that's about 40% of the subs gain.
Posted By: sushi Re: SUBWOOFER LEVEL FOR EP350? - 06/06/03 08:54 PM
I second others' comments here, but I would set the subwoofer level 1-2dB below 75dB (or whatever standard level for other channels) as measured by the RadioShack SPL meter. This is because the "C" weighting curve slightly rolls off at low bass frequencies. In other words, the SPL meter is slightly less sensitive at low bass frequencies, so setting the subwoofer exactly at 75dB will result in a slight over-calibration of the sub.

See this page for more details on weighting curves.
© Axiom Message Boards