Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Micah You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 03:31 AM
I was looking at my posts and I decided to check out my very 1st post on this forum... check it out, and post up your very 1st post so we can see it! \:\)

Quote:
Ok so I'm about to purchase an Axiom home theater system, but I'm trying to decide between the Epic 80/600, or the Epic 80/500 with an extra EP500 to go along with it. So for owners of each, I would like to hear impressions in the differences between these two subs. I'm looking for maximum bass in movies (like everyone else), but also good, tight musical performance.

My movie room is 24 x 24 (about 600 sq ft) with 8 1/2 inch ceilings. It has a door to close it off to the rest of the house, so I'm sure that the EP600 would do the job just fine while the door is closed. What I'm wondering is will it fill my entire house (about 2500 sq ft) with pounding bass when I'm listening to music? This is what I was wondering, would I be better off spending $600 dollars more than the EP600's price tag ($1900) for an extra 400 watts worth of bass performance? Or is the EP 600 THAT MUCH BETTER of a sub than the EP500 that it's not neccessary?

I thank you in advance for your advice. _________________________

Posted By: pmbuko Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 04:31 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Well, your sanity (or lack thereof) is not something we are qualified to comment on. However, we agree you will need a center/centers at some point.

To increase the WAF of a center channel, you could try painting a nice design on the grill...

This was May 5, 2003. I was responding to a post Ken had made about the WAF of center channels. \:\)
Posted By: nickbuol Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 04:44 AM

From 09/16/2004...

Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I know that this has probably been beaten to death here, but I thought that I would ask. We are putting a theater area in our basement, but I need to know if I will gain any benefits from anything about 5.1 surround.

I don't own Axioms yet, but I will be getting M22ti fronts, VP-150 center, QS-8 Surrounds, and a to be determined sub (dare I say most likely not an Axiom???). Anyhow. We will be putting up a nice 90-100" screen and projector (phase 2 of my money spending) and I want "WOW" kind of sound. The home I moved from 2 years ago had a dedicated home theater room, but just a 48" TV and KLH (yuck) speakers. I know that I am going to be amazed by the Axioms, but I need to know if I should start wiring for 6.1 or 7.1 and more importantly, if I should start saving some extra cash to buy the addition speaker(s)....

Here is a link to a picture that is fairly to scale of our basement. The screen will go on the far right side of the "top" part of the diagram.

I am just afraid of sound getting "lost" behind the seating area, but I have already agreed with my wife that we will not be making a separate room for this. WIth a 980SqFt basement (small if you ask me) for our newer 2 story home, I don't want to chop it up.

And No, the other area is a game room and must remain a game room. It is tucked away nice and neat for a home theater, but then all of my big toys would be in the main basement area and my wife said "no way!"....

Anyway, any help would be great.

Here is the link to the basement diagram...

http://www.buol.us/images/basement.jpg

Nick

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 04:51 AM
 Quote:
Have been a long time reader of this forum, and finally decided to become part of it. Last summer I spent a lot of time reading about and listening to speakers. Well, I read about Axioms and listened to Monitor Audios, mainly. I think Chesseroo favorably compared the MA Silver Series to Axioms. So I figured the Monitors would give me a good impression of the Axiom sound. Spent a good two hours at a local hifi shop listening to the MA Silver and Gold series. Went in the morning during a weekday to avoid other customers to do some serious listening. Heck, I didn't even speak to a salesperson for about an hour and a half, which isn't necessarily bad. Close call between the S6 and S8, but in the end I went the the GR 10. They had just a tad more detail in the uppers, and threw out an incredible soundstage. As much as I like GR 10s, I'm still thinking about floorstanders. In any case, congrats on the new purchase. By the way, I know I'm new to the boards, but would love to listen to the S8s and the M60s. I'm not too far from where you are.

Wow, here I was trying to ingratiate myself to the forum by, um, telling everyone about my speaker speaker shopping for NOT Axioms. Oh yeah, and I was trying to weasel my way into a listen session with Mark (bigwill).
Posted By: Wid Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 05:01 AM
06/22/03 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: wid
I just bought a pair m80's and have a hsu vtf-2. My room is 15x20x 7.5 and only have the volume set about 11o'clock. to me it more than enought to fill anything below 40hz.This is what the crossover is set at.At about 350 to 400 less than the vtf-3 its worth a thought.

Just trying to get in on the conversation.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 06:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I just placed an order for my first Axiom product. I'm starting simple, with a pair of QS8s. I had recently upgraded my receiver to a 7.1 model and couldn't stand having those two speaker jacks with nothing attached.

I do plan to eventually have a full compliment of Axiom products. Another pair of QS8s, and a VP150. I'm still not sure which mains, but am leaning toward the M60s, and am really up in the air over the sub.

But lets just see how the QS8s do to start. (I'm sure they'll be better than my 15 year old, two-way, monopole, Sony, surround speakers, which will be relocated to the rear for now.) \:D

I registered and read the forum for 5 days, but didn't post until I had made my purchase. Have now still only picked up the VP150 in addition to my QS8s, but I also got a blender for the kitchen.
Posted By: CV Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 06:41 AM
I want your blender.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 07:06 AM
Trade you for an EP800. (You knew that was coming.)

Really, though, an EP800 would probably get me kicked out of the apartment. This blender may as well, also. I was making my breakfast smoothie on Sunday, and shook a baking sheet off the counter at the other end of the room. Also watching the intro DVD which came with it; apparently on High (which is like turning it up to 11), it will heat (by friction of the blade) soup to steaming hot in about 5 minutes. Yeah, you can throw tomatoes and other ingredients into the thing, crank it up to max, and let it spin for 5 minutes, and have hot soup come out. Insane.
Posted By: CV Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 07:13 AM
Ha ha, that really is insane. When are you trying it?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 07:35 AM
That is crazy. I think I'd heard of that before, but I didn't believe it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 07:36 AM
 Quote:
I just got myself my first new receiver - a H/K AVR525. I really like it, but I've got a few issues, mainly centering around the fact I only have 2 speakers and a sub. I'd like to get a center channel speaker at least, but my wife thinks they're ugly (universally, not any in particular), and won't let me get one until I finish building the entertainment center. Not a problem, but I don't think she'll change her mind about the ugly thing after I finish the EC. I was brainstorming, and I need y'all to tell me if this is crazy. I was thinking that two bookshelf speakers placed very close to the TV might work as a center channel (with either a second amp, or one of those A+B speaker switches), and might be more aesthetically pleasing to her. I was thinking of M2tis as opposed to the VP100. Eventually, I plan to replace my current POS front speakers with M22tis. I'm not sure what to do with the surrounds yet; probably QS4s, or 4 QS2s (7.1 sound...)

Thanks in advance for not flaming me to oblivion....

Ken

Obviously the one that Peter replied to, and obviously not what I ended up doing...
Posted By: RickF Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 09:23 AM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Wow, a bunch of crazies around here.

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 10:51 AM
In response to someone who was thinking or ordering an VP150 to start upgrading his speakers one by one.

Quote:
This is how I started too. I replaced my central speaker with a VP-150v2 in part to "test" Axiom products at a reasonable price and with something that could be returned (as if anyone would do that with these babies!) without too much difficulty. Well... I had a House DVD in and I just pressed play. 30 seconds of Hugh Laurie from a VP-150v2 was enough to convince me! Right after that, I replaced my surround speakers with 2QS-8 (even greater improvement, although much more subtile) and 10 days ago, I ordered and received my new sons: M80ti Left and M80ti Right (or, as their are nicknamed, Junior-L and Junior-R). Now my cheap Kenwood subwoofer is unplugged and within a week or so, I shall order myself a EP-500... and then maybe 2 more QS-8...

Note: They were M80v2s, not M80tis... and I think the right one is on the left now, or it might just be a perspective thing...
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 11:04 AM

That was an honest first post and getting truer every day...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 11:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I'd love to say that I've been lurking here for a long time, but the truth is, this is my first time here.

I've been taking steps to upgrade my HT and am doing some preliminary research on speakers. I currently have a pair of DCM TimeFrame 600's as my mains but I'm in a fairly small room and I know that they would do better in a larger room. (I once took them into another larger room and driving them with my old NAD 2200 amp at several hundred wpc, I remember them as being pretty impressive). The other day, I purchased a universal disc player and did some critical listening, and they just really seem to be “veiling” some of the detail that I was hearing on the new discs (as well as old ones). It’s almost as if I could tell that the DVD-A and SACD selection had more to offer then the speakers were letting through…especially in the highs. They're also physically "wide" speakers and, with only so much wall space, they are limiting my desire to move to a ~42"~46" LCD projection TV. A "narrower" monopole or the move to bookshelf speakers would free up some space physically. My system is also not matched… with a DCM from a different model line as the center and those old Realistic Linolium (!!! SP?) LX-7s (or whatever they are) in the surrounds.

Anyway, here are some of the particulars: Room size is 13' square for a total of 170 square feet. I would be driving the system with my new Denon 3805. For movies, I like dramas and action. For music, I like everything from Guns N' Roses and old hard rock bands like Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin through Carly Simon and John Mayer and Michael Hedges…. pretty wide-ranging. I’m looking to crank up some rock one day, and yet enjoy the delicacy of an acoustic guitar on DVD-Audio the next.

I’ve read some great posts in other forums regarding Axiom speakers… particularly the M22s and M60s. I’m really not too concerned about the price difference between them; I look at speaker purchasing as being long-term as opposed to the many other items that get upgraded constantly and the $400 difference isn’t one that I’m concerned with.

My thought is this based upon what I’ve read: The M60s will do better with that hard rock (pretty logically), but may not have the delicacy of the M22s on that acoustic guitar. My experience with my current speakers makes me hesitant to buy a speaker too large for my needs. Again, not because of the price, but because it might actually be detrimental to the sound. Usually, I regret “under buying” and have learned over the years to spend a little more on the better product/item. In this case, though, I’m afraid of “over buying”.

Here’s another kicker: I might end up in a much larger space in another couple of years, as my wife and I are discussing refinishing an attic that would result in a 25’ x 35’ “great room” with a high, peaked ceiling. Certainly, the M22s could not fill that space. This might mean that the M22s serve my needs well at the moment, but not down the road. If the M60s don’t do as well in a “smallish” room, though, they would only meet potential long-term needs but not do as well in the meantime.

To sum up lots of background and a way-too-long post:

Do the M60s need to “open up” in a big room, or do they handle the delicate stuff as well as the reviews say the M22 does?

The trend has been to make my posts shorter over the years, while still using the word "veiling" whenever possible, because it annoys a certain someone out there!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 11:30 AM
Did you move to the much larger space?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 12:22 PM
No. Still the sucky small one.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 01:22 PM
Mark, I thought for sure you'd include a link to the mother-of-all-posts.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 01:25 PM
But it wasn't my first.... \:\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 01:26 PM
If I were going to do that, I might as well post link to all 5525 posts. That would be a riot, wouldn't it?

For me, I mean.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 01:30 PM
\:D
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 01:39 PM
What you don't know (yet) is that Axiom had to delete 5413 of your posts to save disk space...
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 01:44 PM
I'm sure they were sorted based upon percentage of helpful information....
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 01:55 PM
I'm sure they were sorted based upon percentage of helpful information....

Hence the use of the word "deleted"... ;\)
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 02:20 PM
Trade you for an EP800. (You knew that was coming.)

Really, though, an EP800 would probably get me kicked out of the apartment. This blender may as well, also. I was making my breakfast smoothie on Sunday, and shook a baking sheet off the counter at the other end of the room. Also watching the intro DVD which came with it; apparently on High (which is like turning it up to 11), it will heat (by friction of the blade) soup to steaming hot in about 5 minutes. Yeah, you can throw tomatoes and other ingredients into the thing, crank it up to max, and let it spin for 5 minutes, and have hot soup come out. Insane.

Ah, did you get a Vita-Mix 5000? I've had one for five years now, incredible blender. The greatest thing about it is on high it spins so fast it breaks the cell wall making it possible to digest all of the vitamins and minerals locked inside of foods that sometimes otherwise simply pass right through your system!!!!

Now I see why you haven't bought your M60's just yet, as the Vita-Mix almost costs as much as a set!!! \:o
Posted By: Micah Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 02:28 PM

And thus, Rick was INSTANTLY embraced by the Axiom community! ;\)
Posted By: Micah Re: Your very first post.... - 02/16/10 02:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Mark, I thought for sure you'd include a link to the mother-of-all-posts.

Perhaps its time to start a 'mother of all posts' thread & we can all post up our craziest posts eh?

Hmmmm... That kinda sounds a little too much like home work thought. \:\(
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 03:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Ah, did you get a Vita-Mix 5000? I've had one for five years now, incredible blender. The greatest thing about it is on high it spins so fast it breaks the cell wall making it possible to digest all of the vitamins and minerals locked inside of foods that sometimes otherwise simply pass right through your system!!!!

Now I see why you haven't bought your M60's just yet, as the Vita-Mix almost costs as much as a set!!! \:o

Actually, got the Vita-Mix Professional Series CIA (Model 1709). It's the basis for the 5200, but a restaurant-grade finish, and a $50 savings for being the no-nonsense version. (Sort of like Onkyo Pro vs. Integra.)
Posted By: Listener Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 03:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: Listener
I'm a newbie to these forums as this is my first post. I have been reading for a while now and researching my theather system for the past year or so. I have finally decided on what I will be getting. I changed my mind many times from Polk LSI 15s to Paradigm 60s , to Paradigm Onwall Esprit and have landed on the Epic Grand Master 500 Architectural series. I decided I did not have the space for floor standing speakers so on-walls it is.

I will be ordering these in High Gloss Cherry soon. I am also planning on getting the Denon 3808 and a PS3 for bluray playback (And the games ofcourse).

My Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U 50" 1080p Plasma is getting delivered today.

I will post some pics once I have all of it setup. My only question is whether the Denon is a bit of an overkill for these speakers? I do like the Idea of the built in Audiology calibration system (Since I doubt I could do it better myself) as well as the ability to stream music from my PC and internet radio.

Posted By: DaveG Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 03:29 PM
 Quote:
I placed my order for what amounts to an Epic Grand Master-500 system, fronts,center,surrounds in high gloss cherry and EP-500 sub from the factory outlet (I only see the front in my set-up). As for now I am enduring the wait until the shipment arrives. Will post pics after speakers arrive and are set-up.

Posted By: CatBrat Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 03:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
This is my first post here. I was looking for speakers at Best Buy, and the best they had to offer in the computer dept was some Bose Companion 5's. Almost bought them before I noticed the Axiom speakers. I was going for the Audiobytes with EPZero, then decided to upgrade subwoofer to EP125. Now thinking about also upgrading the satelites to M2 or M3, but need a 2.1 amplifer to go from computer to satelites with an unamplified subwoofer conection. With this, I'm already at $705 USD, and don't want to spend a whole lot more. Anybody out there know of a good little amp for this purpose?

I just finished with my first computer build and was looking for some decent speakers. The problem is I got stuck in upgraditous mode for computer speakers until the price got to over $1000, at which point I just took the better ones I had on my computer at work and used them at home. Cost $zero.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 04:25 PM
 Quote:
Hello all! My HT has been untouched for quite a few years and I recently got the 'bug' to upgrade. I'm considering starting off with m80/denon 3805 purchase. I'm hoping someone out there is familiar with the older Infinity Kappa series speakers and how they might compare with the M80's. I have the original Kappa 8's, a large 4-way speaker with 12" woofers, being driven (poorly) by an older Yamaha RV-1100 receiver. (Kappas are very power-hungry). Anyway I recently compared them to some Boston Acoustics VR3's I heard in a Best Buy Magnolia Theatre store, because of their crisp highs and 'forward' sound as compared to the Definitive Technologies 7002's that were in the same room, and that I was considering up to that point. Let me also add that I have a Def Tech PF15 subwoofer that I plan to keep.
First off, I don't consider myself an audiophile, and don't proport to know whether I'm hearing something that's 'warm' as opposed to 'sibilant', or other terms I've read that I frankly don't know how to apply. I am however a musician (part-time now), and obviously know what is pleasing to my ears.
I hooked up the VR3's to the B set of terminals on the Yamaha and started comparing minus the sub. The 1st thing I noticed, other than the obvious efficiency difference, was the crisp highs I heard at the store seemed poor when compared with the Kappas, which surprised me. I'd say that the imaging and the 'forward' sound were traits I liked about the VR3's, but the midrange (especially vocals) was MUCH too prominant and unnatural when compared to the Kappas. Although I bought the Kappas (almost 20yrs ago now) beacuse of their high definition and natural sound which they do great job of, I was never satisfied with the bass 'punchiness' of the speaker, perhaps partially due to the speakers' inefficiency. The sub helps, but I haven't been able to get quite the results I want.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from some Axiom owners with some suggestions as to what I might expect with the m80/3805 combo as an upgrade to what I have, even if it's just to say ...just try em!

Thx!

My 1st post was I thread I started...since then I got Outlaw monos, a PB-13... and I gave the old Def-Tech sub away as a Christmas gift! I still have the EP-500... not being used!

I still have the big Kappa 8's stored here in my computer room. I'll have to get off my lazy ass and put em on ebay soon... it would have to be for local pick-up because of their size. But, I ramble...
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 04:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat

I just finished with my first computer build and was looking for some decent speakers. The problem is I got stuck in upgraditous mode for computer speakers until the price got to over $1000, at which point I just took the better ones I had on my computer at work and used them at home. Cost $zero.

Well I have a set of M80's, a set of QS8's, a VP150 and an EP800 hooked up to my computer along with a 65 inch monitor... BEAT THAT!!!

Haha, just kidding. It is awful nice having the computer hooked up to the HT though I must admit. Because like you, I would have probably constantly swapped up for better performance until I'd purchased another Epic 80/800 system just for it!!! \:o
Posted By: Listener Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 04:57 PM
Spoiler you're not using the ep500? Is the PB13 that much better?
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 05:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Spoiler

My 1st post was I thread I started...since then I got Outlaw monos, a PB-13... and I gave the old Def-Tech sub away as a Christmas gift! I still have the EP-500... not being used!

I still have the big Kappa 8's stored here in my computer room. I'll have to get off my lazy ass and put em on ebay soon... it would have to be for local pick-up because of their size. But, I ramble...

Ummm... squeeze me? Baking powder??? You have a $1250 dollar subwoofer laying around NOT being used??? You'd better have a damn good reason for this pal, this is subwoofer neglect, a crime punishable by death in a few of the more strict dimensions out there! Now out with it, how can this be???

\:\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 05:05 PM
According to this review, the frequency response of the PB13 isn't very flat.
Posted By: jakewash Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 05:21 PM
That is an in room FR and means his room has some issues like all of ours. I would look to Hometheatershack and Ilka's testing at 15hz tune my prefered setting.

We managed to derail yet another thread

my first post:

Originally Posted By: jakewash
Which would you choose. The Yamaha HTR5660 or the Denon 1804? I have QS4 rears and vp100 center. My bose 201 mains are to be replaced by m22's very soon. I also hope to upgrade my sub next year. The room my HT system is in is only 12x16. Any thoughts on this set up are appreciated.

That sub was never replaced until a couple years ago
Posted By: Argon Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 05:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: Argon
I am dredging up an older thread here as I have been researching for future purchases. Ratpack made a comment that no one should consider doing upscale or upconversion through their receiver. Intuitively, that sounds reasonable to me. However, I have also done some research on another forum, AVS, and there are several threads there with throngs of followers dedicated to receivers like the Denon 3806 and the Yamaha 2600. The hook seems to be the upscale to 1080i. That brings me to the question - with these new receivers, has there been a change in the "best" or "preferred" method of upscaling? I have cable now but not digital cable. I don't have a new tv but that would be a future purchase. I like the new SXRD Sonys - would they better handle the upscaling or upconversion. I have a lot of uncertainties - hoping to clear them up here - and I never like to walk into a large purchase (particularly audio/video) unless I know at least as much or more than the salesman.

Apparently, I lurked for about a year and a half prior to this first post - where I was beginning the build of my system. Starting with a Receiver then TV then speakers. Date of the post was 1/30/06. First person to answer me was.......JohnK.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 05:34 PM

Momentary thread derail time! \:\) Catbrat... that response curve is in that particular room with the PB13. Virtually any sub would have an uneven response curve depending on the room and where it's placed. I've got an SMS-1 as well and the curve was all over the place with both the PB13 and EP500 at first.

I bought the PB13 back in the Mojo days for those of you who remember....we traded many PM's when he was comparing the PB13 to the EP600. The EP500 is an outstanding sub... but for me the PB13 was worth upgrading (admittedly, factoring in the BIG hassle of shipping it back \:\) ) I could use the EP500 as a second sub, but evening the room response a little more isn't really a factor for me since I'm usually the only listener. The bass here is very nice, thank you. \:D

So I'm torn as to keeping it or not. PM me if you'd like more info.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 05:34 PM
I have a Vitamix 5000 and can testify that it can, indeed, heat liquids to steaming hot.

I got mine as a late (by 3 years!) wedding present from a family friend. \:\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 05:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Spoiler
Momentary thread derail time! \:\) Catbrat... that response curve is in that particular room with the PB13. Virtually any sub would have an uneven response curve depending on the room and where it's placed.

I didn't realize the room affected the response that much, since I've never bought one yet. But, I should have known from all I've read here so far.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 06:06 PM
Jason, it's good that you said that, as I read that review a month or so ago and wasn't thrilled about the sub. I was going to save up for it, but after reading that review, I decided to try to save up longer for the Paradigm sub 25, which would easily outperform the PB 13 ultra, but at twice the cost. Now that you have mentioned that, I'm probably going to revert back to the original choice of the PB 13.

Cam
Posted By: jakewash Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 06:56 PM
I love my PB13, I would really like to compare it to the EP800 with the new amps, someone care to lend me an EP800? .........Anyone?.........anyone?..........I guess I will have to take the PB13 up to Mel's sometime.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 07:30 PM
That's another thing. Both subs have comparable output, and I unfortunately can't justify another $500-$600(depending how much I can haggle), although I admittedly don't know the technical advantages/disadvantages of them head to head. I love Axiom, and don't want to have to go elsewhere, but the price difference is pretty steep. The way I look at it is if I was going to spend $2600 on the EP800, why not save up another $1400 or less for the sub 25, that would kick the living hell out of an EP800.
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 02/16/10 08:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I have a Vitamix 5000 and can testify that it can, indeed, heat liquids to steaming hot.

why yes, this is what I love about cleaning it. It's a breeze... simply add water and run on high for 3 - 4 minutes and you've sterilized it! \:\)
Posted By: davekro Re: You're very first post.... - 02/19/10 09:36 AM
from 2-15-09
[Quote=]Two opposing things that I think calls for a well thought out compromise. This great room (w/ kitchen and dining room behind listening area) having ≈ 700 sq', and 6,000 cu', is coupled with an amp on the smaller side (Denon 1909, 90 wpc). So the ability (power wise)to go with large fronts to help fill this large area is limited. I am hoping M60's will do an adequate job as fronts. Sides easily will be QS8's. The Axiom rep. concurred that for 7.1 backs located 16' behind primary listening posistion, QS8 reflectives would not get to listeners well. He recommended M2 (5 1/4" drvr) front firing bookshelves. I was surprised he thought the M22's (dual 5 1/4" drvrs) would not add that much and that M2's would do well there.

I know it's more important for rears to match rears and fronts to match fronts. So the question may be somewhat splitting hairs... How well will the M2 5 1/4" drvrs timber match the M60's (dual 6 1/2" mid/bass, one 5 1/4" mid drvr)? Great that the M2 has exactly the same driver and tweeter as the M8 surrounds. Also, what width apart would be a good choice for backs being 16' behind list. pos.? Current rears are on a shelf in corners. During Audyssey set up, you can tell the corner boosts them in a way that does not blend well.

Thanks, Dave[Quote]

Boy, did I learn how many hairs I tried to split. It took a loong time to let that go. ;o)

Did tons of testing with M80s, M60s, VP150 and (4) QS8s. I settled on M80s and the VP150. I've been away a long time. Been enjoying the home theater, instead of my previous analysis paralysis. ;\)

Thanks to all who helped (and tolerated) me in my long decision process!

I hope all are well personally and electronically.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: You're very first post.... - 02/19/10 10:49 AM
Hey Dave! Good to see you again!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: You're very first post.... - 02/19/10 03:51 PM
Dave! Welcome back! Please stay awhile.
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 02/19/10 07:10 PM
[quote=davekro]from 2-15-09
[Quote=]Two opposing things that I think calls for a well thought out compromise. This great room (w/ kitchen and dining room behind listening area) having ≈ 700 sq', and 6,000 cu', is coupled with an amp on the smaller side (Denon 1909, 90 wpc). So the ability (power wise)to go with large fronts to help fill this large area is limited. I am hoping M60's will do an adequate job as fronts. Sides easily will be QS8's. The Axiom rep. concurred that for 7.1 backs located 16' behind primary listening posistion, QS8 reflectives would not get to listeners well. He recommended M2 (5 1/4" drvr) front firing bookshelves. I was surprised he thought the M22's (dual 5 1/4" drvrs) would not add that much and that M2's would do well there.

I know it's more important for rears to match rears and fronts to match fronts. So the question may be somewhat splitting hairs... How well will the M2 5 1/4" drvrs timber match the M60's (dual 6 1/2" mid/bass, one 5 1/4" mid drvr)? Great that the M2 has exactly the same driver and tweeter as the M8 surrounds. Also, what width apart would be a good choice for backs being 16' behind list. pos.? Current rears are on a shelf in corners. During Audyssey set up, you can tell the corner boosts them in a way that does not blend well.

Thanks, Dave
 Quote:

Boy, did I learn how many hairs I tried to split. It took a loong time to let that go. ;o)

Did tons of testing with M80s, M60s, VP150 and (4) QS8s. I settled on M80s and the VP150. I've been away a long time. Been enjoying the home theater, instead of my previous analysis paralysis. ;\)

Thanks to all who helped (and tolerated) me in my long decision process!

I hope all are well personally and electronically.

Well that's all fine and good, but Dave we've moved on if you haven't noticed. Now tell us, what blender do you have?

Posted By: ClubNeon Re: You're very first post.... - 02/19/10 08:17 PM
Hey, it is nice to see you back around these parts. We both showed up at about the same time. You have some catching up to do now that I have twice as many posts as you.

So yes, start with kitchen appliances.
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 02/20/10 02:07 AM
Hey that's cool, we both hit 1111 post together Chris! Of course, posting this up will up my count to 1112, but as I'm looking at them at this second, we're both at 1111... you reached it a little faster than I did however, you bastard!!!

\:\)
Posted By: GregLee Re: You're very first post.... - 02/20/10 02:52 AM
post #9408 - 03/12/03 08:32 AM
Shipping to Hawaii free?
 Originally Posted By: GregLee

I did do a search to find out whether shipping to Hawaii is extra (since it is not in North Amaerica), but all I see is a note that shipping to Hawaii "has happened".

Shipping was free, and I ordered an M2i.
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 02/20/10 03:45 AM
Yes indeed. And you didn't stop there by the looks of things! Congrats, and did it really say, "shipping to Hawaii has happened" on the website? That's pretty funny actually. \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Your very first post.... - 02/20/10 05:06 AM
Posted By: CV Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 05:08 AM
You did what?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 05:10 AM
We're you trying to say something?
Posted By: CV Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 05:12 AM
The tire tracks disappeared from your wall and now adorn mine.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 05:28 AM
We are indeed.
Posted By: Micah Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 06:31 AM
I seem to be missing something?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 06:42 AM
Actually, you had a few extra things.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 01:31 PM
my first post below. I was debating on klipsch or axiom m60s (or maybe even the m50s) with an ep350, and I planned on getting a yamaha receiver.

Looks like I blew my original 2k budget by opting for the epic 80 500 and a 3808 \:\) . I just happened to find an audition for the m80s and couldn't go back... and with 6ave offering such a great deal on the 3808 who couldn't give in?

Quote:
ok, so i am sure to get a biased response around here but...
i have about a 2k budget. I listened to klipsch synergy f-3 speakers at best buy and I liked them.

link here: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/f-3-home-theater-system.aspx

some people over at avs forum suggested axiom speakers instead, and I have read nothing but great reviews. I wish I could hear them, I like the 30 day trial but hate to pay $200 to ship them back if I do not like them.

anyway- I was just wanting to get some input from people about these speakers... maybe someone who has heard the klipsch speakers as well.

Also, I could save some cash and get the axiom epic 50/350...

The receiver I am buying is the new Yamaha RX-V661

link here: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=547398

it is rated at 90 watts per channel, and It may be 6 months+ before I can purchase an external amp... so would I be better off getting the axiom epic 50's over the 60's? is 90 watts per channel going to push the 60's until i can get an amp?

any comments of the klipsch vs axiom, or the epic 60's vs the 50's are welcomed.

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 02:21 PM
Yeah, that's quite a budget overrun... Did you use to work as an accountant at Nortel?
Posted By: Adrian Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 02:59 PM
That's why they call it a budget. You start at say, $2000 then you "budge it" a few times till you get what you want.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 03:16 PM
Well, when I realized I wanted to spend about twice as much as originally budgeted I delayed my purchase 6-7 months and saved up.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 03:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
That's why they call it a budget. You start at say, $2000 then you "budge it" a few times till you get what you want.

Good one
Posted By: Micah Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 05:20 PM
I did a lot better this time around, I had a figure of around $4000 bucks to spend in my head, and the Epic 80/800 all from the factory outlet cost $4400. Not bad.

Expecially not bad considering my last HT debacle. I had a 36 inch TV in my basement that I wanted to upgrade to a big screen. I saw where our company gave discounts on a certain brand, I think it was perhaps Sharp or Zenith? Anyway, so I started looking at getting a 50 inch rear projection, that would cost $2000 bucks with my company discount. But then when I went down to HH Greggs (I'd been doing all my shopping online to that point) to actually see the TV in person, I fell for a Toshiba 65" rear projection that cost $3500. Then I decided to update my reciever from the crappy Sony thing (that came in one of those 'rack systems' they sold at Sears... A reciever, dual tape deck, CD player & two tower speakers for $400 bucks) I had to something better... well after scouring the internet I finally talked myself into the Denon 4802 that I currently still own, for a mere $2200 bucks (I say mere because it listed for over $3000 dollars on Denon's webste, but after endless nights searching for the best deal I could get, I found it for $2200... How could I NOT take advantage of such a deal, right?). Then came the 9 piece surround sound, wires (back then I fell for Monsters propaganda hook, line & sinker... I had over $1000 dollars in the wire, cables & of course their premium power conditioner. So 50% of my ORIGINAL budget I gave to Monster. Oh yeah, color me stupid), new DVD player, yada yada... All told my initial $2000 dollar budget ended up being a $9000 dollar home theater.

Which I enjoyed for years mind you, but let's just say the wife wasn't impressed with my lack of discipline for quite some time! \:\(

P.S. Of all my purchases, the Denon really did knock my socks off!
Posted By: Micah Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 06:59 PM
Oh and the 9 piece surround sound was actually 11 pieces, as I utilized all 6 of the surround channels the Denon supplied, plus left/right mains, a center and two original subwoofers. A 220 watt Cerwin Vega down firing sub and a 350 watt JVC down firing monster that rocked that basement like nothing else!!! The only problem was the JVC would only last 3 or 4 weeks and then it would quit working altogether! I went through 3 of them until they discontinued it. Then I switched to an Acoustic Research model. But it fizzled out after about two months. After that I gave up and just stuck with the Cerwin Vega.

So, has anyone else here gone $7000 grand over their original budget? Please make me feel better, am I the least disciplined (and most foolish, spending $1000+ on Monster Cables) member of this board???
Posted By: Adrian Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 07:36 PM
Sorry, can't help you feel better, I only went $6999 over budget.
Posted By: CV Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 07:50 PM
Who even makes a budget beforehand?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: You are very first post.... - 02/20/10 11:08 PM
yeah, setting a budget is like setting yourself up for failure.
Posted By: davekro Re: You're very first post.... - 02/20/10 11:12 PM
Hey Dave! Good to see you again!

Thanks Tom. Stewie is 'the man'! My favorite line of his is: (whispered very slowly) "... ANYWHERE!" From the ski race episode he lost. His payment was to be giving Brian to the guy. He told the guy: "If you peanut butter anywhere on your body, he will lick it off." "... ANYWHERE!" wink, wink
Posted By: davekro Re: You're very first post.... - 02/20/10 11:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Dave! Welcome back! Please stay awhile.

Ken,
Good to hear your smiling fingers. Congratulations on your new baby. When I was at your place to listen to your speakers, your wife was 'very close'. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: davekro Re: You're very first post.... - 02/20/10 11:21 PM
Well that's all fine and good, but Dave we've moved on if you haven't noticed. Now tell us, what blender do you have?

Micah,
I am just newly back. That's a bit personal so fast don't ya think? At least buy me a drink to maybe loosen me up a bit. ;\)
Posted By: davekro Re: You're very first post.... - 02/20/10 11:31 PM
Hey, it is nice to see you back around these parts. We both showed up at about the same time. You have some catching up to do now that I have twice as many posts as you.

So yes, start with kitchen appliances.

Chris,
Geese, always measurin'. Yeh, well I got two M80's more than you, dude. Thanks for the welcome back. My time suck has been reading political blogs (to keep my blood pressure high). ;\)

OK, OK, I can no longer take the pier pressure. We have two Osterizer's and a Jack La Lanne Power Juice.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: You're very first post.... - 02/21/10 12:07 AM
Geez, it's like blender geek central around here.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: You're very first post.... - 02/21/10 12:10 AM
 Originally Posted By: davekro
Thanks Tom.

No problem, Bill! \:\)
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 02/21/10 02:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Geez, it's like blender geek central around here.

Spoken like a man without a really cool blender. It's ok, maybe one day you too will know the joy that is blending... professionally. ;\)
Posted By: davekro Re: You're very first post.... - 02/21/10 11:00 PM

Thanks Tom. Stewie is 'the man'!

Mark,
Many apologies Mr Woodman. I got confused (I do that a lot) by the 'Tom' in your signature. I hope your four legged is going well. Oh you and your family too. \:\)
Posted By: davekro Re: You're very first post.... - 02/21/10 11:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: davekro

I hope your four legged is going well.

"...is DOING well." See, told you I was confused.
Posted By: CV Re: Your very first post.... - 02/22/10 12:09 AM
First posts are embarrassing:

Originally Posted By: CV
I'm sure this question gets asked all of the time, but I figured I'd ask to get the freshest responses possible. I just purchased the Millennia M80 v2 floorstanding speakers, and I plan to, over time, purchase more Axiom speakers until it's basically the Epic 80 - 500 system. I figured I'd put off getting a new receiver until after all of the new speakers, since that gives manufacturers time to start putting in HDMI 1.3 connections, allowing the new sound standards for HD DVD and Blu-ray to be passed on digitally (BTW, I have the Toshiba HD-A1--how much is that going to limit my sound quality?). However, the sound quality with the M80 v2s was less of a jump from the Polk Audio bookshelves I have than I was anticipating. I emailed Axiom to see if they thought my receiver was the limiting factor, and they did. It's a Sony DA3ES receiver, which outputs 100 watts @ 8 ohms. It would be nice to get more performance out of these speakers sooner rather than later, so my purchase feels justified. I was thinking of getting separates, and I was thinking Outlaw Audio because the reviews seem solid, and I'm a fan of the direct-to-consumer business model.

Soooo... I was thinking of picking up two of their monoblock amps to start, to power the M80s. Do you think using the preamp outs on the Sony receiver along with the Outlaw monoblock amps would give me at least some of the boost in performance I'm looking for, or do you think the Sony receiver isn't even up to doing preamplification duties? In addition to Outlaw Audio, the expert at Axiom also recommended Denon, Harman Kardon, NAD, NewCastle and B&K. Would a receiver by any of these brands serve my needs, or am I right by getting separates, albeit at a much slower rate, since I'm not as rich as I think I deserve to be? It seems separates offers the most flexibility, and I like the idea of only having to upgrade a preamp/processor later. And if I get the monoblocks, it means I can output at 4 ohms to the M80s, and 8 ohms to the others. Or are there multi-channel amplifiers with different impedance settings for each channel? I'm kind of new to high-end audio, so I'm still trying to pick up on everything. Please feed me healthy, easily digestible advice. Thank you for your time, everyone!

C.V.

Not that I know much more at this point, but still.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Your very first post.... - 02/22/10 12:15 AM
Mmmmmm, taste the freshness in that post!

Dave, no problem at all...I'm just teasing. Unfortunately, Gus is no longer with us... \:\(
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Your very first post.... - 02/22/10 12:19 AM
I saw what you did there, CV, and I approve!
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Your very first post.... - 02/22/10 12:23 AM
You're right, using the full "Millenia M80 v2 floorstanding speakers" is quite embarassing...
Posted By: CV Re: Your very first post.... - 02/22/10 12:24 AM
Posted By: Micah Re: Your very first post.... - 02/23/10 02:11 AM
Well I readily admit that I've learned a good 75% of my total HT knowledge from this site alone. And believe me when I tell you that I researched HT exhaustively for years and years, even when I didn't have the money to spend on any of the stuff I researched, because high end audio has always truely fascinated me so much. The difference between all those years and the last year and 3 months is, I was never a part of a forum like this before. And jumping into a place like this with both feet and asking/inquiring/stating anything and everything that comes to your mind... well it's invaluable as far as learning is concerned. Go ahead, make a fool of yourself.... I have (do you remember my solving the age old problem of gravity... case and point), there's no better way to uncover real knowledge as far as I'm concerned.

And no, lurking around in the wood work for a year and a half before you make your very first post isn't going to do THAT much for your knowledge base. It may help some, but it's like sitting around listening to a couple of truely brilliant philosophers hashing out theories for hours a day, day in and day out for as long as you could stand doing so. Sure you'll learn a thing or two, but not nearly as much as you'd learn if you had the opportunity to jump right in there with them and let forth everything you know (or thought you knew) so that they could correct any ignorances you may have, plus give you the opportunity to really pick their minds for things that to them may seem elementary, but would clear up things that have baffled you for the better part of your life. Participation is huge.

We all have to start somewhere. There is still many more times as many things that I don't know then what I do know... but I can't express how much better off I am at this point than I was on 11/16 of 2008. Even thought I thought I was REALLY on top of everything back then. One example of the sort of knowledge I've gained from this site... when I first came here I was interested in stuff like finding out which of those ultra premium wires you read about in audio magazines were really, truely the very best at giving your system the biggest advantage over your neighbor's MonsterCable set-up... now I know that even worrying about such things is as big a sign of ignorance as it gets.

I must say though, the best, most insightful 'first post' I've read so far in 9 pages has been...

That man has wisdom beyond his years! \:D
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Your very first post.... - 02/23/10 05:15 AM
Well I readily admit that I've learned a good 75% of my total HT knowledge from this site alone.

Hey, me too!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Your very first post.... - 02/23/10 09:49 PM
Me Three.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Your very first post.... - 02/23/10 10:06 PM
Me four. Can't disagree with Jay, he might Keeeel Me!!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Your very first post.... - 02/23/10 10:39 PM
EEnnnfidellll!!!
Posted By: CV Re: You're very first post.... - 02/28/10 08:11 PM
Actually, got the Vita-Mix Professional Series CIA (Model 1709). It's the basis for the 5200, but a restaurant-grade finish, and a $50 savings for being the no-nonsense version. (Sort of like Onkyo Pro vs. Integra.)

I saw the 5200 being demoed at Costco, and I thought of you. I think it was $394.99 or around there. So you basically paid that much but got a restaurant-grade finish? How much difference does the finish actually make? Just curious.
Posted By: Micah Re: You're very first post.... - 03/03/10 01:14 AM
$394.99??? I paid $650 way back when I got my 5000 series... They've come down that much?

So much for passing it down to my son as an heirloom! \:\(
Posted By: CV Re: Your very first post.... - 07/28/10 06:48 AM

Well, my mom got a Vitamix 5200 blender today. I told her she should get the professional version like you did, but she didn't listen. I'm going to have to try it out.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Your very first post.... - 07/28/10 01:50 PM
It looks a lot like mine. To put it in terms people here may understand. The one I have is an Integra, and her's in an Onkyo. Same thing inside, but different labels on the front. Her's even has the new, BPA-free container, and the new Swedish motor from the Pro series. Just not in the brushed stainless finish.
Posted By: Riker Re: You are very first post.... - 07/28/10 05:24 PM
My first post.. man it was long one ! Back in 06

Since then, I have added 2 QS8s and an EP500. I still have the Veritas, but not for long. They are for sale and a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagio are on the way.
Also, last year I outfitted my cousin with a full Epic 80 / 500 system. He loves it of course :-)

Oh.. I also have the Vita-Mix Professional blender and I love it. Got it about 4 years ago.
Hello everyone,

Just registered a few minutes ago. The main reason for doing so was to engage in discussions with some actual users of Axiom products and services, not just base my opinions on reviews and resellers. I figured the best persons to ask are those with the products in their homes.

I have a decent HT system now that I also use for 2 channel stereo listening. My system does a good job at movies but I find my main speakers lacking in bass output in stereo mode. I know that my room is to blame for some the perceived bass output or lack thereof, I am currently trying to address that. I did manage to get more out of my speakers by spending many hours, and a few beers :-), positioning them around my listening area. But I still feel there is some bottom end lacking to round out the overall sound. Of course, when I engage the subwoofer I get plenty of bass and it does sound good, but it is not as natural and I would like to own speakers that can stand on their own for music and still perform well in HT mode.

My current system is as follows:

Anthem AVM20 processor
Anthem MCA20 2 channel amplifer feeding mains
Adcom GFA7400 5 channel amplifier
Cambridge Audio Azur 540D DVD player
Rega Planar 3 TT, Rega Super Elyse on upgraded RB300 tonearm
Energy Veritas 2.3s for mains (bi-wired)
Energy Veritas 2.0c centre
Energy Pro.5s surround
Energy ES-10 Subwoofer
Kimber Kable for fronts / center
Monster HP XP for the rest

By all accounts, the Veritas 2.3s are supposed to have more than decent bass output but I just can't hear it. I have read review after reviews stating so, Energy assure me they have very good bass output etc..The dual 6.5inch drivers don't seem to be up to the task. I have addressed some room issues with absorbtion etc.. I have moved the speakers around for hours and ended up with "more" bass but just not what I am looking for.

They are extremely good with highs and mids and I would not want to lose that aspect, they excell in that area, but the overall sound is thin as opposed to full. Some people describe the sound as tight, fast, accurate and yes I agree that they are, but at the end of the day, the bass is still not there.
Love the centre channel, not happy about the mains. Looking for a replacement.

Really wondering how the M80s fair in comparison, they also have dual 6.5in drivers which makes me a bit leary about their bass performance. Like I said, everything I have read about my 2.3s says they have great bass, maybe in their listening room but not in my basement they don't.

I have also auditionned the Klipsch REF82, which sounded pretty good, except for the mid range, that was a bit lacking, but the bass was decent. The 82s are not even in the same timezone as the REF83s, which I have not heard yet but would really like to. They have 3 X 8inch drivers plus tweater. But the REF83s are also $3,500, the same price I paid for my Veritas 2.3s.

I look forward to any comments, opinions, ideas etc..

Thank you all,

Stephane
Posted By: Micah Re: You are very first post.... - 07/29/10 02:08 AM
Nice, better late than never right.

wink
Posted By: JohnK Re: You are very first post.... - 07/29/10 02:13 AM
That's what I thought you meant, Micah.
© Axiom Message Boards