Axiom Home Page
I'm not sure if this is even possible but it seems that my receiver doesn't sound as loud as it used to. I have an Onkyo 805 that's about 4 or 5 years old. I haven't changed speakers. I also haven't done any tests so this is just based on what I feel. Sorry to post this stupid question but I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever experienced this.

Thanks,
Chester
Hi Chester,

Have you confirmed that all of the main channels are operating at similar output? Try the Dolby Digital pink-noise setup signal that rotates from channel to channel and make sure they are at roughly the same output levels.

Perhaps one of the channels has become intermittent or you might have inadvertently changed one of the level settings for one or more channels. It's possible that one of your front channels may have cut out totally.

In a correctly operating solid-state amplifier, it would be most unusual for it to "lose power" over time. This can happen with tube gear as it ages, but not transistor equipment.

Regards,
Thanks, Alan. Great info! I will definitely check that tonight when I get home.
[joke] Maybe you've been listening too loud and you've lost hearing over time? [/joke]

snazzed
Check the speaker wiring too. It's possible the exposed copper wiring has become stiff and has started to fray away.
That's unlikely to be the issue. If distortion were a problem, maybe, but it's not going to get softer because the last inch of the wire is a smaller diameter.
A reciever losing power would be about as weird as a pigeon with the face of a Saint Bernard!

\:o
My lab-gull would be shocked as well
 Originally Posted By: lerock
I'm not sure if this is even possible but it seems that my receiver doesn't sound as loud as it used to. I have an Onkyo 805 that's about 4 or 5 years old. I haven't changed speakers. I also haven't done any tests so this is just based on what I feel. Sorry to post this stupid question but I'm just curious to know if anyone has ever experienced this.

Thanks,
Chester

There are days that my system has to be turned up a little more to get the same perceived level of sound that I attribute to my allergies and head congestion. Some days I just don't hear as clearly.
 Originally Posted By: Micah
A reciever losing power would be about as weird as a pigeon with the face of a Saint Bernard!

\:o

That's an interesting comment. Wonder how you would do on an inkblot test?
maybe your getting older and your ears are less sensative...
 Originally Posted By: Redo
My lab-gull would be shocked as well

And all along I just thought that was a bird dog.
Maybe he is getting younger and He is craving louder and louder music?
What music or movie sources are you using? Anything different? Some can sound louder than others resulting in different volume level needed.
Aren't we all losing our hearing slowly? I didn't get a chance to test more last night but I guess it's probably due to the source. I'm just basing it on satellite so the sound level must vary quite a bit.
Yeah, I'd suggest you play an album you are familiar with.
HUH? I CAN'T READ YOU. PLEASE TYPE A LITTLE LOUDER, SONNY.
© Axiom Message Boards