Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/16/10 04:38 AM
June 1.

I have been waiting to hear this one.
Posted By: CV Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/16/10 04:59 AM
I watched the movie once, I think when someone rented it. I haven't watched the full movie since getting the DVD. I only really bought it to stress test my subwoofers. I will probably end up with the Blu-ray for the same reason, when it gets cheap enough. Jurassic Park on Blu-ray would be nice, too.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/16/10 05:08 AM
I had the DVD. I there are four maybe 5 scenes that I liked to listen to.

1. The Jeep getting spit out of the hole.
2. The jet crash.
3. The ferry sinking (propellers)
4. The battle near the farm house (jet fly over launching missiles)
5. the wind chimes before and the electromagnetic storm

Sounds I don't like: Dakota Fanning screaming
Posted By: CV Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/16/10 05:13 AM
I'm with you on Dakota Fanning.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/16/10 05:16 AM
Loved her in Coraline.
Posted By: Micah Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/16/10 07:13 AM
A movie I would like to listen to on my Axiom system is, 'The Thirtenth Warrior'. The movie itself isn't anything too remarkable... I mean its not bad or anything. But the reason I want to watch it now is because I watched it on my previous HT and there was one scene where they were standing in the rain, and it sounded so incredibly real, like I was standing outside in the middle of a straight downpour!

I'm really happy with the way my Axioms sound in my square room. Still, I can only imagine how much better they could sound in the basement of my old house. The set-up down there was perfect for HT.

I guess you really can't have your cake and eat it too eh? I had a fantastic location with subpar speakers. Now I have fantastic speakers in a subpar location. \:\(
Posted By: Anonymous Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/16/10 01:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: Lampshade

LOL
Posted By: Potatohead Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/16/10 09:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Jurassic Park on Blu-ray would be nice, too.

Yes.

Oh, yes.
Posted By: Argon Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/17/10 12:00 PM
I had the DVD. I there are four maybe 5 scenes that I liked to listen to.

1. The Jeep getting spit out of the hole.
2. The jet crash.
3. The ferry sinking (propellers)
4. The battle near the farm house (jet fly over launching missiles)
5. the wind chimes before and the electromagnetic storm

Interesting list of favorite sounds - given that you don't have and don't desire a sub?

Interesting list of sounds given that you don't have and don't desire a sub?
Posted By: alan Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/17/10 01:42 PM
Hi,

I don't remember the jeep being spit out of the hole. I have the DVD but I haven't watched it for a couple of years. Must check out the jeep scene. It's an excellent soundtrack.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: Micah Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/17/10 02:52 PM
Unfortunately my only experience watching this movie was a pirated copy on my old HT system. For the most part I shy away from watching pirated copies because the sound quality is rarely even worth listening to.

By the remarks listed here I suppose I should rent it (well heck I might even be able to buy a used copy of t down at Hastings for $1.99) and watch W.O.W. in all it's glory. \:\)
Posted By: Lampshade Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/17/10 03:32 PM
Argon,
even without a sub, they are impressive scenes. I know I am missing stuff though. I recently watched the Ratatouille lightning strike scene on a system with an Ep500 and it was an experience for sure.
Posted By: Argon Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/17/10 04:48 PM
Argon,
even without a sub, they are impressive scenes. I know I am missing stuff though. I recently watched the Ratatouille lightning strike scene on a system with an Ep500 and it was an experience for sure.

Agreed - on the 60s. I recently went without sub for a while. After I finally realized that I should set the 60s to Large - you get substantial bass on all but the lowest.
Posted By: 2packer Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/17/10 11:27 PM
That movie was one of the first movies I watched once I got my sub. When the machines or whatever they are called get ready to squeak or talk or whatever they do I could feel the rouble like a train coming. Very cool.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 05/18/10 01:43 AM
I think somebody with multiple subs should do the plane crash scene and report back. Dual 800s?
Posted By: Lampshade Re: War of the Worlds Blu Ray - 06/03/10 03:01 AM
I'm watching the movie right now. It sounds really good. I can't give a comparison to the DVD because it has been too long since I watched it and I do not have the same speakers hooked up as I did before.
© Axiom Message Boards