Axiom Home Page
Posted By: DreamTheater Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/04/10 01:48 AM
So I have had my trusty VP150, M60s, and QS8s from back in the day (was it 2004?) They are the original Ti models, not the V2s. My question is has anybody tried both with the same amp, and is their an audible difference? Im just curious about hearing peoples opinions on that. My amp is a Marantz SR7400 (using Oppo BDP-83 to achieve lossless though, through those trusty analogs ;))
Posted By: jakewash Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/04/10 06:31 AM
2004 was about when the v2 designation was in the works IIRC, so you might already have many of the newer components and not even know it. I am willing to bet unless the speakers in question are A/B'd you would never know there was a difference. I happened to have A/B'd my M22Ti's with M22v2's and the difference was extremely subtle, only noticeable with said A/B comparison.
Posted By: Micah Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/04/10 01:11 PM
The only real difference I can think of is that the V2's totally kick Ninja ass all over your crumby Ti's... that's all. ;\)

No seriously though where do you live, Conneticut? So just south of Murph right? Does Murph have M60's? I was thinking so, but I might me wrong. Anyhow, even if he doesn't I'm sure he would be more than happy to buy a pair, pack them into his mini-van (not that I know what he drives either, but he seems like a mini-van kind of guy to me. But even if he doesn't have a mini-van, I'm sure he wouldn't mind picking one up for the trip), and head down to your place for an evening of fabulous A/B testing, beer, and perhaps a lap dance (I don't know that he employs any strippers, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind picking a couple of them up on his way down).

So, in summary.... I really don't know much about Murph other than he lives north of you, and is very flexible. \:\)
I must meet Murph
Posted By: radtek2 Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/04/10 08:32 PM
I have wondered the same thing, I am due to receive the new VP180 shortly and was told by Jean-Claude that they would match up great with my M80s Tis. So there cannot be that much difference. I purchased my M80s in Sept 2004 and like Jay mentioned a lot of the changes may well be in the M80s I have now.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/04/10 11:10 PM
Yeah, I suspect that by September 2004, they're pretty much v2s. I don't remember when I got my v2s, but the change was so recent that my boxes still say ti.
Posted By: DreamTheater Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 12:30 AM
The back under the binding posts says Ti, did some V2s ship with that label still on?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 12:42 AM
I bought mine in October/November 2004 and they're Ti's...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 12:54 AM
I think I got mine December 2004. I could be wrong. It might have been 2006.
Posted By: DreamTheater Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 02:18 AM
Just out of curiosity what does Ti stand for?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 02:30 AM
Got me. My guess is titanium, for the tweeter material, but I really don't know.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 02:30 AM
Rad, Happy Birthday! Yes, my understanding is that the crossover change(to the Ti, "Titanium" model)that Alan has mentioned took place before you got yours.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 03:22 AM
Happy birthday Rad!

IIRC, the very original Ti's only lasted a short time, a year or so and the version change came about several years later as enough of the speaker lineup had under gone changes, minimal ones, but enough that Ian felt it appropriate to start the v2 designation.
Posted By: radtek2 Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 06:53 AM
Hey thanks for the birthday greets :)and next month going to try this retirement thing see what its all about.
Posted By: alan Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 04:32 PM
Hi all,

Yes, the original "ti" was indeed short for titanium, and that earlier tweeter was in fact a titanium/aluminum composite dome. Titanium is quite brittle and the aluminum was added for strength.

The latest tweeter in the M22s is pure titanium, which is lighter than the titanium/aluminum composite, and when I A/B'd the latest version with my 2002 M22 ti's, the differences are subtle, as Jay pointed out, but audible. The latest version seems smoother on brasses, vocals, sax and horns, with greater spaciousness and a deeper soundfield than the already excellaent soundstage of the "old" ti's.

It's only audible on really excellent recordings--big orchestral/choral works reveal the soundstage differences best. On a lot of other music, the two models are very close, with the added smoothness noted above.

In terms of on-going changes to the M22s and other models, I'd call them "subtle refinements", the only exception being the old M80ti, whose performance was much smoother after modifications to the crossover added as an ongoing production change in the summer/fall of 2003. It was still called a "ti" until 2005 when the "v2" designation was applied, along with numerous small mechanical changes to the binding posts.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: fredk Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 05:16 PM
This question, along with Bi-wiring/amping, comes up often enough that it should be made a sticky topic.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 08:11 PM
I was just thinking the same thing \:\)
Posted By: alan Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 09:29 PM
I have that option in the drop-down menu for "Manage Topics". But what happens when you make the topic "sticky"?

Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 10:01 PM
It sticks at the top of the forum. The only current examples are Peter's google search thread, which doesn't work any more, and the Auditioning Axioms in your Area thread.
Posted By: fredk Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/05/10 10:07 PM
Say, we should have a 'sticky thread day', you know, where everyone gets that option for a day. Could be fun.
Posted By: Micah Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 02:29 AM
So Alan, the question must now be... Will the rest of the Axiom line-up switch over to the pure ti-dome tweets now? Or is it only being incorporated into the M22's for some reason?

It seems to me that all of Axioms speakers have always had the same parts. Which understandably keeps production costs down. So it would only make sense to me. For instance, SRoode reported his VP180 sounding just a tad smoother on the top as compared to his M80's... Do the VP180's have the pure ti-domed tweeters?

Inquiring minds want to know. ;\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 02:53 AM
Oh, I think the pure ti tweeter change was in the v2s.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 03:24 AM
Ken, I just tried the search engine and it seems to work ok. I think some parts of the forum just don't get indexed by Google. This may be the culprit: http://www.axiomaudio.com/robots.txt
This file tells Google's web spider not to crawl into the /boards section. Funny that some of it is indexed despite this. Huh.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 03:58 AM
Heh... that would probably do it!
Posted By: alan Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 12:49 PM
Hi Micah,

Yes, the VP180 has the new titanium-dome tweeters, and it will be incorporated into all the models, if it hasn't been already.

Ken: there have been enhancements to the previous titanium dome. Ian can explain it in detail.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: alan Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 12:52 PM
Ken, thanks for the "sticky" explanation. I'll mull that over as to whether my previous post warrants a sticky. Heaven knows, we've all answered the "ti" "v2" question many times, in greater or lesser detail, so a sticky may be justified.

Alan
Posted By: Wid Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 01:57 PM

Oh yeah, make it a sticky.
Posted By: fredk Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 03:03 PM
Alan. I'm sure if you consolidate the info from the last couple of times this question was asked it will be a worthy sticky.
Posted By: fredk Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 03:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: alan
Hi Micah,

Yes, the VP180 has the new titanium-dome tweeters, and it will be incorporated into all the models, if it hasn't been already.

Ken: there have been enhancements to the previous titanium dome. Ian can explain it in detail.

Regards,
Alan

Alan. Is the TI tweeter a drop in replacement or are there crossover changes as well? ::eyes M80s::
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 03:19 PM
What about an item in the Articles page instead. Then when someone brings the topic up, they can be directed to the article.
Posted By: fredk Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 03:31 PM
A sticky is more up front and more likely to be read before the question is asked.
Posted By: Micah Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 04:25 PM
We could make a sticky 'FAQ' up top. Which would include the Ti vs V2 question. The M80 vs M60 question. The M80 vs M22 + sub question. The QS4 vs QS8 question. The 'what speaker wire should I use... Monster Cables, or Bose Premium Cable' question. The 'which reciever should I buy to push my M80's' question. The 'do I need separate amps' question. The 'are FredK and JohnK siamese twins' question. The 'what subwoofer did you end up with Micah' question. And... well I think Grunt should also throw up his ButtKicker endorsement, as I'm sure he's getting carple tunnel syndrom from typing that out so many times on here. \:\)

Seriously though, an 'FAQ' would be helpfull in every forum. Since there are bound to be other lazy guys like me who don't even look through any of the other forums, and only come in 'Home Theater' to chat. I know I for one have missed out on many an explanation of things in the 'Water Cooler' and other forums.
Posted By: Micah Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 04:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Oh, I think the pure ti tweeter change was in the v2s.

Ah ha, seems as though this is not the case. Which makes me wonder, once the new tweeter has made its way into the rest of the line-up, I wonder if a 'V3' designation is in the works?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 04:28 PM
I think the "which speaker wire should I buy" would not be a good choice for Axiom to make a sticky--that would be an almost official endorsement of another company's product.
Posted By: Wid Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 04:33 PM
I think the "which speaker wire should I buy" would not be a good choice for Axiom to make a sticky--that would be an almost official endorsement of another company's product.

Not if they recommend their own.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 04:37 PM
Yeah, but that would also be somewhat disingenuous.
Posted By: Micah Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 04:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: wid

Not if they recommend their own.

Over Monster Cable??? I don't think that's even aloud is it? I'm pretty sure the Genieva Convention specifically prohibits such blasphemy.
Posted By: fredk Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 06:11 PM
I'm sure its possible to discuss cables without recommending a specific brand, or even better, giving a list of links to excellent suppliers of audio cable.
Posted By: Micah Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 06:50 PM
Tell that to the Nazi's!
Posted By: 2packer Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 08:16 PM
since this is a frequently asked question, how about putting it there? Then again I usually never look at faq spots on sites and I'm guessing others don't either.
Posted By: alan Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 08:20 PM
2packer,

That's my gut feeling about FAQ as well. I never look at FAQ spots either. I don't think that's the right place to put it. Maybe I'll just keep answering the question again and again and again. It gives my life meaning. . .

Alan
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 08:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Hi Micah,

Regards,
Alan

Alan. Is the TI tweeter a drop in replacement or are there crossover changes as well? ::eyes M80s::

Alan, I am also curious as to whether or not the new tweeter is drop in replaceable or whether y'all have made changes to the cross-over.

So, what's the answer?
Posted By: alan Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 08:56 PM
2x6,

The new tweeter is not drop-in replaceable because there are/were adjustments to the crossover(s), as you thought.

Alan
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 09:14 PM
Whenever someone asks about the cummulative changes made from the Ti to V2 versions just tell them to private message sirquak. ;\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 09:55 PM
Maybe I'll just keep answering the question again and again and again. It gives my life meaning. . .

When I first starting hanging out here and was more interested in helping people rather than telling jokes, I had a few things saved as a Word document that I could copy and paste to save time. I think Jack had one saved on setting up a system with an RS meter.

The only one I still use is "Yes, JP, I still think you're handsome" in response to a series of PM questions I receive from a certain individual on a thrice-weekly basis.
Posted By: Micah Re: Any difference between Tis and V2s - 06/06/10 10:34 PM
Personally, I like questions like these that continually get asked over and over. If not for them, hell my post count would only be like 80.
© Axiom Message Boards