Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki M22 bass sound... - 07/21/10 11:40 PM
Is it normal for me to fell the bass of the M22 only on the back of the room and more on the corners? Audissey is calibrating the M22 as a small speaker on 40HZ is it supposed to be this low? For what I hear from many post here in the forum, usually it is advised to set it on 80HZ. confused
Posted By: Pitbull24 Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/21/10 11:56 PM
I believe you're feeling some "room gains". I have my M22's in a 3.0 set up, and they're set to full range. I get a nice full sound from them
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/21/10 11:59 PM
Yes, it's just the room. The size and shape of the room can cause some of the lower frequencies to bunch up, per se. So, you may hear a difference in the output in different parts of the room. Normally we all try to calibrate to the sweet spot, or the main chair you're going to do most of your listening from.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/22/10 01:59 AM
Ichigo, in your particular room, with your speaker and listener positions, Audyssey measured the M22s to have adequate response as low as 40Hz, so they were set at that. You can manually set the crossover higher(lower isn't suggested)to take more of the load off of the M22s and put it on to the sub which can handle it better. For example, when I ran Audyssey, my M22s were set at 60Hz, but I later manually reset them to 80Hz.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/22/10 02:00 AM
I also agree it is your room, time for some bass traps/room treatments.

Also ensure you use multiple, at least 4, preferably 6 or the full 8, positions for Audyssey to take it's readings from.

I would say that 40hz is too low for the M22, although I did like mine when run 'full range'(I had a very poor sub at the time), but you can easily adjust the M22 crossover point up to a more natural 80 in the Denon's menu.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/22/10 02:06 AM
Also keep in mind there is a proper way of running Audyssey. For example, no room noise, proper mic setup, at least 6 positions tested, don't place the mic outside the speakers positions, etc... Also, room size and speaker placement make a huge difference in your results.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/22/10 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx71IOv2b8M

Check out this cool little experiment.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/22/10 03:43 PM
I will rerun Audissey again with different speaker location settings. I had already changed the crossover to 80Hz but I don't fell any difference. It just sounds the same to me.
Posted By: alan Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/22/10 05:08 PM
Hi Ichigo,

That's perfectly normal to not necessarily hear a difference between a crossover frequency of 40 Hz and 80 Hz for the M22. And although JohnK and I politely disagree on the virtues and limitations of Audyssey, may I suggest that you not become overly reliant on its calculations. Audyssey and similar systems may be hit or miss and tend to be error-prone.

The default crossover setting for the M22s that tends to work very well in most applications is 80 Hz. Using that allows the subwoofer to gradually take over the deep bass duties so the little woofer/mids in the M22 don't have to "work" as hard and so play more cleanly. Set the M22s to "Small".

Alan
Posted By: casey01 Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/22/10 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
Hi Ichigo,

That's perfectly normal to not necessarily hear a difference between a crossover frequency of 40 Hz and 80 Hz for the M22. And although JohnK and I politely disagree on the virtues and limitations of Audyssey, may I suggest that you not become overly reliant on its calculations. Audyssey and similar systems may be hit or miss and tend to be error-prone.

The default crossover setting for the M22s that tends to work very well in most applications is 80 Hz. Using that allows the subwoofer to gradually take over the deep bass duties so the little woofer/mids in the M22 don't have to "work" as hard and so play more cleanly. Set the M22s to "Small".

Alan

Over the years, I have tried several speakers of different sizes and configurations along with a number of crossover points, however, one common thread emerged from all my experimentation, in that, I found there was a "method to the madness" of the folks at THX when watching movies, that they chose to establish a standard of 80HZ as a crossover point. For most, it just seems to be the "right" setting and with that in mind, myself having both M22s AND M80s, I fully concur with Alan's comments.
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/23/10 01:16 AM
I learned so many things here on forum that I could ever imagined before. Thanks to you guys! I guess that waiting for my M22 to arrive would be better to rerun audissey since my old stereo speakers are not in tune with the Axioms!
Posted By: Lampshade Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/23/10 02:14 AM
Ichigo,
keep experimenting and try to have fun learning what your system can do. Pick out a few discs to use as reference. I know every sound in the Ratoille Blu Ray, every note when Celine Dion introduces her band and they play solos and I have a few others.
Posted By: Micah Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 04:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki
I learned so many things here on forum that I could ever imagined before. Thanks to you guys!

Ditto!!! I wish I would have stumbled upon this site a LONG time ago, it could have saved me even more money!

JohnK, Chris (ClubNeon), FredK and a few others could get together and create their own speaker company, or at least write a really awesome book on the fundamentals of audio... But until they figure that out for themselves I'll keep coming here and pick their brains for all its worth! laugh
Posted By: Ichigo_Kurosaki Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 05:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Micah
I learned so many things here on forum that I could ever imagined before. Thanks to you guys!

Ditto!!! I wish I would have stumbled upon this site a LONG time ago, it could have saved me even more money!

JohnK, Chris (ClubNeon), FredK and a few others could get together and create their own speaker company, or at least write a really awesome book on the fundamentals of audio... But until they figure that out for themselves I'll keep coming here and pick their brains for all its worth! laugh

We should enjoy whilst the advices are free! LOL
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 06:00 AM
I don't ever see myself discontinuing the free advice. It's just who I am, and how I've always been regardless of the field I'm advising in.

I've told my employer that someone needs to handle my billing for me, if they want to make money. Even the computer systems I assemble, I'd just charge cost if I'm not stopped.
Posted By: CV Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 06:01 AM
Did you say you have an Amazon.com wishlist or something?
Posted By: fredk Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 07:41 PM
I'm with the Neon dude. Besides, Dr. Toole already wrote the definitive book on audio and he's a LOT more knowledgeable than me.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 08:10 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
Did you say you have an Amazon.com wishlist or something?

I do, but won't post it here.

When I brought it up before, I was just saying that I've had a couple people ask if they can get me something after an extended number of PMs, or even phone calls.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 08:31 PM

Micah, this has already been done by several people. To name a few, Dr. Floyd E. Toole basically wrote the book on the fundamentals of audio reproduction and psychoacoustics. Dr. Toole has written several books and are available. Dr. Sean Olive is also doing some very good work these days.

Here is Dr. Olive "free" blog that is available online.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/
Posted By: Micah Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 09:44 PM
I think audio is a big enough subject to support a whole two books on the matter. wink
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 10:50 PM
I think audio is a big enough subject to support a whole two books on the matter. wink

There are plenty of books on audio, from a lot of different perspectives both subjective and objective. What makes Toole's work unique is the method, resources and scholarly sources his books are based off of.
Posted By: Micah Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/24/10 11:44 PM
Sorry, typo... that was supposed to say a whole new book on the matter. wink
Posted By: Murph Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/26/10 02:00 PM

Tell that to certain organized religions!! wink

Joke only, I really don't want to go down that road. smile
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: M22 bass sound... - 07/26/10 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph

Tell that to certain organized religions!! wink

Joke only, I really down want to go down that road. smile

Oh, I know Micah would appreciate that joke and so do I. wink
© Axiom Message Boards