Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Seekinganswers M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 12:09 AM
I have decided to move my future home theater setup in the bedroom. The room's dimensions are probably 14'x 14'x 10'. I realized I won't be able to play my movies very loud most of the time because my roommate and I work the same shifts.

The biggest consideration for me at this time is money. I know I will be happy with the M22s but I don't want to have any regrets if I get the VP100 and the QS4s instead of the VP150 and QS8s. The price difference is around close to $300 dollars. In the bigger scheme of things, $300 is not a lot of money, but then again it is.

I am really interested in hearing what some of the veterans have to say and those who have prior experience with the VP100 and QS4s. I either want to be pushed over the edge or save the money.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 12:32 AM
Are you looking at subs?

If you're not looking to be cranking the volume all the time, I think you'll do well with the QS4s and VP100. I haven't personally heard either, but I've "heard" good things!
Posted By: Seekinganswers Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 12:36 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention, I will be pairing these speakers up with PB12-NSD and I am currently running an Onkyo 606.
Posted By: Micah Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 01:36 AM
Forgetting to tell us that you're pairing these with a sub puts lives in danger. I'm in the business of saving lives, I eat Marines for breakfast! You wouldn't like me when I'm angry, and you can't handle the TRUTH!!! I have successfully privatized world peace, and along the way I...

.... God I'm terribly sorry, I've been watching too many movies lately. shocked
Posted By: Scamp Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 01:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Micah

.... God I'm terribly sorry, I've been watching too many movies lately. shocked

When I get a sub, I shall name her The Red October. I will also move to Montana to raise rabbits.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 01:50 AM
Ice bunnies?
Posted By: Scamp Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 01:57 AM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Ice bunnies?

Not Ice bunnies, a new breed of nearly silent rabbits.

With fricking lasers on their heads, if that's not too much to ask for.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 02:13 AM
It sounds to me that you will probably be listening to your system at modest levels, since you are using it in a bedroom environment. Therefore, I'm sure you'd be fine with the VP100 and QS4 combo...if however, you want to future proof a little, I would upgrade the Q's to the 8's before I would consider moving up to the VP150 over the VP100. This is based on what I've read on the forums, not personal listening btw.
Posted By: fredk Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 02:21 AM
Quote:
It sounds to me that you will probably be listening to your system at modest levels, since you are using it in a bedroom environment.

That and he won't want to piss off his stealth bunnies. eek
Posted By: JohnK Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 02:27 AM
Micah, I think that you're the new leader in the aggressive derailing category.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 03:06 AM
I agree with Adrian. I have both the VP100 and the QS4s, and I think I'm generally more pleased with the VP100. Hopefully soon I'll be replacing the 4s with 8s.
Posted By: Seekinganswers Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 03:53 AM
I have never been so indecisive about planning a purchase as I have been with axiom speakers. I think I have figured out a way to make purchasing the QS8s and the VP150 more viable by splitting my purchase in two. The first purchase will be the M22s with stands and sub. When I get enough money I will finish up my system with the QS8s and VP150.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 03:58 AM
That always makes sense to me.
Posted By: grunt Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 04:31 AM
If you plan on running a subwoofer all the time with your system I would seriously consider buying 3 M2 speakers for L/C/R. I recently got a pair to audition as wide speakers and found that when crossed over with my subwoofer both the M2s and M22s sounded the same. I could not tell them apart in an A/B comparison even though I knew which one I was hearing.

Another option would be to get an M2 as a center and get M22s for the mains.

If you must have a horizontal center then get the VP100. I don’t think the VP150 will make any difference in that size room and when you do move to a bigger room that really needs a larger center then it will also likely need larger L/R mains, meaning tower mains with a V180 center to match. Also I’ve used a M22 as a center with my M80s and preferred it to the VP150 because IMO it sounded more similar.

At least a M22 or M2 center can be pressed into another roll when you upgrade whereas a VP100 or VP150 would only really be good as a single rear speaker in a 6.1 configuration which I have tried and found didn’t work very well. With M22s and/or M2s as mains/center when you upgrade you could just buy one matching speaker and move them to the wide and rear positions or.

To recap my choice in order based on what you’ve said so far would be:

1. 3xM2s + 2xQS8s
2. 2xM22s + 1xM2 + 2xQS8s
3. 3xM22x + 2xQS8s
4. 2xM2s + 1xVP100 + 2xQS8s.
5. 2xM22s + 1xVP100 + 2xQS8s.

Cheers,
Dean

Posted By: JohnK Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 05:19 AM
Seek, I'd also suggest Dean's setup 2., when your budget permits. At this point, since your budget doesn't permit, I'd suggest going with the M22s and QS8s first, then later the sub and center. Without surrounds you really don't have an HT setup, while you can use a "phantom" center formed by the M22s. Also, I found the M22s to have adequate bass for many uses, although adding a good sub is highly desirable.
Posted By: grunt Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 05:39 AM
Missed one thing. Save yourself some money and either make your own stands for the bookshelf speakers or go someplace like Pier1 and buy something inexpensive.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 06:46 AM
Yes, when the budget is a factor, speaker stands should have a pretty low priority in the allocation of the money. Consider temporary expedients such as boxes, stacks of magazines, etc., if necessary.
Posted By: Micah Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 08:39 AM
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Micah, I think that you're the new leader in the aggressive derailing category.

Who did I dethrone?

Let me just say in my defense that I only derail a thread when there is a cute, fuzzy animal of some sort on the tracks up ahead.

What can I say, I'm a humanitarian.
Posted By: Seekinganswers Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 04:03 PM
This has really gotten me interested in using an M22 as a center channel. Would it work just as well if I mounted it vertically above the TV? The only question I have is the distance of the LCR speakers. The L and R will be close to a feet from the wall while I plan on mounting the center above the TV. I really want to mount all three M22s but I do not want wall-mounted speakers, per se. Is that possible?

Thanks for changing my mind regarding the speaker stands. Getting a cheap one or building one myself for the time being will free up some of the budget to go with the QS8s and, if not the M22 for a center, maybe the VP150. I am going to look on youtube now to see if I can find videos on making speaker stands.
Posted By: Yes sir44 Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 04:45 PM
Hi,

That's exactly the set I bought 2 months ago, I'm extremely satisfied with it.

The M22 and the VP100 are really amazing, it's OK for the QS4 except a little lack of power for surrond in some case, I would be probably better with the QS8.

I bought a little sub for $120(Omage BBD-10)last week who did a very good job. Before that the M22 give enough base for music, not for movie.

My room size is 20X10X8 and i'm sitting 12 feet from the M22 and VP100.

Hope this information could help you
Posted By: grunt Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 05:03 PM
Yes you can mount an M22 above your TV. I did it with my M80 center in my apartment: smile

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=219121#Post219121

Consider mounting it upside down to keep the tweeter closer to the level of the tweeters on the mains. I actually liked having it above the TV since that combined with the mains a a slightly lower level created a taller “wall-of-sound” coming from the front. Much more movie-theater-like IMO.

Although 3 matching M22s would be the ideal I’m not kidding when I say that I couldn’t tell the difference between the M22s and the M2s when crossed over with my sub at 80Hz. So you might want to think about your upgrade path if should you move to a larger room and plan to stay with Axioms. IMO the M22 would be best if you eventually plan to re-task them as stand alone speakers in another room. Though the lack deep bass they will work for music that’s not bass heavy. OTOH if you plan to re-task your front three to other positions in your HT then M22s would IMO be overkill either as wide, height or rear speakers. Just something to think about.

Cheers,
Dean
Posted By: Seekinganswers Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 06:53 PM
Dean,

Thanks so far for all the quality advice. Seeing you mount that beast of an M80 on the wall lets me know what I can do with smaller axiom speakers. Do the speakers come with brackets already to install on the wall?

I am a bit concerned with the layout of my room. I currently am watching movies on a bed and mattress of about 26" high. I usually sit up when I watch movies. I have a 46" TV sitting on a 16" TV stand and when I sit in bed I am usually eye level to the top of the TV. The thing that concerns me is I am running two Polk Monitor 60s and my ears are way above the top of the speakers. I know its not ideal but it is the best I can do to accommodate a home theater in my bedroom. Is the height effecting the sound much? Considering I have room to move my TV up to eye level, I would be able to fit an M3 vertically on the stand as my center channel, so all is not so bad. What are your thoughts?

I have also evaluated the benefits of both the M3 and M22 as center channels. I don't think I would be losing out on much going with M3 and it would also fit very nicely under my TV when the TV is mounted.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 06:58 PM
The M22s don't come with brackets, but you can get the Full Metal Brackets from Axiom to do it with. They do have standard mounts (like tripod screws) on the back, so you aren't stuck with Axiom's bracket.
Posted By: grunt Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 07:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Seekinganswers

Thanks so far for all the quality advice. Seeing you mount that beast of an M80 on the wall lets me know what I can do with smaller axiom speakers. Do the speakers come with brackets already to install on the wall?

Note that my M80 in that picture is actually about 2-3 feet from the wall. It’s sitting on a frame built to hang the curtains. At a minimum I would place the M22s, M3s or M2s at least a few inches from the wall. The bracket Ken mentioned does accomplish that but so would putting up a shelf which would cost a lot less and might give you a little room for tweaking the speaker positions. However, I wouldn’t wall mount a speaker unless I had no other choice. When the speaker is free standing you have a lot more capability for tweaking (room permitting) the speaker positions which is key to getting the best sound out of your system. When I had my M22s set up in my bedroom and was also using my bed for seating I placed the M22s right up at the foot of the bed because it gave the best imaging compared to being closer to the wall the TV was against.

Quote:

I am a bit concerned with the layout of my room. I currently am watching movies on a bed and mattress of about 26" high. I usually sit up when I watch movies. I have a 46" TV sitting on a 16" TV stand and when I sit in bed I am usually eye level to the top of the TV.

Ideally you want the screen so that your eye level is about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen. I find that anywhere from 1/3 up to the bottom works fine for me. This both helps reduce eye/neck strain and also creates a more theater like, natural and impressive image (looks bigger).

Quote:

The thing that concerns me is I am running two Polk Monitor 60s and my ears are way above the top of the speakers. I know its not ideal but it is the best I can do to accommodate a home theater in my bedroom. Is the height effecting the sound much?

The height could be effecting the sound depending on the vertical dispersion characteristics of the speakers. Most speaker are designed to sit with the tweeters near ear level. Also with the sound field coming from below you it may not sound as enveloping or as natural especially if you can localize the sound as coming from below the screen. Having your center above the screen (as long as the mains and center aren’t to far apart vertically) can help pull the front soundstage up some giving you more a wall-of-sound vs a row of speakers.

I think you would benefit from moving your TV up both visually and if you can also elevate your speakers sonically.

Quote:

Considering I have room to move my TV up to eye level, I would be able to fit an M3 vertically on the stand as my center channel, so all is not so bad. What are your thoughts?

I have also evaluated the benefits of both the M3 and M22 as center channels. I don't think I would be losing out on much going with M3 and it would also fit very nicely under my TV when the TV is mounted.

I have never heard the M3 so I don’t know how well it matched sonically with the M2, M22, M60, and M80 speakers. It’s the one Axiom speaker designed to sound a little different than the others so for me I know I would never use it as a center for the other speakers because hearing any difference would drive me crazy. If I were to use an M3 center I would also use them as mains. IMO the M2 would be a better, actually perfect sonic match for the M22s if that’s what you are getting as mains. Someone else with real experience comparing the M22s and M3s may have a different opinion.

To recap based on what you are saying I would suggest the following:

2xM22 mains, 1xM2 center, and 2xQS8 surrounds.

Build your own stands for the M22s and M2. Note that M2 could still go above your TV if you built an “L” shaped stand at sits behind your TV with the short leg of the “L” resting on the top of your screen.

I would wall mount the QS8s with the included bracket unless you just can't get them positioned well in which case I would make either shelves or stands with a hole cut out in the bottom for the downward firing driver.

Elevate your TV to get your eye level closer to the bottom of the screen (at least below the halfway point). And elevate your speakers so that the tweeters are at or slightly above ear level.

Consider mounting your center speaker above the TV if you can’t get it elevated close to ear level below the TV. I really prefer my center speaker above my screen with the mains elevated so the tweeters are about half way up the screen. I find that the “wall-of-sound” created by elevating the center channel is much more engaging than having all the speakers in a row below the screen as long at the difference in height between the mains and center isn’t to great.

Note that a lot of the suggestions I’m making are “ideal” which isn’t necessary nor always the best for everyone which brings up another point that several of my suggestions are my personal preferences based on a lot of testing. Every room + speaker + listener combination is different so what is considered ideal by or preferable by some may not be what works best for you. Finding the best results with your own setup will only be found by tweaking, which is why I always advocate flexibility in speaker placement if at all possible.

Cheers,
Dean

Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 08:31 PM
Seekinganswers,

I have the exact same setup (M22's, VP100, and QS4's) as you described.

Seems like you're already set on the center.

I just wanted to chime in saying that while I am happy with my setup, you should definitely go for the QS8's.

Check out this review that I conducted some time ago, where I compared the QS4's vs QS8's: http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=190290#Post190290

Good luck with your decision!

Posted By: Seekinganswers Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 11:04 PM
Dean,

I must have gotten my speakers confused. I really meant the M2s that you recommended. Do you think having the verticle center on a 16" TV stand below my ear level will be a bad thing? I know you say you personally like the center above your TV.

Dan,

Great conparison and review. It really affirms what the M22s are capable of with a subwoofer.

I haven't completely made up my mind as to what center channel I am going with, but the M2 seems like the best candidate right now because of my listening position and room arrangements.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/05/10 11:50 PM
Yep, you'll be pleased with the M22's. Just a fantastic speaker :-)
Posted By: grunt Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/06/10 12:41 AM

I must have gotten my speakers confused. I really meant the M2s that you recommended. Do you think having the verticle center on a 16" TV stand below my ear level will be a bad thing? I know you say you personally like the center above your TV.

No, not a bad thing at all. In fact that is where most people put it and are quite happy. It is simply my personal preference to have it above the screen I most situations however it’s not a deal breaker. For me the differences would be noticeable but not enough to drive me crazy or anything. I fact right now my center is under my screen:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthre...true#Post309421

I agree with Dan that the M22 is a fantastic speaker. I often recommend it to people paired with a subwoofer in lieu of M80s. Really it’s pretty much an M80 w/o the bass and maybe even a little better on the mid to high end. The M2 is to the M22 what the M22 is to the M80. If all three of these speakers are crossed over to a subwoofer at 80Hz IMO the M2 and M22 sound identical while the M80 sounds ever so slightly fuller and authoritative. I other words I would say either the M2 or M22 plus sub combo gives you about 95% of what an M80 plus sub combo give at a fraction of the price. If your room were larger I might recommend the M22 over the M2 as it should fill the room with a little more sound. But IMO unless you plan on some 2ch listening you won’t notice the difference in your room.

Here is a review comparing some bookshelf speaker that isn’t linked on the Axiom site.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0509/aperion_intimus_5b_axiom_m2v2_paradigm_v6.htm

Now that I’ve heard one the M2 is IMO the unsung hero of the Axiom lineup. Previously I’ve said that the M22 was the best Axiom speaker for the price now it’s easily the M2 as long as you plan to use a subwoofer or not listen to bass heavy 2ch music.

Cheers,
Dean
Posted By: JohnK Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/06/10 01:43 AM
Seek, that positioning of the vertical M2 center on the 16" stand should be fine, especially if you tilt it back slightly so that the tweeter points at your ear level.
Posted By: Seekinganswers Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/06/10 03:51 AM
JohnK,

I am glad to hear the vertical M2 will work and I never thought of the idea of tilting it slightly backwards, sounds like it won't be too bad after all.

Dean,

You are really selling me on the M2s as front speakers, too. I don't know the details but the M2s looks like a stripped down version of the M22s with one less woofer. I would guess that is why they sound very similar?
Posted By: JohnK Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/06/10 04:24 AM
Sure, above about 80Hz the design similarities make for a very close match. Looking at the NRC test results used by SoundStage, it appears that the M22 enclosure is tuned to about 55Hz and the M2 to about 75Hz. So the M22 should have about 20Hz more bass extension and be capable of a louder bass level because of the two drivers in operation.

Above that point the two M22 drivers would allow for greater mid-range output or lower distortion at the same level, and the NRC graphs do show more distortion in the M2s there although the frequency response is essentially identical. However, as the NRC points out in their description of their procedures, this distortion measurement is taken at a 90dB level, which as they say is very loud and far beyond a normal listening level. At a more normal level the mid-range output would be very similar in respect to being audibly clean.
Posted By: grunt Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/06/10 06:06 AM

You are really selling me on the M2s as front speakers, too. I don't know the details but the M2s looks like a stripped down version of the M22s with one less woofer. I would guess that is why they sound very similar?

Just trying to help you avoid one of the pitfalls of speaker buying that “bigger is better.” Better is relative to ones situation and in your case, not very big room and won’t be playing loud very often, the M2s seem more practical than the M22s to me. They also cost less allowing you to put the savings toward the QS8s which I think most people agree are superior to the QS4s even when not in a large room.

If you can afford M22s mains and QS8s with a M2 center that is a viable option. Just think about what you plan to do with the M22s and M2 when you are ready to upgrade. As I mentioned M22s are IMO overkill as wide, height and rear speakers (where they’re likely to be re-tasked) unless you have a huge room. They’ll do the job but an M2 will do those jobs for a lot less money. So in both the short and long run it’s cheaper to get 3 M2s now and later when you upgrade get one more M2 and turn them into wide and rear, wide and height or height and rear as any future receiver you get will likely have those capabilities. OTOH if you think you might have a use for the M22s as 2ch speakers in a medium to small room then they could be a good choice. Just understand that to cover a full musical range of frequencies they will still need a subwoofers support.

Cheers,
Dean
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: M22s, VP100, QS4s? - 08/06/10 01:58 PM
You won't have regrets if you go with M22's for mains. You're only saving ~$180 total (from Factory Outlet) in downgrading to the M2's. You can save that by not going out to eat for a month.

When you want to play loud you can, and if you go into a bigger room, you can. I've probably moved my setup 7-8 times and the M22's have never failed me in any situation. I really like the M22's because when placed on a desk, they are at the perfect listening height.

My philosophy on audio equipment is to buy the best that is reasonable now, and take care of it. Let me tell you, I was a freshman in college when I bought my Axiom setup. Every person on my floor called me crazy for that type of investment.

It broke the bank a little bit, but it's been 6 years, they still play loud, look great, and have served me well. It's an investment that will last, and in many years when you still have your setup, you won't be itching to get something else. I sure am not.

Good luck :-)
© Axiom Message Boards