Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jritz Setting up The QS8's - 06/27/03 05:39 PM
I have a 5.1 system and I am going to get the qs8's fro teh rears. This may sound like a dumb question but should they be mounted on the wall behind the couch or to the sides facing at the listener.

Thanks,
Justin
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Setting up The QS8's - 06/27/03 05:50 PM
Definitely to the sides. Even with or slightly behind the listening position and about 3 feet above ear level would be the preferred location.
Posted By: MIKEY Re: Setting up The QS8's - 06/27/03 07:10 PM
There are quite a few threads on this subject posted throughout Axioms msg boards..
You will find that the Q's are very very forgiving to placement.. They do not have to be even from one side of the room to the other, height from floor to ceiling, nor distance from front or back wall..
But yes, they would be placed on the sides with a 5.1 system, not the back.. When you go to 6.1, then you would place the 6th channel spkr in the back...

Posted By: BigWill Re: Setting up The QS8's - 06/27/03 09:00 PM
My QS8s are on stands that I have been moving around a bit, experimenting. I made the stands a couple inches higher than the ones Axiom sells, so the tweeters would clear the back edge of the couch. Currently, I find the best surround effects to be had when they are place behind the couch and angled in at the listener. Essentialy, one tweeter fires forward and the other across the room at the opposite QS8. I've also tried to maintain that "golden triangle" situation that Chesseroo so graciously posted for us.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Setting up The QS8's - 06/27/03 11:39 PM
Bigwill,
have you actually tried the golden ratio setup?
I don't have the space in my basement but i'm curious to eventually see if using the setup eliminates null spots and slight offsets from left to right.

Posted By: BigWill Re: Setting up The QS8's - 06/28/03 02:21 PM
Not really. I couldn't put the surrounds that far behind me (unless I put them outside with the windows open). When I had them as far back as they could go they seemed to blend in real well, but weren't very loud. I suppose I should have tried raising the volume for those channels, but I just moved them forward, closer to the back of the couch. At the back wall, they would be about 5' behind listening position and approx. 15-20' apart. It is 14-16' feet from the lp to the Tv, I think.
© Axiom Message Boards