Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 72mustang HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 05:04 AM
Is there such a thing as a HDMI splitter of somesort. Here's my scenario. I am going to run a DVD and satelitte box into my receiver via HDMI. I will then run a HDMI from receiver to TV. This was recommended to me here. My question is now IF my wife wants to watch TV without the stereo on, is there a way she can have it with just the Satelitte and TV on only??? If so, can someone link what I need here off of monoprice.com as Im making another order tomorrow for some RCA cable. Thanks.
Posted By: JohnK Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 05:42 AM
Sure, Bruce; as long as the TV has at least two HDMI inputs, a powered HDMI splitter, such as this one can split the satellite HDMI cable, with one output to the receiver and another going directly to another HDMI input on the TV.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 05:49 AM
Thanks JohnK. Would this be the only option or are there others? Why powered? Also... if she was to watch only tv and satellite... would the input on the tv have to be changed over to the other HDMI selection on the menue?
Posted By: JohnK Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 06:08 AM
Check that entire section of MonoPrice splitters. There's a better chance for the powered one to supply a strong enough signal(even though only one TV is involved), but you could take a chance on the passive $7 cable.

Yes, the appropriate HDMI input on the TV, the direct one rather than the one from the receiver, would have to be selected.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 06:11 AM
Thanks bud. I'll add the one you posted on my order. This shit gets expensive after awhile. lol
Posted By: 72mustang Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 07:08 AM
Cant seem to edit the above post for some reason... anyways, any idea if the more expensive ones have more " power " or better quality? I see the next model has " Pro " in its title. Wonder if it shoots out more power and better quality???
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 11:44 AM
I have 3 of the "non-pro" ones in my setup (exactly the model posted previously). They do their job very well. But I have to add that one of them failed a few weeks ago. Not sure yet by which one I will replace!
Posted By: terzaghi Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 01:25 PM
I couldn't imagine using my tv speakers while $4,000 worth of audio gear sits silent... wink
Posted By: billy p Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 01:46 PM
I had some issues when I tried using a simlilar splitter. Fwiw...I would just use some analog cables(rca type) from the sat/cable box to the display and your good to go...my wife likes it simple and she could careless about surround sound.
Posted By: RickF Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
I couldn't imagine using my tv speakers while $4,000 worth of audio gear sits silent... wink

David and I think alike.
Posted By: Nashvegas Rocks Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi

If you have ever gotten the phone call "I cant get sound to work on the tv" while off hunting, or guys weekend golfing etc, you can definitely see the value in this.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 03:52 PM
Harmony remote. 'nuff said.
Posted By: RickF Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Harmony remote. 'nuff said.

Ken and I think alike.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 06:20 PM
my wife cant use a garage door opener let alone a remote control. Simple is as simple gets. Also... I do not want my 4 year daughter playing with Elite receiver if Im not around.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 06:22 PM
Exactly.
Posted By: Nashvegas Rocks Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/19/10 08:21 PM
I will say though, i dont know about other AVR manufactureres but Denon truly did make it easy with the HDMI monitor out. The wife knows that she can hit SAT or DVD and it switches everything for her. I am close to purchasing a Harmony remote but needed to upgrade my TV first. I should be adding a new Pany 50" next week so i have one for "my" bonus room and the downstairs living room. Getting the G20 which is THX cert and has 5:1 contrast
Posted By: speedbump Re: HDMI splitter? - 09/23/10 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: 72mustang
My question is now IF my wife wants to watch TV without the stereo on, is there a way she can have it with just the Satelitte and TV on only???

What receiver do you have? I know my Denon can pass the HDMI signal through when it is in standby. You just need to turn on HDMI control. You can then set it to pass the last used HDMI input or have it always pass a selected source. This would eliminate your need for a splitter.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: HDMI splitter? - 10/27/10 10:20 PM
Update: A second out my three "non pro" splitter died today. It has been flaky for a while and now it has ceased to provide services... I guess i'll be ordering the "pro" model now!
© Axiom Message Boards