Axiom Home Page
Posted By: muskyraider Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 01:48 AM
From viewing alot of pics of peoples setups I have noticed quite a few people have there subwoofers set up front beside the mains. Being a big fan of dual subs this setup does indeed look good but after trying that setup myself I found that I am losing some bass in this configuration. Went back to locations on either side of couch listening area sounds alot better but doesnt look as good as front placement. The subs do make good coffee tables though smile
Posted By: grunt Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 02:20 AM
Quote:

From viewing alot of pics of peoples setups I have noticed quite a few people have there subwoofers set up front beside the mains. Being a big fan of dual subs this setup does indeed look good but after trying that setup myself I found that I am losing some bass in this configuration. Went back to locations on either side of couch listening area sounds alot better but doesnt look as good as front placement. The subs do make good coffee tables though

With dual subs opposite side walls or front/back walls often sound better than both up front because they help each other cancel out room modes giving you smoother sounding bass.

A lot of people put their single subs up front because it helps keep the sub from being localizable and often they just don’t have a better place to put it.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 02:47 AM
Dave, welcome. If the main consideration is to be performance rather than appearance, two subs should be located, as Dean mentions, so as to minimize the effects of room modes which cause uneven bass. There are fairly lengthy papers discussing this, but the short version is that they should be located either at the midpoints of opposite walls or in diagonally opposite corners.
Posted By: GTZ Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 03:19 AM
Function over form. To me how it sounds is more important than how it looks.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 03:20 AM
When I first got a sub this year, I planned to put it up front, but after moving it around a lot, off to the side both sounds the best and makes a better end table at the same time.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 06:07 AM
My sub doubles as an end table as well smile It is also about the only place I can fit it in the room. I have yet to try it behind the couch which is the only other option I have.
Posted By: CV Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 06:16 AM
I've never considered using my EP800s as tables. I must need higher seating.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 06:29 AM
Pub/bar height chairs should work smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 12:57 PM
Gotta watch them drinks, though. They'll rattle right off.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 01:11 PM
The key is you drink them fast!

As a side bonus, when you re-watch your movies, the second half always seems new.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/13/10 01:27 PM
Subwoofers with cup holders?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/14/10 06:14 AM
Top mounted port holes could be used as cup holders with the added bonus of them shooting into the air during really intense LFE scenes.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/14/10 02:50 PM
*note to self-- No hot chocolate during action movies.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Subwoofer Placement Upfront - 11/14/10 03:00 PM
What about buttermilk?
© Axiom Message Boards