Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sam3274 M60 on a stand? - 12/30/10 08:31 PM
Has anyone done this? I'm a new owner of M60 V3 and last night I decided to place it on a 6"~8" stand. I kinda like it. Any pros and cons on elevating these speakers since they're classified as floor standers?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

sam3274
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/30/10 09:02 PM
Haven't tried it myself, but, some people have raised the M60s/80s off the ground several inches via stands or cinder blocks and claim an improvement in imaging and overall clarity. Maybe it helps tame floor reflections?
Posted By: bdpf Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/30/10 09:03 PM
Usually the tweeters should be at ear level. If the stand helps than it's a good thing, if they sound better to you that way, then it's a good thing too. The only cons I see is to be careful not to knock it down.
Posted By: RickF Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/30/10 09:10 PM
Sam we had a fella on here a long while back who hung his M80s from the ceiling angling them down towards the listening area and raved about how well they sounded, said they made Stevie Ray Vaughan's tone sound incredible.

I've always either had way too much or not enough, but evidently never the right amount of alcohol in my system to get the courage to do that with my speakers but have been intrigued with his findings every since I first read about it.
Posted By: Adrian Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/30/10 09:27 PM
Don't forget the 8 x M80's on Ian's dock up in Huntsville, 4 of those were hanging from the boathouse roof! Oh, and the group at the get together did, indeed, play some SRV, Rick!
Posted By: grunt Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/30/10 09:34 PM
Hi Sam, I’ve had my M80s placed up on stands before and found it greatly improved the ambience and depth of the soundstage in rooms where I’ve had lots of heavy sound absorbing furniture.

I think the improvement comes from several things:

Elevating the tweeters and midranges above the furniture means less of those frequencies are getting absorbed before hitting the back and back side walls and being reflected.

Having the midranges rather than the tweeters at ear level makes for a much better presentation especially for vocals IMO.

A little “tighter” bass probably from getting the woofers away from the floor.

I’ve also found that angling the speaker back so that the midranges are pointed at ear level also helps a little but not as much as elevating the whole speaker. Also works just as good if not better hanging them upside down and aimed down at the seating.
Posted By: sam3274 Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/30/10 10:52 PM
Thanks for your comments, guys.

The consensus seems to be that elevating the speakers will provide improvements. I was only thinking of this with M60 because I thought the M80 is tall enough but some of you elevated even the M80!

Could that be one of the reasons why some speakers have their tweeters, midranges, and woofers on the top half of their floor standing speakers instead of nicely and evenly located from top to bottom?

One would think that a lot of research has gone into this sort of thing, wouldn't you?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/30/10 10:55 PM
I had always wanted to try this with multiple subs... but maybe EP400s would be better:

Posted By: SBrown Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/31/10 01:16 AM
shocked Now that's a great idea Mark,two more EP500's and I am done. whistle
Posted By: alan Re: M60 on a stand? - 12/31/10 03:09 PM
Hi Sam,

To add to the excellent comments by others, just know that with any floorstanding speaker like the M60, the more you move the speaker away from any "adjacent boundary"-- in your case, the floor-- the less emphasis of deep bass there'll be.

So if a floorstanding speaker tends to be a bit "boomy" with too much bass for your taste, elevating it will reduce that emphasis of the bass region. Or you could move it out from the wall behind or farther away from any corners.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: sam3274 Re: M60 on a stand? - 01/02/11 06:14 PM
Thanks, Alan.

I'm still experimenting to see which setup I would eventually settle on (with or without footstool).
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: M60 on a stand? - 01/02/11 08:22 PM
Ajax had his M60's on something (cinder blocks or similar?) and reported quite a positive difference. Speaker placement can make a HUGE difference and it's usually close to "free".
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: M60 on a stand? - 01/02/11 10:17 PM
If I remember right, the benefit of Jack raising the speakers was that the tweeters were newly visible over the top or the sofa's arm... smile
Posted By: CV Re: M60 on a stand? - 01/02/11 10:59 PM
We need a "Kilroy was here" pic with tweeters as eyes.
© Axiom Message Boards