Axiom Home Page
Posted By: yourchef51 Surrounds and Sub left - 03/07/11 04:07 AM
I am about to finish my theater. I have on wall m22 v2 left and right and a vp150 on wall v2 center all set up. I need the surrounds and a sub....and the budget is getting tighter. I was thinking of going with the qs8 and a ep175 sub. Will these all play nice together? I will mostly be using the theater for tv and movies, we haven't played much music in there yet. I have a denon 2310ci dvr if that helps. Thanks for any advice.

DJ
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Surrounds and Sub left - 03/07/11 04:19 AM
For surrounds it is hard to beat Qs8's, so I would recommend them at some point. Also, a good sub is important, especially without full range floorstanding speakers. The 175 is ok, but I would recommend at least the ep350 for better performance. How big is your HT room? Keep in mind you can save some money by purchasing from the Auction website at Axiom.
Posted By: Hansang Re: Surrounds and Sub left - 03/07/11 04:47 AM
I have the EP500 and 175. I'm not sure what your room size is, but I would save up for a bigger sub than 175.
Posted By: yourchef51 Re: Surrounds and Sub left - 03/07/11 05:04 AM
The main viewing room is 11'3" by 15'4". There is a drink ledge at the 15'4" mark with seating beyond that. the room extends another 12'. There are no speakers though in the drink ledge area. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Surrounds and Sub left - 03/07/11 05:15 AM
DS, welcome. Yes, the QS8s are a superior surround speaker which you should add.

A stronger sub than the EP175 would be advisable for your use and if your budget is limited to that area a Hsu VTF-2 Mk3 at a similar price would be a good buy.
Posted By: solarrdadd Re: Surrounds and Sub left - 03/07/11 03:12 PM
you could buy 2 emotiva 12" sealed subs for $860 (that's just $100 more than the cost of just 1 EP350)and delivery is free (in the USA) they are $430 each so thaat is another option. i am certain that 2 of these will take care of your sub needs and at that price, it's gonna be hard to beat the price to performance. i own both the 12 & 10 subs that emotiva makes and they are avery good.

http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm

best of luck, please keep us posted.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Surrounds and Sub left - 03/07/11 03:40 PM
With that room size, that opens into another area, I would recommend a bigger sub Mr Chef. smile
Posted By: yourchef51 Re: Surrounds and Sub left - 03/08/11 04:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far. There is another factor too and that is that the womd (woman of my dreams) wants a sub that is white to match the other three speakers that I got from the axiom auction a while back. And I quote "I just don't want a black one". Axiom is the only place so far that has and option for white. Do people paint subs?

DJ
© Axiom Message Boards