Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/19/03 07:49 PM
I've gotten a bit curious about this after reading all of these posts. My sub is a sealed design, and I was wondering what people thought of those. When I was shopping for subs, lo these many years ago, I found the sealed sub to be more--I hate to use this term--musical, and with a better punch. As a bonus, no port chuff! (no, I haven't tried it with that goblin scene yet). On the other hand, it's fairly sensitive to placement. I must disagree with Frenchlop and JohnK about reflections overamplifying the bass; I found the sub to be far too much when it was in a corner, no matter how much I turned it down. Anyway, what do you guys think?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/20/03 12:38 AM
The jury is out with me on whether sealed or ported is inherently better, but I think it really comes down to design in either case. I found a page with some good basic info on the two designs here.

DIYsubwoofers.com also has some great info:
This link is about sealed designs
This link is about ported designs

Remember how much we loved the sealed Hales Revelation 2s?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/20/03 01:18 AM
I would love to hear a sealed sub myself.
Monitor Audio has a nice one.
Posted By: sushi Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/21/03 09:24 PM
Ken,

I don't think either the sealed or ported designs are inherently better than the other. One can make a great sub or a crappy one, using either designs. However, my take is, for a given set of specs for bass frequency extension and maximum low-distortion SPL, the sealed designs tend to cost more. In other words, if I were hunting for an under-$1K sub, I would be looking mostly at the ported designs (simply, there seems to be no great sealed subs in this price range). But if I were to buy a $3K sub, I would seriously look at the sealed subs, too.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/22/03 04:54 AM
Do you know of any examples of the "great" sealed subs off the top of your head? I've just gotta be different!
Posted By: sushi Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/22/03 08:26 AM
The Velodyne HGS series II are certainly one of such "great" sealed subs.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/22/03 03:36 PM
Monitor Audio has one similar to the HGS12, their FB212.
I don't know much about its 'greatness' but it certainly looks interesting.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/22/03 03:58 PM
Hmm. What does "vented" mean? Looks nice...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/22/03 04:51 PM
vented pole piece, you mean? I think ir refers to the fact that air can flow in and out of the voice coil area from behind while the cone moves back and forth.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/22/03 05:29 PM
Oops, never mind. I read further on the page. I'm no longer sure the sub is a sealed design. It appears that the drivers themselves are completely internal, but how can a sub be both "vented" and "sealed" at the same time? They also mention lack of chuffing. This is a non-issue with sealed designs, isn't it?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Ported sub vs sealed sub - 07/22/03 06:47 PM
Here is a link to various subwoofer designs.
The push pull isobaric is shown near the bottom.
© Axiom Message Boards