Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/14/11 04:46 AM
Since I don't think that my VP150 will fetch much at the auction here or on eBay, what are some options for what to do with it if I upgrade to a VP180? Would it work as a rear center? Has anyone done that?

For those that can't read my sig, I have M60 fronts, QS8 surrounds....
Posted By: JohnK Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/14/11 06:26 AM
Nick, sure it'll work as a back center, although two back surround speakers are suggested for a more complete left and right rear surround effect. For a wider horizontal dispersion it should be placed vertically.
Posted By: grunt Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/14/11 06:38 AM
You can certainly try it as a single back speaker. I tried it and would say it was better than nothing but paled in comparison even to 2 M22s, not even going to talk about comparing it to QS8s. wink

Perhaps you could put it in a garage or someplace you would be moving around in so that being in the sweet spot between stereo speakers wouldn’t matter.
Start another smaller setup in your upstairs tv room like I did.
Remove the speakers and use it as a flower pot.
Posted By: Murph Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/14/11 12:03 PM
First I laughed but turned upright, it does look like a Window Box now that you mention it.
Unless you happen to luck in to a buyer, like myself, you will probably have to place the speaker in a newly formed "archive" or perhaps better said a "museum" of former speakers. I have a significant collection along with THREE smaller centre channels of various configurations from different manufacturers sitting tucked away in a crawl space in my home.

After awhile, if you really want to hear how good the VP180 is or for that matter any large full range center channel, take the VP150 and hook it back up and listen. As good as the VP150 is, you will wonder why you didn't buy the VP180 sooner.
So no real good use for the VP150 after an upgrade to a 180... Except maybe that flower box...

Man, I miss the trade in program...
Posted By: bdpf Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/14/11 03:50 PM
If you can't sell it, I would use it as a 6.1 for now until you go 7.1.
I guess that I could try to sell it for a while. It is just sitting here, not connected, waiting on V4.0 of the theater to be done (which won't be for months). I really would rather get the VP180 and another pair of QS8s than have to build a wall structure of some sort to mount the VP150 (or use the FMB I still have somewhere) in a brand new room just to always be wanting the QS8s...

Again, I wish that the upgrade program was still around. frown
Version 4 of theater? I'll be glad to just resume working on my version 1.
V1.0 was from 2 houses ago. It was full of crap speakers and a big screen TV. V2.0 was at our "new" place 8 years ago. Put in Axiom speakers, Pioneer Elite receiver, and a nice front projector. It was just in a shared area in the basement that was not good for sound/light control. V3.0 was at the same house in a dedicated room that had great lighting control, but the room was horribly shaped. V4.0 is going to be in our new-new house (just bought it 3 weeks ago) where I have a nice big 1800 sqft basement to work with. The room won't be as big as some other theaters, but it will be bigger than any of my others, with some proper sizing, lighting and sound control, and some new gear (new projector, hopefully a VP180 and QS8's, new receiver, etc).

Well, enough of that, I need to get down to the basement and get stuffing some insulation, and finishing some concrete crack repairs so that I can start working on putting up exterior walls yet this week...
Sounds similar to the repair work I need to do in my basement ht area. I think I will dub my living room set up as I have it now as my version 1. I think it qualifies because of the sound system and how enjoyable it is to watch movies and concerts on.
Closing your eyes and wishing really hard is a tactic, not a strategy.

Pick up another one and use them as mains in another system.
Or... Mount them in the back of your HT room and connect it to the doorbell (with amplification) so that you know when someone is at the front door during a movie. (BING BONG. BING BONG.)

Something new for Axiom to manufacture and sell....
There isn't a really good place elsewhere in the house to set up another system. (Dream dashed, bubble burst, wish.....washed)...

If the VP180 wasn't so amazing, I would just get another VP150 and have 2 centers... oh well.
I actually believe the VP180 killed the upgrade program. There was always a logical upgrade path, but the 180 had us all want to upgrade and it had a dramatic impact on sales of 100 and 150's. My opinion anyways.......
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/15/11 02:52 AM
I would guess something like that, yes.
I agree with the suggestion of putting it in a second system (bedroom, perhaps). Another idea is to give it to a friend that is just getting into HT.
Posted By: Murph Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/15/11 04:33 PM
Since giving has been put out there, you probably have a local youth club of some sort that would love to start collecting sound gear. I helped a local Boys and Girls club set up a home theater room. It's a mishmash of donated equipment but the kids couldn't care less. They think it's awesome.
Wow, your basement is 1800 sf?!? Man I wish the soils here allowed us to have basements...

I'm still seriously considering a vp180, and when I finally take the plunge I had the same question about my 150. If I find a house with space for a theater room, I thought about using it for surround in the main living room but I think I'd rather just get a nice pair of wood veneer m22s for the living room and stick with stereo for now.
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/16/11 04:52 AM
I already gave my VP150 to my dad a long time ago, but I'm thinking about passing my single M22 along to him after I get a VP180 (or two) or third M80 (still debating with myself about that one). I need to get some more external amplification before I get to that point. Right now I'm relying on just my receiver until my Axiom amp issues are sorted.
What's the latest news about the amp?
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 04:02 AM
It's back with Axiom. I haven't heard further word, but I told them I could do without it until everything's been resolved. It was my plan to use the Axiom amp for my mains and center(s), so whenever I get it back, I'll do that. In the meantime, I'm going to think about other amplification for the remaining channels. I'm not sure which way I'll go with that yet.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 04:24 AM
Parasound Halos. They're pretty.
Ken, those are nice looking amps. Really nice design on those--elegant and sleek.
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 04:57 AM
They are, but I think they're out of my price range. Ha ha.
Come on, CV! It's your job to help us live vicariously through you.

Don't disappoint us.
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 05:04 AM
Oh, right. I'm only supposed to disappoint you guys with my love life. I need to keep that straight.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 05:06 AM
They're that much more expensive than an A1400? I don't know, I just assumed they were out of my range.
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 05:09 AM
I'm planning to go much cheaper with my other amplification. I figured I already bit the bullet once for the mains and center, so I won't be so gung-ho about the rest. I have too many other things to put money toward at this point.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 05:20 AM
But, pretty!
You can try to rig up some car batteries?
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 05:45 AM
Okay, I've confused myself. Is that for the speakers or for my love life?
Just buy whatever has blue lights.

Bluuuuuuuuuue.............
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 02:05 PM
For his love life?
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/17/11 06:31 PM
I'm thinking I should go red light for that.
Yea, blue lights are so overdone... Red is the new blue... ;-)

Maybe I should take the drivers out of my VP150 and fill it up with some red lights!

Maybe I'll just hang on to it and buy some M22s for the basement family room. Then I will have Axioms there for Wii and Xboxing... Axioms in my home theater, and then my HTIB Sony blu-ray stuff for upstairs (My wife wanted small speakers, but I wanted surround, so this fit the bill...)
I put my VP150 as my rear. So I have a 6.1 setup (single rear).

I was never convinced traditional 7.1 had much to offer (beyond the 5.1) and I don't know that 6.1 setup changed my mind. 150 is working just fine, but with QS8's doing their thing, VP150 isn't really pulling heavy weight. But since I had it, I put it up on the wall. smile
Ok, it's official. No one is allowed to talk about a vp180 until I buy one. smile

I've worked enough overtime this week to cover the cost of a VP180 but I can't justify the purchase as I need to buy a house first.... or so the wife says wink

Oh well, eventually I'll buy one i can promise you that! Too many glowing reviews to ignore.
Wow, your job must pay better than mine! smile
Either that, or I worked a helluva lot of overtime this week smile

Posted By: Murph Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/20/11 02:10 PM
At least you get payed for overtime. I was on call as Duty Manager this weekend, had a busy day Sunday with calls then worked frantically until 1:30am last night coordinating generator runs, dealing with offline cell towers and other results of a very nasty afternoon lightning storm. However, I shall see no additional HT funds as a result. Nor, am I likely to get back any time in lieu.

We do get certain freedoms like being able to freely leave for appointments and stuff or leave early when required as we "manage our own time" but I don't know anybody at my level who ever gets back more than a fraction of the extra time they put in.

Still, not a bad place to work overall. I'm just saying that it is nice you get paid.
I'm on salary and no overtime pay either, but fortunately, there's very little overtime work.
Yeah, I'm glad I get paid for overtime for sure. I'll go several months with little or no overtime but then a project will come up that requires a lot of OT hours, and occasionally an unusual amount of travel. On our old pay system we used to get paid time and a half for overtime which was awesome... Now we just get straight time (maybe a couple dollars more per hour or so depending on the position) but I'm not complaining. With the economy in the dumps, I'm just glad to have a job that I enjoy and pays fairly well.
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/21/11 04:06 AM
My base pay isn't something to write home about, but it's definitely not the worst, either. I feel really lucky as far as the other stuff. We still get time and a half for overtime. I make $2.10/hr extra for working evenings instead of days. (Weekend shifts get $3.something extra, though I almost never work those). Overtime doesn't come up often in our department, but we moved to a new inventory management system (the software does more than that, but that's our part of it), so we've had some overtime recently, which I was happy to see.

The best thing about my job is how fast I accrue time off, even though I rarely take advantage of it. I'll have to start, though, since they're no longer letting people cash out their time off until the IRS figures out how they want it handled. I would always use those cash-outs to buy new toys, including Axioms. Now I'll have to actually take vacation. But yeah, I get 11.44 hours of PTO every two weeks. I think it caps out at 12? The maximum you can have in your bank is 296 hours, though, so I'll have to start taking vacations so I don't max out and start losing what I earn.
I was just taken off salary, because the VP doesn't think I'm working a full 40 every week. So now I'm back on the time clock. I hate to tell him, I've been working an average of 42 hours every week for the last four years. I like my job, and was grateful for the flexibility that I was allowed by not having to punch in and out all the time. But now that trouble is being made for me, I'm going to cause trouble back. So I'm either going to end up with 4 hours of OT on each biweekly check, or I'm taking a half day every other Friday. I'm sure the VP will be upset when he comes looking for me, and I'm gone at noon.

Sorry, just needed to rant, today was my first day back on the clock.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I got called this morning 2 hours before I was supposed to be at work, and had to trouble shoot over the phone. Since I was awake, I went into work early. So I already worked 9.5 hours on this first day. smile
Posted By: CV Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/21/11 04:24 AM
The worst thing about being reliable and trustworthy is being treated like you're not. I hate that when it rears its head at my work, too.
Originally Posted By: CV
The worst thing about being reliable and trustworthy is being treated like you're not.

That's a pet peeve of mine too. So I don't show up when I want myself there and I steal little things from myself, then tell on myself, so I know that I can't be trusted.

Stupid me. I make myself so mad!
Posted By: Murph Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/21/11 11:31 AM
Have you tried being nicer to yourself? Offer yourself a day off and say that you will cover it. Find out your favorite treat and bring it to your work for yourself. Perhaps go on a team building exercise with yourself. Something fun that falls within the interests of both your selves.
I keep doing that thing where I fall backwards, but the sunoffabitch lets me fall.

Team building my sore ass!
Trust Fall by Yourself, I believe that was a Negative Orange b-side.
And Mark has the butt bruises to prove it.
Mark's boss sounds like a real prick.
[quote=ClubNeon]Trust Fall by Yourself, I believe that was a Negative Orange b-side. [/quote

I don't know, but I bet CV has the. . . .oh, there goes the phone. . .

*thud*

"Oh, hi! Nothing much, just playing the trust game with CV. . ."
Posted By: Murph Re: What to do with my VP150 if I get a VP180? - 06/22/11 11:38 AM
Trust is the groom going to bed in a tent that has a sheet of plywood under it during his stag party and believing us when we say that it is for thermal insulation as that tent is known to be cold.

I'm just sayin....
That's drunkenness, not trust. They are subtle differences.
Originally Posted By: medic8r
And Mark has the butt bruises to prove it.

You sound so positive, it makes me uncomfy.
Mission accomplished!
Look! Dr. Freakenstein is chuffed.
I meant to post this a long time ago...

Thread derailing is also a spectator sport.

Excellent! I wonder where that is? My first thought was India, but the cars are neither under water nor enveloped in flames, so...China, maybe??
LOL
© Axiom Message Boards