Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Mano One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/13/11 05:22 AM
Hi

I just bought a pair of M22 onwall, VP150 onwall and a pair of QS8 for sides a couple of weeks ago. One of my M22 has been crackling occassionally. I hear the crackle whether I set them as "small" or "large". I have checked all my wiring & connections. I also switched my right & left speaker to see if it was the connections, but the same speaker continues to crackle.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/13/11 05:59 AM
Call Axiom. They'll take care of you.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/13/11 11:46 AM
Sounds like you have done good troubleshooting. As Ken mentioned, calling Axiom's 800 number would be best at the top of this webpage. They will take care of you...

fyi: small is the correct setting..
Posted By: Jc Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/13/11 12:13 PM
Hi Mano,

Please, don't hesitate to dial the Axiom's toll free number 866-244-8796; I will gladly assist you. Meanwhile, remove the speaker grille and verify if the crackling is coming from one of the drivers.

You can also send me an email with the result of your findings using jc@axiomaudio.com.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/13/11 02:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Mano
Hi

I just bought a pair of M22 onwall, VP150 onwall and a pair of QS8 for sides a couple of weeks ago. One of my M22 has been crackling occassionally. I hear the crackle whether I set them as "small" or "large". I have checked all my wiring & connections. I also switched my right & left speaker to see if it was the connections, but the same speaker continues to crackle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Very good troubleshooting Mano. You eliminated it being any connections as well as the receiver. If the crackling occurs on a variety of recordings than the problem is most definitely the speaker. What you have to check now is whether the crackling is coming from the metal tweeter or the two midrange drivers.

So take the grille off the problematic speaker, put a recording that you remember the speaker crackling on and go up to the speaker and put your ear up to the speaker with that recording playing and try to isolate where that sound is coming from. Since you will be so close to the speaker and for your hearing safety you only need the volume to be low.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/13/11 02:51 PM
Oh another thing to check is if you use audyssey or not with your receiver. If so check to make sure it didn't do anything dreadful like set the individual trim extremely high on that speaker. You can try disabling any auto EQ as well. I doubt this is the source of the problem but worth checking anyways. If you didn't use any auto calibration just ignore this troubleshooting step.
Posted By: Mano Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/13/11 10:31 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Will do further troubleshooting as recommended tonite and post the results.

Thx
Posted By: Mano Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/14/11 04:26 AM
I checked and the crackling is definitely coming from the bottom driver on one of the speakers, even at very low volume.

And no, I have not used the auto audessey setup yet.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/14/11 04:47 AM
Bet you need a replacement driver. Easy fix, at least!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/14/11 12:54 PM
that reminds me, one of my exterior speakers on the outside of our newer travel trailer is crackling. I think it is Jensen brand, will have to call the RV manufacturer. I don't like listening to music on just the left channel, balance control.. frown
Posted By: Jc Re: One of my new M22 onwall is crackling - 07/14/11 08:15 PM
Hi Mano,
Please, dial the Axiom toll free number (866-244-8796) I cannot trace your coordinates with the Forum identity.
© Axiom Message Boards