Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r Adjustable screen? - 07/13/11 03:20 PM
I'm seriously thinking of going from my current 88" framed canvas screen (1.85:1) to a painted screen. My wish is for the new projected area to have about the same height as my current screen but to expand the width to get a 2.35 or 2.4:1 ratio.

What I'm primarily wondering is how to best devise a framing system that will allow me to adjust the side borders, so that when I'm watching a HDTV signal at 1.78:1, or a movie at 1.85:1, I won't have white screen on the sides. I know that my projector (Panasonic AE900) will output black letterboxing, but it's not the same as a black felt frame.

I was thinking of an affixed 2.4:1 felted frame of some sort on which I could attach and remove a solid structure of some sort as needed. My wife was imagining some sort of adjustable curtain like at a movie theater.

Anybody done this or have ideas? Thanks!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Adjustable screen? - 07/13/11 03:32 PM
Haven't done this yet as it really doesn't bother me to have black bars on the side of my 2.35 screen when watching 1.78 (dvds) or 1.85 (hdtv) material. Curtains (manual/electric) or some sort of panels would work if you can figure it out.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Adjustable screen? - 07/13/11 03:38 PM
I was just wondering if you mounted a curtain rod (black, if you can find one), that controls both sides with one pull of a cord for manual control would work. Then make some curtains that fits the screen area out of some black felt material, or whatever works for this.

Edit: It looks like they are called Traverse Rods.

Here's one option in black. You could always glue black felt to the front of it, to make it non-reflective.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Adjustable screen? - 07/13/11 06:31 PM
Imagine trying to come up with your own masking system for the horizontal bars. That was not fun when I did that.

For v4.0 of my theater, I am going with a nice wide screen too. I am just going to use movie style curtains I think.
© Axiom Message Boards