Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PTPlayers Used M80"s - 08/27/11 10:53 AM
Thinking about buy another set of M80-V3 and a friend has a set which are just over a year old and he is asking 1000.00 .

Do you think this is a fair price ?
Posted By: Philippe Re: Used M80"s - 08/27/11 11:06 AM
For a V3 yes this is a fair price. Not a great deal but a fair price.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Used M80"s - 08/27/11 02:13 PM
You can get a brand new pair with 5yr warranty for $1180 on the auction site. Something to consider and use as a negotiation if you decide to go with the used ones.
Posted By: fredk Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 12:01 AM
My ususal rule of thumb is 50% If you know the buyer and trust the quality that is worth a premium, but not that much of a premium.

Axiom, though they produce a high quality product are not exactly a houshold name and do not command any sort of brand premium.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 02:48 PM
I'd pay the extra and buy brand new (or from auction if they show up) unless you can negotiate the price down a bit more. The warranty is non-transferable so if something goes wrong you will have to pay to repair.
Posted By: PTPlayers Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 03:18 PM
Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy about the current Axioms i have and resale value .
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 05:38 PM
Did you buy your axioms to enjoy them yourself or sell them? I think Axiom makes some of the best sounding speakers on the market for the money. I'd say enjoy them and don't worry about it.
Posted By: CV Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 05:41 PM
It always makes upgrading to the newer Axioms easier if you can sell your current ones at a higher price, but personally, I always just pass my stuff on to family and friends when I upgrade. Speaking of which, when IS my next upgrade? I've been letting myself get distracted.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 05:47 PM
Definitely true CV. I guess I'll be running in to that situation soon. I'm pulling the trigger on a VP180 in 2 weeks and have to decide what to do with my VP150...
Posted By: J. B. Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 05:47 PM
i just finished upgrading, it took me 3 years (including a Kuro);
that's my last upgrade.

i also give the old equipment away, except the JVC Super VHS, which nobody wanted;
i just threw it away.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 05:48 PM
Our work is on a 3 year upgrade cycle for computers. They replace 1/3 of the computers every year. If you follow that upgrade plan J.B. then it should be about time for you to re-upgrade the first component you upgraded 3 years ago smile

"Done Upgrading" is a bold statement. wink
Posted By: J. B. Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 08:41 PM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Our work is on a 3 year upgrade cycle for computers. They replace 1/3 of the computers every year. If you follow that upgrade plan J.B. then it should be about time for you to re-upgrade the first component you upgraded 3 years ago smile

"Done Upgrading" is a bold statement. wink

haha! you're thinking about getting my "used" equipment!

it's downright impossible, as my TV/monitor is a Kuro and i can't upgrade to another one, and the recent "best of" in this equipment category are not good enough for that. i would be downgrading.

so, this is not your lucky day. ;-(

P.S.: you say "done upgrading" is a bold statement.
i can answer that by saying that since 1985 or so, 3 years ago was the first upgrade on my audio/video system.
also, another reason i say it's my last upgrade is because of my age.
i'm older than that.

:-)
Posted By: fredk Re: Used M80"s - 08/28/11 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: J. B.
[i can answer that by saying that since 1985 or so, 3 years ago was the first upgrade on my audio/video system.
also, another reason i say it's my last upgrade is because of my age.
i'm older than that.

:-)

That is the way equipment purchases should be done. I find it amusing that people want value their stuff so highly. The same people probably complain about the retail price of things and other people's used goods.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Used M80"s - 08/29/11 11:24 AM
cost complaints are usual among people who upgrade often, which is not the case for me.
one way i like to calculate the cost of things i buy is a simple formula;
if i buy something that costs $1000 and "upgrade" after a year, then it has cost me $1000/year.
if i upgrade after 10 years, then the yearly cost goes down to $100/year.
a BIG difference; and it's much less budget stretching and, at the same time, a much lower personal physical/mental stress.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Used M80"s - 08/29/11 05:03 PM
Good thinking J.B.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Used M80"s - 08/29/11 05:25 PM
as written below your name, you're a "connoisseur". ;-)
© Axiom Message Boards