Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TonyN VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/25/11 03:38 PM
Hey folks! I have been enjoying my Axiom on wall setup for almost a year now. They are holding up great and I am still quite impressed. But, I am curious if there was any chance or plan to make a VP180 ON WALL Speaker or maybe even a custom deal? I'd love to upgrade my VP150 on wall. I think I could benefit from a better center channel. If there was a weaker area in my HT, I feel it is the center channel. Don't get me wrong, it does a descent job, but every once in a while I find my self wanting a little more out of it.

Thanks for any info!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/25/11 03:51 PM
If it was on-wall, it probably wouldn't be a VP180--I'd guess at least half of the sound of it comes from the extremely deep cabinet. They do (I think?) offer an in-cabinet VP180, but that's as deep as a regular one.
Posted By: cb919 Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/25/11 04:14 PM
Tony, if you're looking for more from your center, have you considered a vertical center instead? I have the in/on wall series and started with the VP150 which was good, but I heard a lot about vertical centers on this forum and had to check one out. I have L&R M22's but don't have that much vertical space under my TV so I tried an M2. My wife and I did as best we could a fair comparison and we both agreed the M2 was a nice upgrade from the VP150. Wish I had known that when I first bought my system as it would have saved some wall patching, but I am very happy even happier with the result now.

Here's the link to my home done comparison of the the VP150 and M2 for center channel duties.

Cheers,
Posted By: TonyN Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/25/11 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
If it was on-wall, it probably wouldn't be a VP180--I'd guess at least half of the sound of it comes from the extremely deep cabinet. They do (I think?) offer an in-cabinet VP180, but that's as deep as a regular one.

Gotcha, makes sense about the cabinet space. Reason I called it the VP180 on wall is because they call the VP150 the same whether it was the full cabinet or on/in wall design. Now that I think of it, I think the amount of cabinet space is part of the reason why the VP180 shines over the VP150. I remember reading a while back that they created the VP180 to please those unhappy with the VP150 (I think?).

Originally Posted By: cb919
Tony, if you're looking for more from your center, have you considered a vertical center instead? I have the in/on wall series and started with the VP150 which was good, but I heard a lot about vertical centers on this forum and had to check one out. I have L&R M22's but don't have that much vertical space under my TV so I tried an M2. My wife and I did as best we could a fair comparison and we both agreed the M2 was a nice upgrade from the VP150. Wish I had known that when I first bought my system as it would have saved some wall patching, but I am very happy even happier with the result now.

Here's the link to my home done comparison of the the VP150 and M2 for center channel duties.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info. I may look into that. I had never really thought about it before, but have seen others mention it here and there. I agree about wishing I knew about this prior to dumping several hundred dollors on the VP150 and messing with the walls...haha.

Thanks again guys!
Posted By: Amie Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/25/11 07:57 PM
Ken is right - there wouldn't be enough cabinet for the number of drivers.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/25/11 09:30 PM
Amie says I'm right! Amie says I'm right, neener neener neener!
Posted By: CV Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/26/11 12:22 AM
She was gritting her teeth the whole time.
Posted By: dakkon Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/26/11 03:33 AM
Originally Posted By: TonyN

I remember reading a while back that they created the VP180 to please those unhappy with the VP150 (I think?).

I though that SRoode (Steve) was the driving force behind having the 180 made?
Posted By: jakewash Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/26/11 03:38 AM
You are correct and Steve has the first retail release.
Posted By: bridgman Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/28/11 02:44 AM
[quote=TonyNI remember reading a while back that they created the VP180 to please those unhappy with the VP150 (I think?).[/quote]

... or to make those with the VP150 unhappy.
Posted By: TonyN Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/28/11 01:17 PM
Okay, so I guess I have 3 options.

1.) Keep the VP150 and deal with it being okay. Not like it's terrible, just seeking that slight improvement I guess (excuses to upgrade something?). This is the logical choice, but since when has home theater ever been logical...? haha

2.) Buy a pair of M2's. Did some research on thertical theory thanks to the above recommendation and it sounds promising. If I where to go this route, I would use both M2's (above/below TV). My question here is how are you folks connecting dual centers to your receiver? I am running and HK 3600 FWIW.

3.) Wait, hope and pray Axiom's VP160 hits a home run and then makes it's way over to "On wall" series asap. Feels like a chance I could be waiting for a while, if not forever. This is probably my favorite choice though.

Wonder how 2 M2's would look on my wall....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/28/11 01:18 PM
I think cabinet volume is probably going to be the deciding factor with the 160 as well, but that's just a guess.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/28/11 01:25 PM
Concerning connecting dual speakers on the same channel. I do this by using banana plugs that will plug into each other. For instance, I plug the lower center banana plug into the receiver, then I plug the upper center banana plug into the banana plug that's plugged into the receiver.
Posted By: Murph Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/28/11 01:28 PM
There is an obscene joke in there somewhere. I know there is but I think I need more coffee. It's just not coming to me.
Posted By: TonyN Re: VP180 "On Wall"? - 11/28/11 01:34 PM
Yeah, I definitely agree about the cabinet volume, especially considering the larger drivers the VP160 is packing (it is quite a beast). But I can dream right? haha

So okay fine, how about a VP155 On Wall smile

Add some overall width/height while keeping the depth the same as current on walls. W T/M W utilizing (2) 5.25, a 4" mid and 1" Tweeter up top.

© Axiom Message Boards