Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JeremyM Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 08:09 PM
Hi Folks, just unpacked and installed my brand new Axiom speakers and have been running them gently for a few hours. (Very excited!) I have run the Audyssey EQ on my Marantz but I can tell the EQ is changing already as the cones loosen up. Can any of you recommend how long they need to be run in for properly? I know I'll need to run the Audyssey again but would like to wait until everything has settled down. I've seen around 20 hours mentioned here and there with other manufacturers but would love to get some first hand knowledge from you experienced forum members please. Also, any other tweaks or tips you can offer?
Your input is much appreciated - thank you!
Posted By: Wid Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 08:14 PM

They settled in the minute you started listening. Go ahead and turn it up, you're not going to hurt a thing.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 08:14 PM
Read this link

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=364530#Post364530
Posted By: JeremyM Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 08:26 PM
Thank you for the article. It's probably just my head changing shape as the adrenalin levels come down a bit then.
Posted By: JeremyM Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 08:36 PM
Will Do. Guess I need to break out the 1812 Overture and Motorhead SACD (but not necessarily in that order) and stop messing about. The mrs thinks I look like the guy in the old Maxell commercial already but I'll put on the seat belt and raise it up a few db's.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 08:40 PM
Sure. There are a lot of factors at play here. Some of which is psychological.
Posted By: JeremyM Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 08:55 PM
Agreed. It's so hard to tell and completely subjective unless you're using reference software. I've been in the business a long time and used to be a recording engineer so have a pretty well tuned ear but perhaps it's time I had all the wax removed again or hit the aural RAM reset button!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 09:15 PM
That looks like a wonderful system you have, and I will be interested to read your review in due course. Stick around and give us the benefit of your wisdom and experience.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 09:29 PM
Welcome!

Giants or Jets?

Mets or Yankees?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 09:35 PM
Tu-MAY-to...Tu-MAH-to....
Posted By: JeremyM Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 11:11 PM
Thank you. Just got a new man cave so it was time for a clean sweep. This is my first experience with Axiom's but after much research I replaced my older B&W / JBL Northridge / Boston Acoustics setup with something that should be a bit better matched across the spectrum. Am really looking forward to dialing the rig and the room in. Will keep you posted.
Posted By: JeremyM Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 11:16 PM
That's a tough one.

Manchester United for football

Sussex for Rounders
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 11:20 PM
Welcome, Jeremy!
Do yourself a favor, and pickup a Radio Shack sound level meter (unless you have one lying around already) and just balance the system's levels manually w/o Audyssey. Try that for a week or two before running Audyssey again so you have a point of comparison.

Some feel that Audyssey helps, some feel it really hurts. I know you can likely bypass it for comparison, but then the speakers aren't balanced, either.

Give yourself two weeks to establish a baseline!
Posted By: JeremyM Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 11:28 PM
Tu-MAY-to...Tu-MAH-to....

Hah!

Pu-TAY-to...Pu-TAH-to...

And I learned to brew my own beer at school! They didn't offer that to my son at Pre-K here. Something seriously wrong with that.
Posted By: JeremyM Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/24/12 11:42 PM
Thanks Mark. I've been using the Performance Audio app for the iPhone and everything's sitting at 75db pretty nicely right now which is not too far from where the Audyssey put it. I've been A - B'ing the direct and Audyssey modes. Just really need to work on the cross over points and do some sub and manual eq tweaking but I do feel like the ball is still moving a little. It's probably because the Outlaw amp & sub need to settle in just as much as the speakers, they only have a few hours on them too.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/25/12 12:00 AM
no breakin required, just crank them up.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/25/12 01:01 AM
Originally Posted By: JeremyM
Manchester United for football

Damn straight, dude!

Here's a song you'll enjoy.

WARNING - The f bomb is dropped.
Posted By: JeremyM Re: Breaking in Speakers. - 02/25/12 02:28 AM
Damn straight, dude!

Here's a song you'll enjoy.

WARNING - The f bomb is dropped.

Nice! Axiom should be the official speaker at Old Trafford.
© Axiom Message Boards