Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mariouzzi Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 08:00 PM
Well, my new townhouse has presented me with yet another problem. It seems that my wall studs are metal, not wood! How am I supposed to mount my QS4s? Please excuse me if this has been answered, I have no internet and am typing from my phone which is a PITA. I have full metal brackets, just can't screw then into a stud.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 08:11 PM
Drill a pilot hole through the metal, a little smaller than the screw, first. You may have to use metal screws, instead of wood screws.

You might try this on the inside of a closet first, until you get the correct size of hole screw combination. Then just stuff the small holes made in the drywall with some spackel.
Posted By: mariouzzi Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 08:28 PM
Do I need a special drillbit? The one I'm using won't go through the metal. Or maybe I'm being overly cautious.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 08:42 PM
You might need a bit made for metal. I've always been lucky and the cheap bits I've always used will drill through metal. Just have to use a little patience and keep drilling with some pressure, but not enough to break the bit. If that doesn't work, then it's off to the hardware store.
Posted By: mariouzzi Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 08:45 PM
The speakers are less than ten pounds, could I just use some anchors or molly bolts in the drywall? Most of my search results discuss mounting TVs, not speakers.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 08:48 PM
I use only anchors for my QS8s. So far, so good, but...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 09:00 PM
I think anchors should work fine.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 09:04 PM
i use anchors too. all's well.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 09:39 PM
Anchors, toggle bolts, molly bolts, they all should work. I've used (and am currently using) them to hold up my QS8s. Have been doing so for about 8 years in 3 different installs without issue.

OR

Just use a regular drill bit and drill into the metal studs.

OR

Just use "self tapping" metal (not wood) screws and they should pull themselves right into the metal stud.

Personally, the toggle/molly bolts are my favorite way. VERY secure.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/08/12 09:57 PM
The metal studs are probably 12 gauge at best. A regular bit will go right through them just fine. I am currently using E-Z Ancor Twist-N-Lock dry wall anchors to hold up a pair of 15lb speakers.. They are working just fine and have been for the last 2.5 years.

Here is a link to the product that i am using.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_71529-2191-11364...&facetInfo=

If you do decide to go into your studs, do what nick said, use self taping screws, this will eliminate the need for you to drill a pilot hole into the metal.

Good luck.
Posted By: rprice54 Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/09/12 02:16 AM
my QS8s are on the wall using drywall anchors, 3 years and running with no issues.

In the whatever it's worth category, metal studs should drill pretty easy with self tapping metal screws- they don't pre drill when they are hanging drywall, if you're having to force the issue, be sure you're not drilling through a metal plate that may be in place to protect something like a gas line or plumbing behind the wall. Our county codes require metal plates to be placed on the studs wherever the PVC plumbing passes through them to be sure you don't drill a hole into the pipe.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Wall mounting problems. - 06/09/12 02:50 AM
I've used those same Twist-N-Lock deals for other stuff. Some of them are rated at like 75 pounds per anchor and they are SUPER easy to put up. I used them for hanging some large paintings and such, but I could see them holding up some QS speakers just fine.

Good call!
© Axiom Message Boards