Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dakkon Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/13/12 06:40 PM
I have a buddy who received his 103 a few weeks ago... I am now thinking about getting the 105... My same friend recently got a peachtree DAC for his stereo system.... The 105 uses the same saber32 DAC which is similar to the chip that peachtree uses, this is why i bring up the peachtree product..

The new Oppos's also stream Netflix in 5.1 audio.. My buddy said that streaming Netflix from his 103 was better quality than a DVD, but not as good as Blu Ray... He said that the audio was also pretty decent as well....

I am thinking that the hardware is finally catching up to the Software (streaming)..

Is anyone else thinking about getting a 105 or 103?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/13/12 06:55 PM
I was thinking about the 103 pretty strongly, but I'm waiting to see what bugs there are. And to scare up the $500.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/13/12 09:28 PM
I was going to until Cat brought up all of his problems. Thanks Cat! I am going to stick with my old reliable until I can segue into the feature set I want on a reliable platform.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/13/12 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
I was going to until Cat brought up all of his problems. Thanks Cat! I am going to stick with my old reliable until I can segue into the feature set I want on a reliable platform.

One persons experience is hardly a gauge of a product. I have had my bdp93 for well over a year and never had a disc it would not play. I upgraded the firmware when i first got it and haven't had to upgrade since. It's quiet to the point of having to listen to make sure its really on. Only complaint is the ir is a tad finicky. I have been in touch with oppo and they have a app in the works. Oppo gets 5 stars from me and i am hard to please.

richard
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 02:59 PM
I can second that. Although I have had my 93 for only 6 months it has been trouble free. Good enough to recommend to my friends.

Jeff
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 03:13 PM
Still, a 93 is not a 103 (or a 105!). If it was, they wouldn't have released a new one.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 03:16 PM
Same here, had mine for two years now and zero problems.Love it!
Posted By: dakkon Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 03:24 PM
i thought about a 93... even called Oppo about it; but, when they said it streamed netflix in 2 channel and did not have the hardware to stream in anything greater than 2 channel i decided against it....

i would also clasify Brian (cat) as a power user, he most likely uses his machine more than most of us. So, by that fact alone, he is more likely to encounter more problems...

no piece of electronics is 100% solid... just ask a windows user( yes, i went there.... shocked )
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 06:37 PM
What model does Catbrat have? There were indeed some issues with the 8x, the 9x was much better, I can only imagine the 10x will be better still.

I'm seriously considering the 103.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 07:49 PM
I have a BDP95 that I purchased early last summer and it is a great player. I must admit, aside from the boosted up analog section of the 95 over the 93, vanity overcame me and I purchased the 95 primarily because I liked the "look" of it better. It has been trouble free and Oppos service and regular firmware updates, despite the price, generally substantially increase the shelf life of their products over anyone else.

The HDMI "in" capability, among other things, is intriguing to me on these new players and given one can use an external source and utilize the internal video processing of the player, to me, is worth the "price of admission" alone. If this what I think it is I may sell my 95 and replace it with a 105. (Once again vanity may prevail).
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 08:03 PM
The android app for the bdp 93 and up players is now available from google play if anyone is interested.

Also , hopefully oppo has put an led behind the eject button on the newest player. This is a real annoyance though the app will help now.
It seems they made alot of changes and improvements and upgrades yet the price is the same as it was when i bought mine. very impressive
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 08:32 PM
I also may be in the market for an oppo within the next couple of months, and will take a good hard look at their product line. But I'm curious as too another player or two that one might consider as well. If the oppo is the Cadillac, what might be the Buick?
Posted By: dakkon Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 10:04 PM
Gary, Oppo is like the Rolls Royce... the next step is a cadalic/buick... there was a high end company that put a bd83 inside of their own case and sold it under their name... a 500$ player inside another companies shell being sold for 3,000ish$$..... Denon would be the next option, but in my opinion, i wouldn't bother with anyone elses product other than oppo... oppo designs/manufacturers the chips and everyone else buys their chips... who's gonna hae the best stuff first......?

Also, for 500$ the 103 is an expensive player, but i think they are finally getting to the point that the upgrade cycle will be longer... my BD83 has been a great machine and the main reason for my upgrade is netflix, as well as balanced connectivity... also the new chips will be nice as well....
Posted By: Gary Vose Sr Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/14/12 11:06 PM
Alex I've done a little research since first posting here and agree with you wholeheartedly. Their feature set really did blow me away, especially 4K up scaling. I see a 103 in my future.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
there was a high end company that put a bd83 inside of their own case and sold it under their name... a 500$ player inside another companies shell being sold for 3,000ish$$.....

It was Lexicon that got all the bad press for that move. They've been smart enough to discontinue the player, and not pull that stunt again.
http://www.lexicon.com/Products/Details/16

Someone should have ridiculed Theta Digital, because they're still selling dressed up '83 for $3000.
http://www.thetadigital.com/compli_blu_info.shtml
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 02:08 PM
But it's optimized!

Just like Acer computers are "Professionally Tuned."
Posted By: J. B. Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 02:16 PM
i got a BDP-83 and haven't had any problems with it and it plays superbly; but you guys are doing your best to make me buy a more recent one!
Posted By: casey01 Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Gary, Oppo is like the Rolls Royce... the next step is a cadalic/buick... there was a high end company that put a bd83 inside of their own case and sold it under their name... a 500$ player inside another companies shell being sold for 3,000ish$$..... Denon would be the next option, but in my opinion, i wouldn't bother with anyone elses product other than oppo... oppo designs/manufacturers the chips and everyone else buys their chips... who's gonna hae the best stuff first......?

Also, for 500$ the 103 is an expensive player, but i think they are finally getting to the point that the upgrade cycle will be longer... my BD83 has been a great machine and the main reason for my upgrade is netflix, as well as balanced connectivity... also the new chips will be nice as well....

As already mentioned, the company was "Lexicon" and I believe Audioholics exposed them for their dastardly deeds. They tried to sell everyone on the idea that they changed some of the innards and "upgraded" them, however, when a further investigation was made and the Lexicon was taken apart, they couldn't find any real meaningful difference in the internal layout. By the way, they wanted $3600 for it, probably, just because the Lexicon name was on the front panel.

If a so-called "high-end" company is using Oppo's products as its base design, one might as well buy the Oppo for a lot less money.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 03:29 PM
Mine is the BDP-93 model. I've had it around a year, or a little less. I play an average of about 1.5 movies a day. Also, I keep my firmware up to date on all my equipment. It played all of my disks, but if it gets locked up, then unplugging it and plugging it back in resets it and it works fine again. The last time it locked up on me was last week.

I might try one of the newer models, and just assume I currently have a dud. Then if it also starts acting up on me, well, it'll definitely be the last OPPO I buy.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Mine is the BDP-93 model. I've had it around a year, or a little less. I play an average of about 1.5 movies a day. Also, I keep my firmware up to date on all my equipment. It played all of my disks, but if it gets locked up, then unplugging it and plugging it back in resets it and it works fine again. The last time it locked up on me was last week.

I might try one of the newer models, and just assume I currently have a dud. Then if it also starts acting up on me, well, it'll definitely be the last OPPO I buy.

An obvious question but, perhaps have you ever contacted Oppo tech support directly on this one? Prior to purchasing my "95", I had a BDP83(that I ultimately sold) which after about a year, started to have problems playing one particular disc which although I didn't have a "lock-up" issue it just wouldn't read it and start to play as normal. After E-Mailing Oppo tech, they advised to clear any of the internal storage which, in my case, ultimately solved the problem.

Of course, like computers, with any software based equipment, issues sometimes can never be 100% corrected.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 03:51 PM
No, never contacted OPPO. I will try clearing internal storage, if I can find the option, and see if this fixes anything, though. The lockup only happens about once a month or so. It's the video movement quality that has me worried at the moment. I'm thinking about buying a cheaper, but good quality, BD player just to see if that fixes any problems.

When I originally bought my OPPO 93, I had also just bought a new Panasonic model. From A/B comprison, I couldn't detect any difference using the Samsung 32 inch LCD model I had at the time. Now I have a Panasonic 65VT50 and it might be a different story.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 04:00 PM
Is there an advantage of the 105 over the 103 models if you not going to be using the DAC feature?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 04:47 PM
Perhaps I didn't phrase the question correctly. I think the 85, 95, 105, provides for analog input. If I'm not using analog input, is there any reason to purchase the 85, 95, 105 over the 83, 93, 103 models?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 04:51 PM
I'm currently thinking about the Panasonic DMP-BDT500. To me, it looks to be a lot like the OPPO, for my use, for about 1/2 of the price, using Amazon.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 05:17 PM
Seems I'm not the only one to experience problems with the OPPO 93. Here's 2 quotes from AVSforum, at message #38

Quote 1:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I have heard from several people that their BDT-310 offers better video quality through HDMI than the Oppo-93. I also have heard from many people that the Sony S5000ES (which I have) offer better audio quality than the Oppo-93 through 7.1 analog. I am thoroughly impressed with my Sony. Sure, it cannot do 3D (I don't have a 3D projector yet) and it cannot do streaming and stuff. I don't care for that. Just for BD playback my sony kicks ass. I also have a Panny BD-85 for my small system (energy take classic, NAD T744, Panny 54" plasma). Works great!

Build quality is what attracted me to the Sony S5000ES last year and the very desirable price of $350 from AVS store.
End Quote 1

Quote 2:
I have had my Oppo 93 for 3 weeks. And I badly wanted to love it. And I can't. My LG 590 has a better picture and streams Netflix and Vudo cleaner and with less little jaggies. Maybe I just got a bad 93. But, it is going back first thing in the morning. I love the physical look and feel of the Oppo. Also, my old LG 590 responds quicker to with the remote. I hope the new BDT500 will be as good as it appears to be. This is my 2nd Oppo ( 83 and 93) that I had high hopes for and was really disappointed.
End of Quote 2
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 05:32 PM
Is there an advantage of the 105 over the 103 models if you not going to be using the DAC feature?

Other than the larger, more rigid chassis, the only thing the 105 adds is better analog outputs, along with being able to function as a USB DAC for computers (which also makes use of those analog outs).
Posted By: Boltron Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 05:39 PM
Oppo shmoppo! I'll pit my HTPC playback quality of Blurays I rip up against any Bluray player!

/ducks as insults and jeers are hurled my way
Posted By: J. B. Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 05:44 PM
Oppo does include a good test Blu-ray disc when you buy a player.

have you used this disc to compare the Oppo's playback to the your HTPC's playback quality?
Posted By: Boltron Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 06:31 PM
No that particular one but I do have calibration disks I use to calibrate my TV with software and calorimeter.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 09:29 PM
That test BD is really incredible. I bought it separate from an Oppo player.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/15/12 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

Other than the larger, more rigid chassis, the only thing the 105 adds is better analog outputs, along with being able to function as a USB DAC for computers (which also makes use of those analog outs).

the main benifit of the 95, and now the 105 is the dac and analong outs... when the 93/95 were the current models, they had a list of uses and strait up told people if movies were what you were primairly using the player for, to buy the 93....

i liked that about the company, like axiom, they dont seem to try to upsell someone on something that they dont actually need...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Oppo 105, anyone? - 10/24/12 09:23 PM
Well I was going to replace my OPPO 93 with a Panasonic 500, but after reading the reivews of the Panasonic, I decided there were too many defective units out there.

Then I read most of the OPPO 103/105 owners thread on avsforums, and I'm convinced now that I want to purchase the 103. I'll use the 93 as a back up unit. Maybe, next year, I'll buy the 113 and sell the 93, then use the 103 as the back up unit, etc.
© Axiom Message Boards