Axiom Home Page
I've got to tip my hat to the folks at the axiom community. I've spent time in a lot of forums, here, there, and all else where....

You guys here have a great thing going. I've been at AVS, Audioholics, and others. Here it seems there is genuine interest, comradery, and kinship among new and old here.

I'll be the first to admit, I'll probably never buy an axiom product, nor any other online speaker brand. But the value these positive and informative communal posts give is priceless for someone who is looking to find somewhere to ground all of their passion for the hobby.

Take pride in what you have here. It doesn't exits everywhere for sure.! Maybe its a canadian thing, eh?

Cheers.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/09/12 04:31 AM
Thanks for taking the time comment, sir who drives too far to work. smile

We do really like this place.
That's nice. Thank you. It is a good place.
Uh oh, somebody has a bad case of Axiom Deficiency Disorder! Better hook him to my Sonic Capacimatator, stat!

Wait, wrong avatar.
Hell:

Welcome.

I'm sure that you've seen some nasty & less than cordial behavior elsewhere - happens here sometimes as well.

We generally get along pretty well as we have a pragmatic & mature approach to this stuff. There's lots of knowledge lurking here & we're more than willing to help...

TAM
Posted By: fredk Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/09/12 08:24 AM
WEll, we do try to be 'special' around here. grin

Out of curiosity, why is it that feel you are unlikely to buy any online speaker brand?
fredk

I've always had great luck with picking up gear as it goes out of rotation at higher end shops. Right place at right time kind of thing. Got my first (and still going laugh ) Panny Plasma TV as a demo unit. Recently picked up a speaker package that was 1/2 price because they are discontinued and selling off remaining inventory etc. I wouldn't have been able to get into a boutique brand otherwise.

I am also a true beleiver in supporting the local ma and pa brick and mortar stores that are still around. smile

This way I can get awesome value and know exactly what I'm getting. I am also a big fan of demoing in a treated and acoustically designed room-- so I have something to strive for at home. Always reaching for just a little closer to the "store sound." cool
Posted By: CV Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/09/12 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Hellcommute
I am also a true beleiver in supporting the local ma and pa brick and mortar stores that are still around. smile

Then you should buy at full price!
Posted By: Murph Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/09/12 01:27 PM
Now now Charles. He was nice to us. smile
His reasons are as valid as any. Enjoying the hobby is what it's all about.

I read a lot of technical forums for various reasons but this is the only one that I regularly post on and feel a connection to the other regulars with. A rare mix of objectivity to balance out the hardliners. But hey don't get me wrong, a forum needs hardliners too to keep the discussions flowing. Tie in a mash up of very vividly different personalities who don't mind adding a social aspect to the techie talk and ya, it's pretty interesting around here. Kudo's to the admins as well for only ever interfering in a discussion if it becomes shamefully extreme. This adds an air of objectivity. Let's hope they are never forced to do otherwise.

It's not a perfect forum, but certainly the best I've participated in so far.
If buying online speakers was such a bad deal, I wouldn't have bought... 14 of them (returned 3), using 7, sold 2.
Posted By: CV Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/09/12 02:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Now now Charles. He was nice to us. smile
His reasons are as valid as any. Enjoying the hobby is what it's all about.

I sincerely hope he knew I was joking. BTW, OP, I also love Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Posted By: Murph Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/09/12 03:27 PM
I knew you were joking. Just an oppurtunity to poke some fun.
Posted By: wilwom Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/09/12 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
If buying online speakers was such a bad deal, I wouldn't have bought... 14 of them (returned 3), using 7, sold 2.

as Erin Burnett on CNN says "that doesn't add up!"
Originally Posted By: wilwom

as Erin Burnett on CNN says "that doesn't add up!"

I had a hard time adding them up too. Couldn't get it to balance out.

I have 4 that I'm not using, up for sale. Yet I have 14 - 3 = 11 - 7 = 4 - 2 = 2. Should have 4 left over. (Oops forgot about the M2 and M3s).

Bought 2 M22 bookshelf = 2
Bought 2 M22 in/on wall = 4
Returned 2 M22 in/on wall = 2
Bought 2 M22 on wall = 4
Bought 1 VP100 in/on wall = 5
Bought 2 M3 bookshelf for a gift = 7
Gave the M3's away = 5
Bought 1 VP150 in/on wall = 6
Bought 1 EP175 = 7
Returned 1 EP175 = 6
Bought 1 EP350 = 7
Bought 1 M2 real wood = 8
Bought 1 VP160 in cabinet = 9
Bought 5 M22 bookshelf = 14
Sold original 2 M22 bookshelf = 12

Wow, that's a lot of transactions. It's called keep fiddling with it until you get it to sound just right. And I haven't even got to the surrounds yet. I'm prolly on my 6th blu-ray player, and 2nd receiver, and 3rd universal remote.
I'm prolly on my 6th blu-ray player

How come? I'm on my first, a PS3.
Originally Posted By: medic8r
I'm prolly on my 6th blu-ray player

How come? I'm on my first, a PS3.

After about 1 year of use the loading and playing mechanism get sluggish in use. Other than that, they are usually good players, although I'm glad to get rid of a one of them with problems.

Panasonic BDP-30
Panasonic BDP-60 (the one with problems)
Panasonic BDP-210
Sony BDP-500
OPPO BDP-93

I've given the first 4 away to a good home.

I guess there has been 5. I plan on buying an OPPO BDP-103 sometime soon.
HTPC is the way to go IMO. Rip your Blurays to disk and watch. It does however cost more (for storage space) and does take a good bit of computer know how.
Posted By: fredk Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/09/12 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Hellcommute
fredk

I've always had great luck with picking up gear as it goes out of rotation at higher end shops. Right place at right time kind of thing. ...

Good reason. I was expecting something about not being comfortable buying sight unseen.

When I started my search, I really wanted a pair of Paradigm Studio 40s. Do did everyone else.

On the whole I got a great deal here. bought the speakers, got the forum thrown in for free. wink
Funny you mentioned Paradigms. I came here because I'd heard a set of their Signature S8's with the matching centre and surrounds in a high end shop. Was blown away by how much better they sounded than what I owned. Then I was even more blown away when I asked what the system would cost!

I ended up poking around the used market but was still surprised at the typical used asking price. Then I came here. Too bad I arrived just a few months before the new LFRs were announced! Anyway the M80's were excellent though it is hard to tell if they were fully as good as the S8's. Now with the LFRs and an ADA1500 it may be even better! I need to revisit that shop for another listen...

And the forums here are truly a great bonus!

Happy weekend everyone!!
I used to buy local as well until I found out I was paying way to much for a name brand, and realized that my Axioms sound better than speakers costing much more. I get better customer service and not as much BS from salesman that don't have a clue.
CatBrat:

I got dizzy just reading your list.

How boring I am - I used my AX2s & Velo F1000 for 20 years before finally retiring them in pristine & fully operational condition a few months ago. They are now languishing in my garage & feeling quite lonely I'm sure...

TAM
Posted By: fredk Re: Gotta Say....pretty, pretty, pretty good. - 11/10/12 02:07 AM
Originally Posted By: cohesion
Funny you mentioned Paradigms. I came here because I'd heard a set of their Signature S8's with the matching centre and surrounds in a high end shop. Was blown away by how much better they sounded than what I owned. Then I was even more blown away when I asked what the system would cost!

I ended up poking around the used market but was still surprised at the typical used asking price. Then I came here. Too bad I arrived just a few months before the new LFRs were announced! Anyway the M80's were excellent though it is hard to tell if they were fully as good as the S8's. Now with the LFRs and an ADA1500 it may be even better! I need to revisit that shop for another listen...

And the forums here are truly a great bonus!

Happy weekend everyone!!

There was a guy who had both the Signature towers and M80s. They were not in the same league, but certainly cut from the same cloth (flat frequency response, neutral sound). He loved his Signatures, but thought the M80 were an outstanding value for the $.
like I said, pretty, pretty, pretty good. laugh

© Axiom Message Boards