Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CV Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 04:41 PM
In case you didn't see, Outlaw Audio is finally releasing a processor:

Model 975 7.1 HDMI AV Surround Processor

Unusual to see a slimline, but I always wondered why they needed to be so tall without amps. The unit isn't what I'm looking for, but I like the reasonable price, the look, and I'm happy Outlaw was able to complete it. If they make a higher model with a little more robust feature set, multiple subwoofer outs, and balanced XLR connections, I'd consider them.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 05:01 PM
I saw that this morning and really like it. It reminds me of my old NAD preamp.

I'm not really in the market at the moment, but I would like to consider it and compare it's features (or lack of) when I'm ready for something new.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 05:14 PM
Yeah, timing is everything. I think the market passed that feature set already. I won't take the time to list all the functionality it lacks compared to my current or future needs, but hey, at least it has S-Video outputs. crazy

I'm sure there will be people who are pleased and who think it sounds fantastic. Good for them.

I think the market should (and will) gravitate towards FEWER things in one box. Or at least moving some of the features we currently see bundled into other places. I mean, why have the tuner in the processor? Didn't we know 40 years ago that having a separate chassis for that function was better and more flexible in almost every way? Who even uses a radio tuner nowadays? And why all the video processing when people who will care deeply about that (Mike...) already have access to cost-effective outboard units that are probably even better?

I don't know. I think "vision" would gravitate more towards network integration, multiple zones, multiple outputs, control via existing, ubiquitous hand-held platforms, etc.

Beyond alleged improvements in fidelity, why would anyone buy this thing? I'm not trying to be argumentative; I really want to know.
Posted By: Murph Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 05:20 PM
I had some of those thoughts too Tom. It will probably do what it does quiet well but it does not do enough to make it appeal to me.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

Beyond alleged improvements in fidelity, why would anyone buy this thing? I'm not trying to be argumentative; I really want to know.

I'm thinking exactly the opposite. What's it missing that would make me NOT want to buy it?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 05:39 PM
It's pretty light on HDMI inputs.

At least it's a sane price.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 05:43 PM
I know most receivers and processors have more, but I guess I'm thinking:
1- a good universal player (think Oppo that will also play my SADD and DVD-A discs)

2- TiVo

3- a 25' HDMI cable to plug in my laptop or tablet

4- Extra! Bonus connector which I don't even have now! smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 05:44 PM
I think this piece would be awesome with 5 of their monoblocks.

Wait- Are the lights blue???
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 05:53 PM
Oh, fine. You're going to make me do the analysis. wink

My frame of reference is my current receiver - an Onkyo TX-NR805 that is obviously not "recent".

Here are some things I already have and value that seem to be lacking on the Outlaw:
  • Zone 2/3 support
  • Zone 2 trigger
  • Audyssey MultiEQ XT

Here are some things I want my next switcher/processor to have:
  • multiple HDMI Outputs
  • more than 4 HDMI inputs
  • Dolby Loudness
  • Dolby EQ
  • Multiple subwoofer outputs
  • Network connectivity
  • Control via iPad or Android

Mark, you should just buy some vintage NAD separates for a non-HT system.
Posted By: Murph Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 06:01 PM
Admittedly, every consumer has different needs. However for me personally it lacks,
- Zone 2 support
- At least 2 HDMI outputs (TV & a projector in the adjoining room)

Also, although I don't have it now, my next device would require
- network conenctivity &
- iPad & Android remote control.

Although I personally didn't like the results for me, I find it odd that a new processor would not include some form of automated setup tool such as Audyssey.

Just my 2 cents while we can still find pennies around.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 06:53 PM
Hey, thanks, CV, for the post. I have the Outlaw 990/7125 combo, so I'm pretty much their target demographic for this unit.

I've been inactive at the Outlaw Saloon and off their email list for a while, so I hadn't heard. Thanks again, Northwest Lad!!!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 08:07 PM
It looks like it has everything I would need, except room correction processing, or some form of equalizer.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/16/12 11:38 PM
Looks good to me, and they did mention it didn't have some of cons mentioned above, for ex. Mult XT, which some bitch about anyway.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/18/12 03:13 AM
I tried flipping audyssy on and off. On I've bot better high end, sometimes too bright in female voice range. Off, too much bass, not enough highs.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/18/12 01:45 PM
Can you rig up your fronts so 14 of them have Audyssey engaged, while 12 of them have it turned off? grin
Posted By: medic8r Re: Outlaw Audio Model 975 - 11/18/12 02:17 PM
You hockey puck@!
© Axiom Message Boards