Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jon_Webb Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 04:47 PM
Howdy everyone, I have run into a classic conundrum and am looking for a little guidance. I've renovated my AV area and I am now getting ready to install my rear surrounds. As with everything online, there are so many conflicting views, I can't even begin to make a decision. In the end, I realize that experimentation will come into play, but I'd like to narrow things down some.

Here are the facts:

1) The listening position is only about a foot from the rear wall. (This will not change, as I have a wife who has made the ruling. Don't even suggest I try to change this. If you have a significant other, you know what I'm talking about!)

2) My rear speakers are Fluance AVBP2 Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers (until I can upgrade to the QS4's).

3) The room area is about 10 X 14, and is actually one side of a larger room, there is a delineation via a structural beam.

My plan is to install the speakers directly on the back wall about the typical height of 2-3 feet above ear level and about 6 feet apart.

I could also mount them high on the left wall and high on the right on the beam, and then aim at the listening position. I just won't have anything for the right side to reflect off of.

Questions:

Does this seem like a good starting point?

Should I be mounting the speakers to adjustable bracket mounts, or do bi-pole speakers not need the be aimed?

Please help my break the indecision!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:15 PM
Yes. I think you have it nailed.

I'd put them on the rear wall like you said.

Those speakers look like they are designed to be mounted flush with the wall like the Axiom QS series. You don't need to aim them.

You don't save either a lot of space or a lot of money by getting the QS4's instead of the QS8's. Also, you might find that the Fluance speakers are perfectly nice for surround duty in that application. There may be other upgrades that should be a higher priority.

It's supposed to be fun wink
Posted By: Murph Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:19 PM
I agree with Tom. Nothing wrong with working to do the best you can with what you've got.

Curious, what do you have for side surrounds and where are they situated?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:28 PM
I thought he was doing 5.1. Perhaps you ought not agree with me so readily.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:34 PM
He's in Canada, Tom, so that's 7.1 Metric, eh?
Posted By: Murph Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:43 PM
That's why I asked Tom. I didn't want be presumptuous and ask if there was a possibility of moving them to the sides if he already had side surrounds.

And Mark, you're just jealous we have the hot chick in the band Metric. Snicker smile
Posted By: Jon_Webb Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:45 PM
Thanks for the posts!

I am doing a 5.1 at this time. I'll probably expand to 7.1 when there is more source material available to take advantage of it.

I'm just finishing the install of my Axiom VP100 center channel. I opted for in-wall to try and keep curious little one's from poking at them.

More than anything I've been fretting over the rear placement. I suppose I also have the Audyssey in the Denon receiver to help compensate if it's not perfect placement.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:48 PM
I have a pair of M80s that will probably need all the drivers replaced by the time my kids are old enough to know better. For now, I leave the covers on and pretend I don't know about it.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Jon_Webb
... My rear speakers are Fluance AVBP2 Bipolar Surround Sound Satellite Speakers

I thought I sensed a disturbance in the Force. I'll dispatch a remedy immediately.
Posted By: Jon_Webb Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 05:53 PM
Kids are also why my sub is down-firing. Something about the center bubble of a driver is irresistible and requires poking.

I have a bit of a Frankensystem at this time. Budget and all that. I will be slowly migrating to an all Axiom system. A good friend put me on to Axiom and after hearing his setup, I was hooked.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/04/12 07:29 PM
Jon, I have a down-firing sub, too. Although - since my kids are now in/near college - I might be due for an upgrade.

I still think you should put the surrounds behind the seating area. My system was set up in a ~11x14 room with the seating on the wall opposite the display on the LONG sides. I had the QS8's behind/above, and thought it was just great.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/05/12 03:14 AM
Jon, I'd suggest that you separate the surrounds wider, say about 8 feet. Keep in mind that the surrounds in a 5.1 setup are side surrounds(not "rear")and play the side surround channels, even if they're mounted on the back wall. So, they should be separated as widely as possible, so as to give a primarily side, rather than back, effect. They should be about 2-3 feet above ear level and pointed directly forward, not aimed at the listening position.

Because the listening position is almost up against the back wall, it's unlikely that back surrounds in a 7.1 setup will add significantly. I suggest that generally at least 4 feet of space be behind the listeners for back surrounds to form a rear sound field.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/05/12 03:14 AM
Surrounds out to the side about as far as possible on the rear wall has good effect for 5.1. I have mine on the side walls with my seating area out about 18inches from the back wall and this works for me, I have pics in my link below.
Posted By: Jon_Webb Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/05/12 12:40 PM
Thanks guys! I'll make rough up some stands with 2x4's and experiment a bit before the final mounting.

Also, I'd just like to say that this is a great forum community. It's nice to have folks who are passionate and so willing to share experience and ideas. Cheers to you all!
Posted By: Cohesion Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/07/12 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Jon_Webb
Thanks guys! I'll make rough up some stands with 2x4's and experiment a bit before the final mounting.

Also, I'd just like to say that this is a great forum community. It's nice to have folks who are passionate and so willing to share experience and ideas. Cheers to you all!

That's a good idea! Just so you know, the THX specifications for the side surrounds actually recommend that they go on the side walls a bit forward (towards the screen) from the listening position. However, this basically assumes that you'll be using one or more rear surround on the back wall. Nevertheless, I'd try both -- and give preference to the side walls especially if I thought I'd ever possibly want to install the rear surround(s) for a full 7.1 or 6.1 system. If you're sure you never will, or don't mind potentially moving them, then the rear wall is fine too.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Analysis Paralysis - 12/08/12 02:42 PM
Your description is very similar to how my room is setup currently. My rear seating row is up against the back wall with the rear surrounds mounted as you mention. They are apart about the width of the couch. The side surrounds are mounted a little higher and angled down toward the listening room using the Axiom mounts. Don't worry about not having one wall open, at one point before I enclosed my theater will walls, I had 2 sides wide open.
© Axiom Message Boards