Axiom Home Page
Posted By: blastermaster Best for rear surrounds? - 12/23/12 12:58 AM
Hello,

I recently upgraded my fronts and my side surrounds. I have the QS8's and they are fantastic. I have an older pair of monopole Infinity's and am always looking to make things better. Is a monopole speaker the best solution for the rears, or would I get better surround sound by going with another pair of QS8's or QS4's for the rears or just getting better monopoles like the M3? Thanks.
Posted By: fredk Re: Best for rear surrounds? - 12/23/12 01:13 AM
a monopole will work if you have enough distance behind you to allow the sound to diffuse, but a QS series speaker really is the best as they are much less sensitive to distance and position.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Best for rear surrounds? - 12/23/12 02:48 AM
Blaster, as Fred pointed out, if you have considerable distance behind the listening position(say, 10')monopole speakers can work well. However, overall the QSs are advantageous.
Posted By: solarrdadd Re: Best for rear surrounds? - 12/23/12 03:32 AM
i use to use QS8's for my surround rears but found that because the listening position was almost 15' away/behind that i had to change them out and go to M2v3 on-wall speakers in order to really make it work right.

that's not a knock at the QS8v3's either. it's an issue of how they work and the hugh distance from the listening position. for me, to get channels 6 & 7 to work like i feel they should, i went with the M2v3 on-wall speakers.

i went with the on-wall because we didn't want the speakers to stick out farther than the QS8's did so i decided to try the on-wall M2's and they worked out great.

they give me enough meaningful volume to work nicely into a 7 channel surround atmosphere that works and works well. i get all the nice highs and midrange from them. also i know that you don't get the LF out of the on-wall but that's what crossovers and subs are for! wink i had the QS8's for about 6 months before switching them out with the M2's. i've now had the M2's for about 3 months and this is what i needed. i'd say if i was inside the 10' mark say closer to 8', no question, the Q's would be there but, at 10' and > you need direct radiating speakers...at least to me.

good luck, keep us posted whatever you choose to do.
Posted By: INANE Re: Best for rear surrounds? - 12/23/12 05:48 PM
I'm not saying the extra rear surrounds are completely worthless but I wouldn't lose much sleep over them either. In my previous HT room I had some direct radiating speakers for the 6/7 channels and in my currently HT I have some old QS4's that I'm using.

The rooms are different and my situation was similar to solardadd's. I would give the same recommendation but I would also add that if you already have some speakers to use back there, use them and spend your money on other components. I have yet to find much content that makes those channels necessary and yes I always enable PLIIx/NEO:6 for 5.1 material.
© Axiom Message Boards