Axiom Home Page
Posted By: huskydave Which poweramp? - 12/29/12 09:13 PM
Im looking at getting a 2 or 3 channel poweramp. I am very interested in Axioms ada amps but I can't find much info/reviews on them. I am also looking at emotiva amps just because they are in my budget and bryston amps on the used market. I am leaning more towards a used bryston 4b. I have a pair of m80's and plan on purchasing axioms large center channel and will probably get bowers and wilkens small satelites for the rear and mid room speakers. I have a pioneer vsx 9040thx (80w per channel) and plan on using it to power the rest of the speakers. I am looking for loud clean neutral sound. Im trying to stay around 400-1500 range but I can spend more if I am getting a better product. I had also considered buying 2 used bryston 2b amps and bridging them.
Posted By: Boltron Re: Which poweramp? - 12/29/12 10:58 PM
I have an 3 ch ADA1000 for my M80s and VP150. The amp is excellent. My receiver is a Denon 4311CI. It all works great together.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Which poweramp? - 12/29/12 11:16 PM
Outlaw amps are popular amongst some members here. Another route you could consider is a pro amp, best bang for the buck.
Posted By: Cohesion Re: Which poweramp? - 01/02/13 01:43 AM
Originally Posted By: huskydave
Im looking at getting a 2 or 3 channel poweramp. I am very interested in Axioms ada amps but I can't find much info/reviews on them. I am also looking at emotiva amps just because they are in my budget and bryston amps on the used market. I am leaning more towards a used bryston 4b. I have a pair of m80's and plan on purchasing axioms large center channel and will probably get bowers and wilkens small satelites for the rear and mid room speakers. I have a pioneer vsx 9040thx (80w per channel) and plan on using it to power the rest of the speakers. I am looking for loud clean neutral sound. Im trying to stay around 400-1500 range but I can spend more if I am getting a better product. I had also considered buying 2 used bryston 2b amps and bridging them.

I have an Axiom ADA1500 and think it is awesome. However this would be a bit over your budget. I have not seen any reviews though you may be able to listen to one in a current owner's system.

I think Emotiva makes a very good amp for the money too. Which model are you considering?
Posted By: JBG Re: Which poweramp? - 01/02/13 01:38 PM
Emotiva has an x-mas speacial for this last week.. but they are AB class amps...

you might want also look at d-sonic amps... they are D class amp so are the axiom amps
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Which poweramp? - 01/03/13 02:44 AM
nothing wrong with A A/B in my book. Love my Outlaw.
Posted By: Jeff_in_the_D Re: Which poweramp? - 01/03/13 01:31 PM
same here, Outlaw Model 7700
Posted By: huskydave Re: Which poweramp? - 01/04/13 11:52 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am looking at the Emotiva xpa2 or xpa3, I have read the xpa2 sounds slightly better. The bryston 4b and the axiom amps. I am very tempted to get the axiom ada 1250 and get the 5 or seven channel model but im woried about using smaller speakers in the rest of my system and having trouble adjusting the speakers so they come close to clipping at the same volume. I have 2 blown speakers because my fronts were power amped and the rest of the 7.0 system was clipping before the fronts. I really like the older poweramps that had an output control knob for each channel, that way you can adjust it manualy. I almost had my wife convinced that we needed another pair of m80's for the rears but I just don't have hardly any room. Im looking at small bookshelf speakers for he rears and the B&W m-1's for the midrooms.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Which poweramp? - 01/04/13 11:56 PM
The amp will only put out for each channel what is called upon it, the rears would not require much.
Posted By: JBG Re: Which poweramp? - 01/05/13 12:32 AM
I have just ordered an emotiva xpa-5 with black trim, this is a temp solution for me until I decide which one to get either d-sonic M2-1750-7 or an axiom ada1500-7 or outlaw 7700
Posted By: JohnK Re: Which poweramp? - 01/05/13 03:10 AM
Dave, there seems to be some sort of misunderstanding. Speakers don't clip; amplifiers may clip if the designed power capacity is significantly exceeded by playing at very loud levels. Using smaller speakers has nothing to do with it. Any multi-channel amplifier can have each individual channel adjusted by varying the voltage sent to it through adjustments in the receiver or separate processor.
Posted By: JBG Re: Which poweramp? - 01/14/13 12:00 AM
Guys don’t get me wrong, I didn't mention anything about the quality of the A/B amps, rather my concern was about efficiency … in my HT room I have a Pj … 12 pot lights.. an amp & ext amp … computer… pvr… amps in my seats for speakers & butt kicker… sub… 2 powered speakers .. analog powered mixer.. everything produces a ton of heat and can get unconfortable very quick espcially in the summer, so I'm always looking ways to reduce the heat.. like the pot lights with led’s.. that’s why I was talking about d class amps, they produce very little heat and are not as heavy as the A/B's because they have no heatsinks..

Originally Posted By: PorterPlex
nothing wrong with A A/B in my book. Love my Outlaw.
© Axiom Message Boards