Axiom Home Page
I'm setting up a new home theater and I am wrestling with what 7.1 system to install. Based on friends' experiences I am considering Axiom.

I was thinking about M60 fronts, VP150 center, EP350 sub, and QS-4 surrounds.

Since I have the space and budget to move up from M50 to M60, that seems like a no-brainer. Same with the VP100 to VP150... especially since some viewers might be farther back in the room.

The real questions seem to be the sub and surrounds.

EP350 or EP500?

Will QS-4s be adequate to fill this room or do I need to upgrade to the QS-8?

I don't want to spend more than I have to, obviously.

If anyone is auditioning in the Seattle area, LMK. smile

Thanks for your input.

MS
I would suggest M60, VP160, QS8s and EP500.

The VP160 is the best upgrade over your original thinking, it will play equally with the M60s, the VP150 is good with dialogue but I found you miss impact from the front with the VP150. The VP160 does everything.
You could get away with QS4, nothing wrong with them, but the QS8s match the rest of the driver scheme and have the same tone.

And the EP350 is a great sub but the 500 does play a little lower and it is noticeable on certain movies with good LFE soundtracks.
I have the ep350 in a room with approx the same area and it works just fine most of rhe time. It strains only on the most bass intensive movies, like Tron Legacy at high volume.
I have both the 350 and 500. The 350 is in a bedroom for casual listening, mostly music and network tv. It works as intended. To get it to balance I still needed to turn the gain way down so there is room to spare with the amp. I had a number of placement issues with it but finally found a good spot for it.

I like the 500. I find if very musical (my key concern in a sub) but honestly a bit pricey. If you are on a budget I would recommend putting money in your front and center and if that means you need to buy a used sub or wait for the sub purchase I think you will come out in the long run. Or else run 5.1 for a bit.

The 60's and vp160 are about the only two axiom speakers I don't own. I love my vp180. The vp150 is in the master and again it performs exactly as I intended for a very nice secondary system.

If you can get to 60's and vp160 on your particular budget I am sure you would be very happy.

Lastly I STRONGLY recommend the custom paint option on any QS speakers. Axiom did a wonderful job my QS-8's and scored MAJOR points on the WAF scoreboard. They blend great on the wall.

Did I mention the custom paint option for the QS?
How many rows of seats will you have? I have a room that is 24 feet long and a hair wider than your room and if I have a single row of seats, I would have stayed with 5.1

I have 7.1 for the space, but really only because of the two rows of seats. I really don't see the benefit of 7.1 for most cases.

With that, use the money that you save from the second set of QS4s and upgrade to the above mentioned VP160 (absolute must in my book since the center channel is arguably the most important speaker in a home theater), get a pair of QS8s which are a nice match for the M60s and VP160 and go with the EP500.

You will have a pretty sweet 5.1 setup vs. a good but somewhat lacking 7.1 setup. Your 5.1 setup will have a much better timbre match in speakers and a more appropriately sized subwoofer. With the 7.1 setup, the components were more along the lines of for a small space (minus the M60s).

You can always wire for 7.1 and add on later if you absolutely feel the need, but at least you won't ever feel the need to upgrade the existing 5.1 speakers you already have.
What Jason and Nick said.

Welcome.
I wouldn't give up my rear surrounds for nothing.. Not sure why so many on this sight don't like them.

My HT is roughly the same size as the OP's. M60's and a VP160 up front with QS8s to the side, back and up front for height channels. Two 500's. Sounds just dandy to me.
I'm running 6.1 with good results. Would be better if my regular surrounds weren't forward of the seating position, but it's much better with them than without. The single rear center helps with the enveloping, but I think 2 might be better.
With more and more Blu-Ray soundtracks(especially the DTS Master Audio versions) resorting to 7.1 audio, I believe the two rear surrounds are a worthy addition. My room is 22 ft. long and the rear surrounds provide a fill that is only noticeable when you remove them. That is the key to having surround speakers.
I am just trying to keep the guy within some sort of budget. Save the rear channels for later and get better surrounds, center, and sub now...

Otherwise you've got a lot to upgrade later on.
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I am just trying to keep the guy within some sort of budget. Save the rear channels for later and get better surrounds, center, and sub now...

Not to mention you will find yourself strangely lusting for Hummers. Do it once, do it right.
But it sounds good now. smile
Center 1st.
The QS4's will surprise you.
Go big.
Be happy.

P.S.
M80's are amazing
Originally Posted By: fredk

Not to mention you will find yourself strangely lusting for Hummers. Do it once, do it right.

H1 or bust...
What did you decide?
To start off with, I'd stick to 5.1 and use the money saved on the second surround speakers to upgrade to QS8's, one of the larger centre channels and/or an EP500 sub or competitors equivalent. You can always upgrade to 7.1 at a later date if you feel like it without compromising on your main components up front.
For me it would depend on how far your sofa is off viewing wall.

If you follow the rule of thirds for standing waves, your sofa should be about 12' off the front wall. This puts your surrounds at 12.5-14 from front and only leaves 4-6 feet of breathing room for your rears. Not ideal.

Too small to take advantage of 7.1 imo.... rears will smear into surrounds and become indistinguishable. Soundfield collapses.

Wouldn't consider at less than 20+ feet or so.

+1 for putting saved dough into good center channel!

Good luck.
P.S. those are nice room dimensions for acoustics. lucky.

Almost ideal golden rectangle.
My room is almost identical in size.
It has 2x 7.1 setups wired from one reciever.
No regrets.
Maybe one, I want better speakers.
Axioms stay.

As Nick says, the OP did kind of mention within a budget. and adding the two rears later is better. He can use that $550 towards and upgraded VP160 and maybe find a bit more for the EP500.

It is not paramount to have 7.1 when a 5.1 will surfice for a few more months.
This places your encompasses at 12.5-14 from front and only results in 4-6 legs of space for your raises. Not ideal.
You might try experimenting with the side surrounds lightly in front of your listening position.
I've done this with different design/brands a few times and am currently with QS8's.
It works very well, hard to clarify with out trying.
At least in my own room, using the receiver to expand a 5.1 signal to 7.1, the sides surrounds add ambiance, almost equivalent to front heights, only closer.
Its one of those don't knock it until you've tried it things.
It comes with the added benefit of being able to raise your arms, clasped behind your head without interrupting the feel of the room/sound field.
I have never know it to be a distraction, it has never brought me out of the scene, ever (when using 7.1).
© Axiom Message Boards