Axiom Home Page
Finally!

I wrote the editor at home theater mag a while ago when my brother was looking at the Axiom M80 package. There are very few print reviews of Axiom out there. Check it out in the July/August issue.

Epid Midi 125 System Reviewed by Mark Fleischmann.

I noticed something strange in the review though. Why are the SPL levels so out of what the specs on the site are? The QS4s were measured at almost 10db lower!! The rest were 5 or 6 db lower. What?! sick They all measured much lower sensitivity than claimed. The EP125 measurements were also interesting...... shocked -3db point measured at 46hz.

I don't think Axiom should specify a different sensitivity for in room vs Anechoic. The anechoic values weren't even met.

For home theater mag this package is definitely in the value category, which I think is why it earned a best buy award. Glad to see axiom is getting more exposure to the american market. I wonder why they didn't send out a flagship package?

Good review to check out.
here is a direct link to the online version

http://www.hometheater.com/content/axiom-epic-midi-125-speaker-system

Please do NOT contribute to the comments below the review. There are already 2 people arguing there..... frown That kind of shit is petty and I don't want it hurting axioms rep on Home Theater's site.

Hey Ian-- how about sending some of the big boys their way? I'd love to hear what they have to say about a flagship system.
The typical crap from people who look at the specs but don't listen to the sound.
Posted By: Andrew Re: Axiom Reviewed in Home Theater Magazine - 07/06/13 02:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Hellcommute
Finally!

I wrote the editor at home theater mag a while ago when my brother was looking at the Axiom M80 package. There are very few print reviews of Axiom out there. Check it out in the July/August issue.

Epid Midi 125 System Reviewed by Mark Fleischmann.

I noticed something strange in the review though. Why are the SPL levels so out of what the specs on the site are? The QS4s were measured at almost 10db lower!! The rest were 5 or 6 db lower. What?! sick They all measured much lower sensitivity than claimed. The EP125 measurements were also interesting...... shocked -3db point measured at 46hz.

I don't think Axiom should specify a different sensitivity for in room vs Anechoic. The anechoic values weren't even met.

For home theater mag this package is definitely in the value category, which I think is why it earned a best buy award. Glad to see axiom is getting more exposure to the american market. I wonder why they didn't send out a flagship package?

Good review to check out.

Hi Hellcommute,

I had a close look at our specifications and the results that Home Theater Magazine obtained and I'm not sure where you are seeing that we are 5-6dB lower than published.
We rate the M2V3 at 86dB anechoic and HT measured 85dB. Note that we tend to average across a larger band (300Hz-3kHz) than HT does (500Hz-2kHz), so this could account for the difference. Then again, a 1dB margin of error is not bad considering they are making a quasi-anechoic measurement and we measure in a chamber.
The VP100v3 is rated at 90dB and HT measured 88dB. Again, I think this is pretty close given the possible margin of error and averaging bandwidth.
The QS4v3 deserves some explanation. Because of its quadripolar radiation pattern, a simple on-axis measurement to determine the system sensitivity does not account for the entire radiated output of the speaker. Our specification takes into account the hemispherical radiation pattern. The 3-face measurement method that HT used also explains the bumpy nature of the system response. Our anechoic hemispherical average is much smoother and more closely reflects the balance you will hear in a room. In all cases our Room Sensitivity measurements are 3-4dB higher than the anechoic measurements because of the contribution of the room reflections and room gain to the perceived sensitivity of the speaker.

I hope that clears up why some of the numbers don't align perfectly with our published specifications.
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the explanation. blush Makes sense. I assumed the measurements from HTmag were taken in room at 1w/1m like everyone else does. I'm not sure what the room they would use would be though, or if in room gain is transferrable between measurement situations.

Are the in room SPL measurements from axiom at 1w/1m taken in the axiom listening room?

Thinking about it more, and reading closely into the "how we test" section here: http://www.hometheater.com/content/how-we-test-audio-page-2 it does seem apparent that these figures are somewhat insignificant when it comes to the final outcome in sound reproduction within a home environment.

HTmag does note that the measurements provided are more of a "stink check" to find glaring issues with products rather than a metric of real world performance.

Thanks again Andrew. smile
Posted By: casey01 Re: Axiom Reviewed in Home Theater Magazine - 07/06/13 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Hellcommute
here is a direct link to the online version

http://www.hometheater.com/content/axiom-epic-midi-125-speaker-system

Please do NOT contribute to the comments below the review. There are already 2 people arguing there..... frown That kind of shit is petty and I don't want it hurting axioms rep on Home Theater's site.

Hey Ian-- how about sending some of the big boys their way? I'd love to hear what they have to say about a flagship system.

The hatchet job the one comment was no doubt just another troll from either the AVS/Audioholics forum. It is very characteristic of them and only them and they tend to show up from time to time on other sites, usually under another name. There is a handful of them who seem to have some sort of hate on for Axiom(strange people).
It is unfortunate but normal people see right through the BS. Let them rant I say. FWIW I can guarantee I know who it is jut by the statements that were made. Everyone has a cause I suppose. All in all it was a decent review, Mark Fleischman pretty much told everyone who reads that mag what we already know. grin
© Axiom Message Boards