Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mrihar Multi Channel Stereo - 01/08/14 01:13 AM
Hi,

I've noticed that my surrounds sound quite a bit louder than my center and left/right mains when in multi-channel stereo mode. Is this normal and if so I have to say it's a little annoying. I'm using 2 QS8s, 2 M80s, 1 VP150 and an EP500.

Has anyone else noticed this and know why that is and how to work around it?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Multi Channel Stereo - 01/08/14 01:27 AM
That's going to be a function of your receiver and its calibration. Need more info.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Multi Channel Stereo - 01/08/14 04:00 AM
If you did the calibration process correctly, with the test tones the surrounds should be at the same level as the mains at the listening position. With actual program material, if you're using multi-channel stereo mode the levels in the mains and surrounds should again be identical because all that mode does is to duplicate the mains material in the surrounds.

It can be suggested that for CDs and other stereo material multi-channel stereo not be used. For better putting the surrounds to work with stereo material use instead a mode such as DPLII or Neo:6. Instead of merely duplicating the mains in the surrounds these modes extract the natural surround ambience mixed into the main channels(there was no place else to put it)and send it to the surrounds where it belongs. This material is slightly delayed in time, slightly rolled off in the treble and slightly lower in volume as compared with the sound played in the mains.

The first point though, is to check that the level calibration step was done correctly.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Multi Channel Stereo - 01/08/14 09:49 PM
For multi stereo, identical speakers should probably be used if you really want the best effect from that mode.
© Axiom Message Boards